Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

LOCAL AUTHORS > Are U an author from the local area?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Oct 23, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Are U an author from the local area*? Post here about yourself, about where you're from, and about your books and writing. Or start a new topic, using your name as the name of the topic. Anything goes.

* Our local area would include the northeastern part of New York State, for example, from around Glens Falls, southward to around Albany, and northward covering the Adirondacks. No strict lines drawn, just a general idea of the area.

Included are authors who are now, or once were, from the area.
We salute you.

Photobucket The name of this lovely sign-off rose is "Salute".
See the following website for more info about it: ====>
http://www.rosemeadow.com/RosesByName...
(Scroll down to the rose named "Salute".)

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited May 27, 2009 10:16PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Currently we have 3 local authors who are members of this group.
They are:

Mary Paladin
Profile at: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Book: _The Adirondacks that are, The Other Half of Me_

Nancy Bachrach
Profile at: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Book: _The Center of the Universe A Memoir_

Andy Ray
Profile at: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/23...
Book: _Another World; Another Time_
See Andy's other publications at:
http://www.andyray.net/

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (NancyBachrach) | 8 comments Thank you, Joy, for starting this discussion about local writers. It's as close to a bailout as the local book business is likely to get!
I've had a "camp" on Paradox Lake for over 20 years --and I wrote most of my memoir there. The book, THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE, was just described by a reviewer as "the ultimate mother daughter story." It's the true story of an indomitable woman who overcame mental illness and then a freak accident -- and proved that nothing is "permanent and irreversible." Please read an excerpt on my website, and let me know what you think. By the way, Joy has a copy of the book, and maybe she'll loan it to you when she's done! Cheers, Nancy Bachrach www.nancybachrach.com

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Paladin | 20 comments What a wonderful idea, Joy! There are so many talented people in the region and having an avenue on which to discover them or, be discovered, is beneficial to all!
My book "The Adirondacks that are, the Other Half of Me" are recollections of my lifelong summer residency in the Adirondacks of New York. To be released end of June-finally!!!
My hope is that readers don't consider it to be about me, but instead find it to be a conduit. A way to recognize and recall memorable summers adventures that happen to all families, in many places and in many situations.
The stories are candid, humorous and heartwarming; I hope it brings a smile to everyone who reads it!
Best Wishes to you all that your upcoming summer brings you and your some GREAT memories!
Mary Paladin www.marypaladin.com

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Nancy wrote: "Thank you, Joy, for starting this discussion about local writers. It's as close to a bailout as the local book business is likely to get!
I've had a "camp" on Paradox Lake for over 20 years --and..."

Hi Nancy - It's great to hear from you. I'm enjoying your memoir and your style of writing as well. Currently, I'm on page 91 of the book. I've begun writing some comments about it at my review of your book. You can see them at:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
I can't wait to find out how your mother managed to recover from her terrible ordeal.

Thanks for coming by and taking part in this "local author" section of our group. It's fun hearing from our local authors. We're very proud of you all.
Photobucket

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited May 31, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Mary wrote: "What a wonderful idea, Joy! There are so many talented people in the region and having an avenue on which to discover them or, be discovered, is beneficial to all!
My book "The Adirondacks that a..."

Hi Mary - I'm looking forward to reading your book about your experiences in the Adirondacks, which are my favorite part of the world. I collect books about this area and often give them to my husband for Christmas. We retired here and love the area, having camped on the islands of Lake George for 25 years. Our kids still camp on the islands and now we enjoy our visits to their campsites.

Thanks for coming by and taking part in this "local author" section of our group. It's fun hearing from our local authors. We're very proud of you all.
Photobucket

PS - See Mary's updates about her upcoming book at the following web page:
http://marypaladinsart.blogspot.com/2...

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 1 comments Hi, Joy. Thank you so much for starting this Local Author discussion.

My mystery, RED HOT, is my first published book.
RED HOT is the story of Julie Simms, a librarian, who finds herself matching wits with art thieves and covert government agents to figure out which one of them killed her parents. While writing RED HOT I did a lot of research about art and art theft to give the story an authentic feel. I also let my imagination run wild so RED HOT has a good dose of fun! I had a blast writing it!

I'm the co-founder and past president of the Mavens of Mayhem, the Upstate New York chapter of Sisters in Crime. Monthly meetings are open to the public and the only requirement is that you enjoy reading or writing the mystery genre. Please drop me a line if you're interested in attending a meeting, or you have comments about RED HOT. Thanks, Audrey

www.audreyfriend.com

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 19, 2010 09:07AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Audrey wrote: "Hi, Joy. Thank you so much for starting this Local Author discussion.
My mystery, RED HOT, is my first published book.
RED HOT is the story of Julie Simms, a librarian, who finds herself matc..."

Hi Audrey - Thanks for telling us about your book, _Red Hot_, and about the
Upstate New York chapter of Sisters in Crime, known as "Mavens of Mayhem".
I love that name!

As you know, we have a topic in this group about the Mavens of Mayhem.
The link is: ====> http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

Also, below is a thumbnail-link to a photo I took of the Mavens of Mayhem at the Chronicle Book Fair last October:
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
(Audrey Friend is the 3rd from the left.)

In the photo, from left to right, we see upstate NY mystery authors: Anne White, Nancy Means Wright, Audrey Friend, Julie Lomoe, Marie Corcoran (pen name: Faye Rownell), and Marilyn Rothstein (pen name: J.E. Kemp).

Audrey, I enjoyed reading your book. See my review and the comments at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Photobucket

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited May 30, 2009 09:01AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments I received an email from one of the Mavens of Mayhem, M.E. Kemp, who has written the following:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I am a local author from Saratoga Springs and I'd like to be listed. ... My name is Marilyn Rothstein but I write under the name: M. E. KEMP (my maiden name.) My website is: http://www.mekempmysteries.com/ .
My short story, "Aye Spy" is a finalist in the Deadly Ink Press shorts contest. I'm going down to NJ for the Deadly Ink conference in NJ. I strongly recommend this conference -- it's easy to get to, friendly people, good food and lots of fun. Marilyn"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marilyn has sent me her photo to post here as well:
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Click on the thumbnail to see larger picture.
M.E. Kemp

PS-Below is a cover-link to one of Marilyn's books, which she has asked me to post here:
Death of a Bawdy Belle by M. E. Kemp _Death of a Bawdy Belle_

Thank you for writing, Marilyn. Best of luck to you.
Photobucket

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Ray | 2 comments When considering my work, it may be helpful to know that "Another World; Another Time" is the only book I've written that can be labelled for all audiences. Thre rest are (using film ratings) either R or X ratings. There is not titillation here; simply life. andy ray

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Andy wrote: " When considering my work, it may be helpful to know that "Another World; Another Time" is the only book I've written that can be labelled for all audiences. Thre rest are (using film ratings) e..."

Andy, thank you for the information. And thanks for posting. We appreciate your participation.
Photobucket

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jun 03, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15578 comments Below are Goodreads author-links (in alphabetical order)
to the local authors mentioned above:

Nancy Bachrach

Audrey Friend

M.E. Kemp

Mary Amelia Paladin

Andy Ray

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Adirondacks that are, the Other Half of Me (other topics)
Another World; Another Time (other topics)
The Center of the Universe (other topics)
Red Hot (other topics)
Death of a Bawdy Belle (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Audrey Friend (other topics)
M.E. Kemp (other topics)
Nancy Bachrach (other topics)
Mary A. Paladin (other topics)
Andy Ray (other topics)
More...