Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What Would The Perfect Library Be Like?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 28, 2009 09:27AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A friend of mine showed me this book today:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24...

The jacket says the book is "a beautifully rendered meditation on the meaning of libraries through history, from Alexandria through the virtual library of Google...The Library at Night asks why we insist on collecting books and putting them on shelves, alphabetizing them of defiantly using other systems of organization, all of them 'arbitrary'."

I liked one of the author's other books (on the history of reading) so I think I'm going to check this one out. But...also...I got to thinking...

What would the perfect library be like for you? Feel free to differentiate between home and public libraries.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments For me, the perfect library would have every book I could ever want in it, with enough shelf space for all of them.
They would all be clean copies in good shape, and in order by subject (Dewey Decimal, since I'm so familiar with it).
The library would have plush carpet and wooden shelving, with good lighting in the aisles so you could read the labels on the books easily. The chairs would be comfy, and it would be okay to have a latte with you while you read.
There would be wonderful big old wooden tables with reading lamps for researchers to spread out the big reference books.
There would be a great children's section, but it would be in a separate, windowed room to keep the noise (kids need to be able to make noise) contained.

The internet computer area would be on another floor.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell In a perfect library every librarian would look like this:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/26511

Or this:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/28...

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Dave says truth here.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Aww, shucks!

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
The perfect library would have soft music playing. I hate the QUIET of the library.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited May 28, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The perfect library has natural light and good nooks for reading.
[image error]

...and a good interbranch loan system.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Dave wrote: "In a perfect library every librarian would look like this...

Oh, Dave. Such a sweetheart.

Wait...are you trying to help me beat Calvin Doty to the top of the charts this week?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think your sunglasses will do that all on their own, Sarah!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi, those pictures are beautiful!

message 11: by Heidi (last edited May 28, 2009 12:26PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "The perfect library would have soft music playing. I hate the QUIET of the library."

That would be super for tuning out that annoying lady who sat behind me last weekend. She was talking V. loudly on her cellphone. I couldn't help it... I turned around and glared. So she went to the shelves on the other side of me and carried on with her obnoxiously loud and personal phone conversation. I get rather irked that no one ever says anything to the people who are talking loudly in the library.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally wrote: "The perfect library would have soft music playing. I hate the QUIET of the library.

"

You would like my library, Sally. I was just playing some Guns and Roses for a 5th grade fan. She loves Slash even more than Edward Cullen, which says a lot.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sally - that was the branch I could walk to when I was fourteen (which was not 1916...that's just the only photo of the inside I could find). It had this great little reading loft. It was a cozy and inviting library, and I loved it despite the limited collection. The interlibrary loan would make me love it anyway these days.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to TC Cate

message 15: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I was trying to lure you back to TC, Sarah.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I dropped all my public groups a bit back (Haters is private). It was nothing personal--just protecting myself from something that seems to have passed (knock on wood).

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments BunWat wrote: And there should be a library cat.

I know you people want to post those cat pictures. I know it!

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

*resists*

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::sits on hands:::

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, don't let me ruin your fun...:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yay!

Library Cat:

[image error]

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Perfect!

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good one.

message 26: by Dave (last edited May 28, 2009 06:27PM) (new)

Dave Russell Wait...are you trying to help me beat Calvin Doty to the top of the charts this week?

Actually I hadn't even thought of that, but it gives me an idea.

Hey everybody look at this:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/26185

message 27: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I looked 12 times, Dave! Refresh, refresh, refresh... ad infinitum.

message 28: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell You're good people, Matthew.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2009 12:34AM) (new)

If you're friends with him, the click doesn't count on the tally. Are you? Huh? Huh? I could go look, but I don't wanna.

You should be friends.

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Actually we are, but I didn't want to put a damper on Matt's enthusiasm.

message 31: by Richard (last edited May 29, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Richard | 347 comments Apparently, Carlos Ruiz Zafón's agent has a library containing all 230 editions/translations of The Shadow of the Wind. I'm only 228 books and an agent short. I'm learning Armenian and Basque simultaneously. Croatian and Danish are next up. But even then I'll only have 26 in total. 27 actually, because Danish and Dutch both start with D. That's a nice little bonus.

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Richard, or anyone else, have you read Zafon's book? I must've got halfway through...but I lost interest. It just wasn't that compelling.

I love libraries.
I used to do a lot of my writing in libraries.
The Biblioteca Benjamin Franklin in Mexico City, for example.

message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell A friend of mine read it. He's into these type of literary puzzle books. He initially didn't like it, but said it got better.

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) ah...so I should have stuck with it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I read it, but wasn't impressed. The threads needed more connecting, I thought.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked your idea of the dream library also, guess I forgot to mention that.

Cozy chairs and natural sunlight would probably make it perfect, eventhough I have my own places at home that I like to read in.

message 37: by Lori (last edited May 29, 2009 12:21PM) (new)

Lori I really liked Shadow of the Wind.

Dave is trying to get to the blessed 100. For as long as I've known. The man keeps track, even with 80 friends he can instantly specify which individual dropped him. That's impressive!

Natural sunlight for libraries, yes. Unfortunately, my library had to drop the cozy chairs and couches because they were too enticing for the homeless. Wah.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments In our perfect library world, there would be better services for the homeless, so they wouldn't need to come to the library to sleep.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "In our perfect library world, there would be better services for the homeless, so they wouldn't need to come to the library to sleep."

Amen to that!

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sugar...Ah...Honey Honey...

(There will be no escape!)

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments Jessica wrote: "Richard, or anyone else, have you read Zafon's book? I must've got halfway through...but I lost interest. It just wasn't that compelling.

I think I read about a hundred pages (the blind heroine had just made her entrance), but I just couldn't cope with all the sunlight dripping like golden honey off the balconies of Barcelona.

PS: What happened to our "overall ridiculousness" thread, Kevin?

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "In our perfect library world, there would be better services for the homeless, so they wouldn't need to come to the library to sleep."

And cell phones would automatically be muted as they came through the door.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Sugar...Ah...Honey Honey...

(There will be no escape!)"

Evil!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice cross thread post RA.

I would applaud, but I think I'm in enough trouble.

message 45: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. It was all Jim's idea!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

:: pulls well placed knife out of my back::

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sorry, sir. Heh. They were coming for me! I didn't know what to do! I panicked!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

We've (males) all been there.

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Wait, what's happening here?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The usual nonsense, Sally.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.