Modern Fantasy Readers and Writers discussion

First Book: Mistborn > Second Section Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jun 05, 2009 11:28AM) (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
Questions for the second section of reading. Feel free to add your own and we will respond to them.

One of the highlights in Epic Fantasy is the coming together of the party. In Mistborn our group is brought together fairly easily.

What do you think of the way Sanderson drew together all the major players?

Vin continues to develop in this section, and is starting to come more to center stage. Her power has grown, and her relationships have developed toward Kelsier and the group in general.

What do you think of the way Sanderson handled her developement? Is there enough evidence/information showing how the group and Kelsier are breaking down her barriers-give examples if you agree and make suggestions if you don't?

Dialogue can really make a charachter stand out. What are your first impressions of Lestibournes (Spook)? How do you think Sanderson handled his language? Could you understand what he was saying?

The conflict between Marsh and Kelsier has deep seated roots. Did you feel enough tension between them in their exchange after the group came together? If you have read on, does it fit with their overall relationship or seem forced?

message 2: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) What do you think of the way Sanderson drew together all the major players?

Good question. I didn't really like it because for me they were introduced so fast I just thought of them as "the gang" instead of as individuals. Their personalities (except for Breeze) didn't really shine at all by this technique.

What do you think of the way Sanderson handled her developement? Is there enough evidence/information showing how the group and Kelsier are breaking down her barriers-give examples if you agree and make suggestions if you don't?

I thought as a person she developed at just about the right speed. Her barriers never really disappear, just like I'd expect for a real person.

Dialogue can really make a charachter stand out. What are your first impressions of Lestibournes (Spook)? How do you think Sanderson handled his language? Could you understand what he was saying?

I was fine with it because he was a minor character and it added some spice. Although at first I thought Spook was mentally incompetent...

The conflict between Marsh and Kelsier has deep seated roots. Did you feel enough tension between them in their exchange after the group came together? If you have read on, does it fit with their overall relationship or seem forced?

The Marsh Kelsier conflictadded a little spice, I suppose, but it never realyl seemed to go anywhere at all in the trilogy.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 22 comments Mod
What do you think of the way Sanderson drew together all the major players? I liked "the party" here there was a good mix of characters my favorite is probably Breeze - great Bravado. I recently read Neverwhere and the Marquis in that book reminded me of him.

Vin continues to develop in this section, and is starting to come more to center stage. Her power has grown, and her relationships have developed toward Kelsier and the group in general. I start to like Vin more here - the "heavy handed-ish" seems to be relaxed a bit - or maybe I just got used to it.

What do you think of the way Sanderson handled her developement? Pretty good - Again a little "beaten over the head" about her "lack of trust" and not understanding how the team holds together without oppression but as I mentioned I'm liking her better through this portion.

Is there enough evidence/information showing how the group and Kelsier are breaking down her barriers-give examples if you agree and make suggestions if you don't? I think this is done pretty well - I have no real complaints.

Dialogue can really make a charachter stand out. What are your first impressions of Lestibournes (Spook)? It is a nice "spice" and so many author's don't bother to do it. I look at this as a "+" for extra effort but doesn't increase or decrease the book significantly for me.

How do you think Sanderson handled his language? Could you understand what he was saying? There were times that I struggled - but that was fine and I think a plus.

The conflict between Marsh and Kelsier has deep seated roots. Did you feel enough tension between them in their exchange after the group came together? Yes. I think this is one of the very good parts of the book his Kelsier and March's relationship. Both are very different and (I've read the whole book) I think it is one of the better things about the book as a whole. It did not seem forced to me.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
For me, one of the key components of epic fiction is the drawing together of the major players. I think there is a lot of room for showing character development that way. I think Sanderson handled it well. It was not a traditional drawing together, but I think he handled it well and the existence of the crew played well into backstory.

I was a little confused up to this point on who we were following as the main character. I thought it was going to be Kelsier, but started to think it was more about Vin in this section. I still wanted to follow Kelsier's story, but his handling of Vin was ok for me. He did back off the beating over the head approach, but the constant Reen voice was a bit irritating-I mean we get it, she's spooked, untrusting and had a crappy life.

I liked Spook, and I like they way he develops through the series. I love language seasoning, but had a real hard time understanding what he was saying. I had to say it out loud to kind of grasp it.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 22 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "I was a little confused up to this point on who we were following as the main character. I thought it was going to be Kelsier, but started to think it was more about Vin in this section...."

For me the fact that we had both Vin and Kelsier to follow was not a positive - One of my favorite books was "The Stand" and I liked how King jumped between various groups so you were not with one person long and bored but got "breaks" from people and then a reason to want to come back to them.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason | 55 comments Mod
Yeah, the Stand really had multiple plot lines coming to one conclusion-so the breaks were great because you got to see the action from many different sides. It worked really well for King.

In Mistborn you have one plot line that will be coming to conclusion. The shared lead role can be done well and really enhance a book-I hope as that is what I am doing-but Kelsier just overpowered Vin as a Character early in the book. I do enjoy the multiple PoV in Well of Ascension though, I think Sanderson really moved his writing forward.

message 7: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) Kind of unfair to compare someone to Stephen King!