Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Bucket List

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
aww thanks.
It's been a great thing, it kind of goes along with my visual board and my one word intention. They all kind of cement things for me. I cross things off and add to it all the time. I actually started with a little notebook and wanted to write 100 Things to do before i Die it evolved into my blog. Another cool thing to do is write down 100 things you love and a 100 things that you dont like. It was sadly much easier to make the don't like list sometimes. (I like beaches, crunchy leaves, massages, raspberry sorbet...i dont like bad drivers, excessive heat, hang nails)

Midnight temple session - I'm LDS (aka mormon) temple usually isn't open 24hrs a day but there have been times that they have done like a 72hour opening and I always wanted to go at midnight. I think it's because I've always wanted to go to midnight mass and thats as close as a Mormon gets to that ;)

message 2: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I love my vision board but I refuse to do a bucket list. I don't really like making long term goals because it can lead to disappointment. It's nice to see more people doing vision boards though. =)

message 3: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jun 04, 2009 01:15PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Back in 2005, I started an "Ultimate Big Dreams "to do" List" in the back of my journals as a result of an article in For Me magazine. I keep the list in the back of each journal, add to it and check things off & write the date when it happens.

The description was, "...it's time to let yourself dream big again be creating your ultimate to-do list. Write down 30 things you'd like to do and then figure out how you can make at least one of them happen - even if it's as simple as reading "Pride and Prejudice" or banishing the word "like" from your vocabulary. It doesn't matter if you can actually do all of them - DREAM!"

I started out with 5 things in that journal (Spring). In my Summer journal, my list grew to have 16 additional things! In my Fall journal, I added a few additional things to the list. In my Winter journal, I added 6 additional things to the list. Currently, my list stands at 37 items and I've crossed off 8 of them! Soon I'll be able to cross off another.

Some of my list includes:
~Write a book (check)
~Publish a book (check)
~Have a huge garden (check)
~Finish reading The Exorcist (check)
~Go to France (Paris & Provence)
~Travel the Mississippi like they did on that old PBS documentary
~Learn to knit (check)
~Got tornado chasing (but rethought this while watching storm chasers getting so excited watching the tornado that wiped out Greensburg & killed so many people)
~Own a farm with an old country farm house, old barn and lots of land where we can see mountains and have a horse, an alpaca, dogs & cats
~Go to Tennessee
~Stop being afraid and worried all time time (sorta check - getting better w/this)

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments OK...right now I have one thing on my 'bucket list' yea just one thing. If I accomplish that, then I may add more! It is to go with my best friend and one of my best friend's daughter...rafting down the Colorado River (Grand Canyon). There is a story behind it. When we first moved to AZ, I was enthralled with the whole rafting the canyon idea. I read a book (imagine that) called Writing Down the River Into the Heart of the Grand Canyon and wrote excerpts to my 2 BF back home. Wanted to get the book, but it was like $30...too expensive for me. My one friend passed away last year. Right after that happened, I went to Goodwill and found three (3) copies of the book for $1 a piece. It was a sign (I thought)! I bought them, sent one to my friend, one to my friend's daughter and kept one. Now we still need to do the rafting trip...in memory of Jenny.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That would be such a sweet tribute to your friend and an incredible experience for all of you Cindy! I hope you're able to do it someday.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks teri and that's a very different way of looking at this and good food for thought.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I don't really have a bucket list or I've just never thought about it before. My main goal in this life is to enjoy fully every opportunity that comes my way. If that's a trip somewhere or a day spent with family whatever it is I'm going to enjoy it completely. The only thing that I would like to do before I die is to spend significant amounts of time in other countries. So traveling abroad is my Bucket List.

message 8: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
For my the bucket list isnt to bring me down or to become disappointed with if I don't do it. It's a list of all the things in life I want to experience. The things in life I want to say "yeah, I did that."
Trying all 31 flavors. How fun would that be to say... not life altering but fun. Knit a sweater. I want to be able to say "I did that" even if one sleeve is longer than the other or the neck hole is big enough for an elephant to wear. I don't really look at them as long term goals or things i HAVE to do. They are wants. Like going through the Sears Christmas cataloge as a kid. They are the things I want to do, some I can do easily, some will take work, others might take a miracle but in the end it makes me happy to see the things that make up another part of who I am. Without my dreams and wants I'm not the same person.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Well said Tera! (Nodding head in agreement)

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli I completely agree with you Tera and I LOVE that you have your list. Says a lot about you and the way you live your life. You want to make sure you take the time to do the things you are interested in....I like that!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Kelly Jo, visiting the ruins of Ancient Egypt is on my list ~ how awe inspiring it must have been for you!

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli That's VERY cute!!!

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Oh Brenda, we went to see the movie 'Bucket List' right after Jeff's father passed away. Let's just say it is the only time I have ever seen him cry in a movie. Think we picked the wrong movie to see at that time.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Teri, that is trés cute! Thanks for the giggle.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 49 comments I love the idea of a bucket list. I have never written down my goals but I think it is such a great idea. This site is so inspiring with the bucket list and the journal writing! I would never my love for books would lead me to this. So with that said here is the start of my bucket list

1) Ski Colorado
2) drive down the coast of California
3) Travel to Europe (anywhere and do anything)

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Andrea-I am right there with you on number 2 & 3! Love Number 3 by the way. Would love to go backpacking Europe but probably wouldn't make it too far before I was ready for a 5 star!

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli Driving down the coast of CA is magnificent. ;)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Since Brenda started a thread for us to list what we can cross off our Bucket Lists, how about we continue listing what's still on our Bucket Lists here?

message 19: by Mandy Sue (last edited Jul 02, 2009 05:05PM) (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Okay, I don't believe in bucket lists....but I guess I can work on this. LOL

1. Pee without interruptions.
2. Go a month without being woken up in the middle of the night.
3. Take a long hot bath until the water gets cool.
4. Watch the sunrise on purpose.
5. Learn the "mom look."
6. Have a diaper free home. (Almost there)
7. Get rid of the play pen and the crib. (Almost there)
8. Sleep in past 9am
9. Have a honeymoon with my hubby.
10. Go a day without tripping over toys or stepping on little legos.

I'm sure I can think of more. But this is a good start.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly Jo! your list is amazing.
Mandy Sue your's will fly by before you know it and you'll wonder where did that time go?

I love what Tera said. For my the bucket list isnt to bring me down or to become disappointed with if I don't do it. It's a list of all the things in life I want to experience. The things in life I want to say "yeah, I did that."
I'm a work in progress so I think mine changes pretty often. Up until last year I was an avid canoer. I miss that and wouldn't mind doing it some more. I never did the Chattooga river which is pretty close to me. That's where Deliverance was filmed. That river is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. It's protected so the water still is so clear that you can see all the way to the bottom. It's amazing.
Another of mine is to hike the Appalachian Trail. I've never had the six months to just take off and do it. But after my kids are older I probably will.
Another want of mine is to go to Scotland. Look up some of my heritage. :)

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) Mandy I love your list.

My scrapbook group all read Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber together and then we each decided to make a scrapbook with our own twenty wishes in it. We are supposed to do write down two wishes a month Feb-Nov. I am a little behind but here is my list so far:

#1 to own my own dream home
#2 to travel to Europe
#3 to spend the night in a castle
#4 to meet Tim McGraw and Brett Favre
#5 to visit Lambeau Field (hope to do this this summer)
#6 to visit the original colonies
#7 go to a Barnum & Bailey circus
#8 go to a PBR rodeo
#9 to take a history class for fun

message 22: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Thanks, Kelly Jo and Angela. I would love to go to Whales and see the castles.

Shelby ~ I know it will go quickly, but then the stress would only be worse. It never ends as a parent, does it?