Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Sarah's Book Challenge for 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (last edited May 29, 2009 12:52AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) I know it's a little late but I really wanna complete this challenge. I'm hoping to complete most of the 50 during the summer time since I am not in school. :)

I am currently reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen and this will be the book that I start the challenge with :) I'll post as soon as I finish it

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 1. Mansfield Park

I didn't like this book as much as I liked the other Jane Austen books that I read. It was too long for my taste (not that I don't like long books) it just seemed to drag on and on. :)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 2. Angels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel

This is the first book in The Angels Trilogy by Lurlene McDaniel. I had no idea that I would finish the first book so quickly. It is an easy read, large text and short (only 156 pages). I'm not sure how I feel exactly about the book, it is interesting so I'm going to read the next one and then see how I feel.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 3. Lifted Up By Angels by Lurlene McDaniel

Compared to the first book this one was a lot better. I almost feel like it should have been just an extension of the first book instead of a sequel.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 4. Until Angels Close My Eyes by Lurlene McDaniel

This is the final book in The Angels Trilogy by Lurlene McDaniel. Again I felt as though it should have just been an extention of the first and second book. Maybe it could have been put into parts instead of sequels. I enjoyed this book more than the second. Ethan and Leah definately make the book interesting. If anyone is looking for a quick read. I read all three books in about three hours or so. I would highly recommend these books.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 5. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Definitely better than I expected! I've been meaning to read this book for years and just now had the time to do it.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 6. The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson

I have wanted to read this book for almost a year and I could never find it at any book stores. I went to the library today and happened to find it there. It is a very interesting read. If you like historical fiction then this is a good one.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 7. Fool by Christopher Moore

This is the first book I've read of his; it was funny most of the time and sometimes I just really hated it. All in all it was a good book but not one I'm likely to read again.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 8. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

This book was way better than I expected especially after reading Fool. It's witty and interesting. I would definitely read this book again. :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 9. Blood Sucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

Again this book is a lot better than Fool. I enjoyed this very much maybe it's just me but a good vampire story never gets boring.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 10. The Other Side of Darkness by Melody Carlson

This is the first book I've read by this author and she wasn't even on the list of books I wanted to read but I happened to find her while I was at the library. At first I thought the book was really weird and it took me until I was about half way through to really get into it. By the end it was a page turner and I couldn't put it down.

message 12: by MB (What she read) (last edited Jun 03, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

MB (What she read) Hi Sarah, I definitely agree with you that 'A Dirty Job' and 'Blood Sucking Fiends' were way more fun to read than 'Fool'.

Are you going to try 'You Suck!' now??? It's the sequel to 'BSFs' AND has Abby Normal from 'ADJ'. I loved it!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Hi! Yes I'm going to read 'You Suck!' as soon as my sister is done with it and I can borrow it. I'm pretty impatient in waiting for her to finish lol.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 11. Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice

I don't know what I expected when I started to read this book. Automatically I thought of the movie (which I've seen a few times) and it distorted my impression of the book. If I had read the book before ever watching the movie I might gotten the image of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise out of my mind. All in all I thought it was a good book and I plan on reading the next book in the Vampire Chronicles. :)

message 15: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments hats off to your first ten~!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Thank you!!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 12. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

It was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. The book was hard to get into at first but after that it was very interesting and I didn't want to put it down. It reminded me of the Twilight series because of the love triangle that the main character experiences. :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 13. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

I've read books like this one before. A tragic story about a girl who has been kidnapped and abused by her kidnapper stuck in a bad situation. This one was good. A lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 14. The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks

I was completely surprised by this book. I have read many Nicholas Sparks books and none have surprised me as much as this book. I read The Notebook and I didn't enjoy it as much as the movie, it lacked the luster that the movie provided. On the other hand, this book being the sequel to The Notebook, was 10x better than the other book. I will definitely read it again sometime after my challenge. :)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 15. The Virgin Queen's Daughter by Ella March Chase

I expected this book to be like most historical fiction books I've read but it was completely different. I think that it's an interesting idea that Elizabeth 1 might have had a daughter secretly. It was a good book. :)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 16. Watermelon by Marian Keyes

I happened to find this book by accident while I was in the library and summary on the back of the book seemed interesting enough so I decided to read it. I enjoyed it very much it was witty and good.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 17. The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn by Robin Maxwell

The book reminded me a lot of the showtime show the Tudors. I have only seen season one which is about Henry's pursuit of Anne and the events that took place and even quotes from the book reminded me of some episodes from the series. This book casts a different light on Anne Boleyn, I liked it. :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 18. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

This book is an adult fair tale. It kind of reminded me of Practical magic but a little better (the movie not he book since I haven't read the book yet). It was exciting and a page turner.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 19. The Birth House by Ami McKay

I felt like this was a book I could have read in one of my college course only it was better. I really enjoyed the element it showed of times changing in the beginning of the 20th century when it came to midwifery and modern medicine.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 20. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan

I loved Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and this is supposed to be a "sequel" to that book. There was too much sex for me to really feel like this was the way that Jane Austen would have wanted it to be portrayed. I did find it interesting and captivating into what life might be like after the happily ever after ending for Elizabeth and Darcy. There is another book after this that I am considering adding to my book list.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 21. Strange Nervous Laughter by Bridget McNulty

I found this book randomly at the library and it has exceeded my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 22. Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund

I had wanted to read this book for awhile because I had seen the movie Marie Antoinette and I fell in love with the character (as well as the historical figure). I liked this book a lot but I'm not sure if I would read it a second time.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 23. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

Definitely a good book. I would read it again. It was really quick but still had a good amount of detail. :)

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 24. Martyr by Rory Clements

At first I wasn't sure if I would like this type of book. It's a murder mystery/thriller based in Elizabethan times. I gave it a try and it came out a lot better than I imagined.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 25. There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

I had a hard time finding this book. I had seen it in a Barnes and Noble and I was going to buy it with a gift card I had received for Christmas but I decided not too. While on my escapade through the library I happened to notice the book around another author I was looking at. I knew that this author wrote In Her Shoes that which was made into a movie and P.S. I Love You which was made into a movie as well. This was a good book for being the first I have read by her. I plan on reading some of her other books.

message 31: by Sarah (last edited Jul 11, 2009 10:39AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 26. This Charming Man by Marian Keyes

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 27. The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

An extremely long book, I've read books that were over a 1,000 pages before but this book just dragged on in some places. I did enjoy the concept and the story line. I plan on reading the next book in the series, Lasher.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Jul 15, 2009 07:16PM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 28. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

This was a very good book. I liked it more than I thought I would. If you are interested in twisted faerie tales then this is the type of book for you. I enjoyed the twist the Connolly gave to treasured tales.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 29. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

I saw this movie a couple years ago and I only really remember bits and pieces but I know that I thought it was a good movie. Unfortunately I didn't think the book was that good. It has an interesting plot, sisters that all kill themselves, the story told by the neighborhood boys who were obsessed with them. I'm glad I only checked this book out from the library and didn't buy it because if I did I would have been disappointed.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 30. Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

I was surprised by this book. I didn't want to stop reading it even after my eyes decided to betray me and become weary. I have always been fascinated with childbirth and midwifery and this book brings to life what would happen if anything went wrong. Definitely a good book, one I hope to buy and read again.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 31. Babyville by Jane Green

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 32. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

I had a hard time finding this book, every library I looked in either didn't have it or it was checked out and I can see why. This book was far better than Interview With the Vampire but that could be because I wasn't trying to compare this book to a movie (because there isn't a movie for this book). lol. I'm thinking of buying this book so that I will be able to read it again.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 33. White Oleander by Janet Fitch

The book is definitely way better than the movie! I can see why the book is on Oprah's Book Club lol. It was a good read and I think I'll eventually read it again when I don't have a huge list of books to read lol.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 34. Green By Jay Lake

It wasn't a very good book, it was really hard for me to read the whole things. Some parts were exciting but for the most part it left me wanting something more, maybe more that he could have added to the story. I only gave it two stars.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 35. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Very good. A quick read because it's a young adult book. It's about a girl who gets raped and the aftermath of the matter. I think more people should read this book.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 36. Paper Towns by John Green

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 37. Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 38. You Suck by Christopher Moore

Not as good as Bloodsucking Fiends which is the first book.

message 44: by Sarah (last edited Jul 28, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 39. Tithe: A Modern Faery's Tale by Holly Black

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 40. Love is Hell by Melissa Marr, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier, Gabrielle Zevin, Laurie Faria Stolarz

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 41. Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 42. Citizen Girl by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 43. Graceling by Kristin Cashore

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 44. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) 45. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

« previous 1