The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Do you listen to Music while reading?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shredder (last edited May 26, 2009 10:51PM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments or is it difficult to concentrate on whatever you're reading?

If no, what album do you think is best suited to listen to while reading?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited May 27, 2009 04:48AM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9989 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Shredder, here are older threads we posted to about this same topic.... I know it is difficult to sometimes dig out the older threads, but they are worth taking a peek at. They are located in the Long Dead Thread folder.... I like to see us breathe new life into the old ones if the topic you want to discuss is out there already...

Keeps the site neater and cleaner.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments Yes I do I set my clock onsleep for an hour each night and when the music goes off Iput book down.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments Eventually I sometimes drop off b4 the music goes off.

message 5: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments I listen to music most of the time even when I'm not reading. So, it doesn't really matter much.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I must be a little odd cause i actually need almost silence in order to read, though i am a slow reader and have to read every word, can't do that whole speed reading thing.

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 610 comments I listen to chillout music - stuff without lyrics. I love music so if it has lyrics I find myself getting lost in the music instead of in the book!

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz If I do listen to something, it will be nonlyrical, and that's genreally only if I'm someplace where I need it to cancel out background noise.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Smooth jazz is ok for me to read with, and classical too. Nothing with lyrics, else I get distracted and might start singing along.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 52 comments I too can only listen to music without lyrics!

message 11: by Della (new)

Della sometimes I do, but often I get too caught up in the music and I forget the book. I like reading when its quiet. Too much noise is distracting!

message 12: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Sometimes I listen to classical music while reading textbooks. When I read regular books, normally I don't have music in the background. But I'm one of those people who can read any where, regardless of noise i.e. waiting for an event to start, in the same room as my boyfriend while he is watching sports, and so on and so forth.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I would get too sidetracked from the reading.

message 14: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I listen to music from time to time whenever I'm reading. I guess it would also depend on what I'm reading; if I'm reading stuff for school or nonfiction books, I tend not to listen to music. If it's fiction, I think it's usually soundtrack/classical/ambient music (it's been a while since I've read a book while listening to music) =)

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 176 comments Wonderful question. I am new to this Good reads and have already gotten quite interested to see what will come in my email box next! So cool to have book readers to talk with. I'm looking at your sites and every one of you are so very interesting to read about and get to know!
Anyhow! Personally I don't like music with words on when I read. I just read in silence, never turn on music.
Peace, Sharon

message 16: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I prefer to have some kind of background noise - television or music doesn't bother me, but I can't have people talk around me if I'm reading me.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison I have to have the TV on in order to go to sleep, and I also like to read before I go to sleep. So, I've learned to not really pay attention to what is being said on the TV and focus on reading. Now, it's hard for me to read in complete silence- I'm so used to having background noise.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele (photospice75) Even though all the speed reading instructors and tips tell you in order to be a speed reader you have to read in complete silence, I can't seem to get comfortable in that kind of quiet while reading. I've always read with music in the bakground (no tv though - that's way to distracting!).

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Well I ride the NYC subway and Buses so the only way I can drown out the noise is by playing music.

I also find it sorta soothing too. I used to play light music such as classical, opera, and/or instumental while I read at home but now that I am married with a 13 month at home and another on the way I try to read whenever there is a break of silence!

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments I almost always read with music. Some books, like those for school, I can't, or when it's really sad. It's just good to sniffle in silence. Most of the time I listen to new rock, but every once in a while I'll slip in some Josh Groban or Mozart.

message 21: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I usually do if my son is at school or something but I want him to be able to get my attention if he needs to or talk to me.

message 22: by Tany (new)

Tany | 5 comments I usually just read with the tv sound or a slowly music but I prefer reading in silence or in a room full of random people that don't with me. I can concentrate much easier with noise.

message 23: by Keara (new)

Keara Clifford (KearaClifford) | 24 comments I cant listen to anything when i read! i cant even have the TV on or if someone is talking loudly in the background. SOMETIMES i can tune people out but its really hard.

message 24: by Huda (new)

Huda (sohuda) I listen sometimes, but mostly I get distracted by a good song and sometimes I cant focus.. so not much.. and when the tv is on I can't read,even if I try to!

message 25: by Kasa (new)

Kasa Cotugno | 3 comments While reading outside home (BART train, coffee shop, cafe), I find music is essential for drowning out ambient noise. Nothing with lyrics. Current favorites: Philip Glass and Battlestar Gallactica sound track #3 are great protection against cellyell and loud conversations.

message 26: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) | 13 comments I prefer quiet that way I can ignore everything going on around me. However, I usually turn on the TV for background noise, so I know what time it is if I read without paying attention to what time of day it is. When the news comes on at around 6... well, I know I've read too much!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i watch tv while reading sometimes, i like the background noise. also i love listening to classical music. silence tends to put me to sleep when i read.

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn I love music with reading. Sometimes, either by accident or on purpose, I'll end up with a really spectacular pairing. For example, I once read the end of Cornwell's "Excalibur" where about half the major characters die, and Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrows was playing on the CD player - big sad swells of sound with a poignant soprano voice threading in. I was a mess by the end of the scene. Music can add GREATLY to a read.

message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jazzman) Here's a related question for all the writer's out there. Do you listen to music as you write. If so, what type? Also is your choice effected by what's happening in your piece; certain music for romantic passages...other kinds for dark or deadly? Just curious what others think.

message 30: by Kate (last edited Jun 14, 2009 10:10AM) (new)

Kate Quinn I write historical fiction, and I love music to write by. Beethoven symphonies are a favorite, and I also like movie soundtracks, particularly for epic-y films like Lord of the Rings. Movie soundtracks tend to have a nice mixture of the stirring and the poignant, so I've found them useful. What I'm writing also comes into it: I wrote a book about a medieval nunnery, for example, and found myself listening to a lot of Gregorian plainchant while I wrote.

message 31: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) | 28 comments I tend to listen to music often while reading. But if I'm reading quickly, the music distracts me. I listen to mostly heavy music while I'm reading, and I find myself singing along while lost in the book. It's weird how I'm capable of focusing on both my music and my book at the same time.

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyreece) When I come home from working with pre-schoolers all day, I like to read in the absolute silence! Now that summer's here I also like to read with the baseball game in the background. A tv show with a story line is something I'll watch, unless I'm already so engrossed in the book I wouldn't notice a tornado!

message 33: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Sometimes I want absolute silence but other times I put on some music. It can be hard rock or mellow pop because I usually have the music on low volume so it doesn't distract me. But yeah, I usually like some background noise.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 109 comments I have trouble reading when there's music playing unless it's very soft and there are no words. Otherwise, I end up singing along in my head and not focusing on what I'm reading.

message 35: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey1970) I can not read while music is on. I can read while the TV is on but not music. My favourite way to read is on the sofa in silence. No kids, no dog, no TV. Bliss!

message 36: by Sami (new)

Sami (puppyplay617) | 5 comments I usually read in complete silence but once in a while I will put my ipod in and shuffle the songs-- I find it a bit hard to concentrate when u read if your listening to music

message 37: by Jihaad (last edited Nov 02, 2011 04:35AM) (new)

Jihaad Albayaty | 11 comments lol i thought i was weird cuz i listen to music while listening but i guess i'm not the only one

i have a big family and i hated to get distracted so i listened to some techno music(because it usually doesn't have any words in it) and i was able to concentrate on my book after a while my mind just puts the music to the background if the books really interesting

message 38: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments It all depends how immersed in the book i am. If im just starting a new book or having trouble getting into it i cant have any distractions, but if i am really involved with the book anything could be going on around me and i wouldnt notice.

message 39: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments No. It's hard concentrate on book then. Music distract me from reading. and mostly I'm listening go audio books. Sometimes I'm reading during adds breaks on TV, then nothing distract me. I immune to TV adds music and talking.

message 40: by LilaBird (new)

LilaBird | 11 comments YES! I LOVE listening to music when I read. I sometimes will listen to the movie soundtrack for a book if I'm reading it after its movie comes out -- I listened to a lot of Muse and Paramore when reading the Twilight series. If the author has specifically talked about what they were listening to as they wrote the book, then I really love to try to listen to that same music when I read. (Stephenie Meyer talked a lot about what she listened to when writing.)
M. Clifford talked about listening to Thomas Newman music (specifically the Meet Joe Black soundtrack) when he wrote The Muse of Edouard Manet, so I listened to that when I read it too. Now, I listen to Thomas Newman music anytime I'm reading anything historical or romantic. :)

message 41: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) I'm with Yuliya. Either it's too hard to concentrate on the book if there's music, or I'm listening to an audiobook, and then it just doesn't make sense. Other times, I'm reading while my 1-year-old runs around, and I like to be able to hear her.

message 42: by Michael (last edited Nov 20, 2011 01:17PM) (new)

Michael (book_nerd1991) No I can`t concentrate like that, I hate any background noise.

XHoney_Hutcherson_Candy (Honeycandy) | 37 comments I do I listen to JLS and Olly Murrs

message 44: by Fuzzybnutts (last edited Jul 20, 2012 01:22AM) (new)

Fuzzybnutts | 1 comments I listen to Thrash Punk or Extreme Metal, and I bounce around a bit going,
"I'MA READIN'!!! I'MA READIN' A BOOK! I'MA READIN'!!! I'MA DOIN' IT!!"

message 45: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 58 comments I'm with Michael on this one ... I ALWAYS have music on, whether I'm cooking, in the shower, cleaning the house, but when I am reading, I absoltely CANNOT have music on.