Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Not that I care, but I'm curious why there's no NBA thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Because that's been on in my house non-stop ever since the play-offs began and I am SICK OF IT!

So you guys are only into baseball? Is that it?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm into NBA but my team sucks lately so I don't have much to say.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Are you a Laker's girl, Sarah?

Basketball is actually fun to watch.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I am a sports junkie and follow all of it. I all over the NBA play-offs. I just don't have "a team" like I do in baseball. I like NBA way better than NCAA

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Lori, bite your tongue! I LOATHE the Lakers!!! I'm a Kings fan through and through.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
What a travesty that we're lacking more sports threads. We need a whole sports category, now that I think about it!

message 7: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments 'Sixers fan.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Sally - HA! lol

As I was starting this thread, I really did think of you, and how disappointed you were going to be with me. :D

I just found it curious that TC is baseball baseball baseball. I guess none of the home teams are doing well.
Heh, ours did so bad, when they demanded a new stadium we just said buh-bye.

Sorry Sarah! I don't even know who the Kings are. Only the teams in those seemingly never-ending play-offs.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to disagree with Kevin here, I like the NCAA way more than the NBA. The few rules that are enforced in the NBA are seldom called in the so called superstars. I know the NCAA isn't perfect, but is a lot more entertaining to me.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I like playing basketball...I play two/three mornings a week...but watching the playoffs...I'm not entirely sure why, I just don't that much into it. Maybe because baseball's on. I also hate the fact the unwritten rules change during the playoffs, kind of like what Jim's saying.

I'm a Bulls/Bucks fan, by the way.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited May 27, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I sat next to Derek Fisher in a bunch of classes at college and worked with him on a bunch of small group projects. We were speech/comm majors together and on schedule to graduate at the same time so it wasn't unusual to have the same people in the same classes for several semesters in a row. He was drafted the semester he was supposed to graduate. He also won Sunbelt Conference MVP that year... surprisingly, esp. considering he hid the fact that he had a fracture in his forearm because it was his senior year and he knew the scouts would be watching. He just played one arm ball and was protective of the broken arm. His college sweetheart was my friend's roommate. I remember we were assigned to a group to work on a project together that semester and he never showed up to class... and the other peeps in our group were being gossipy about him. Fortunately, we'd had enough classes together that I felt confident in being able to stick up for him when they started getting catty about his noticeable absenses. He was ALWAYS prepared for class, took great notes, and studied. He completely dispelled any preconceived notions I had about college athletes being manipulative and lazy in class.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Derek Fisher is on the Lakers. F--k him.

:)

message 13: by Heidi (last edited May 27, 2009 12:42PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Them's fightin' words, RA! YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

He is THE nicest athlete I've ever known (besides my cousin who I always miss at the family reunions because I can't ever seem to make them).

Plus he gets major brownie points for being a good daddy. Mel Gibson could use a lesson or two from him (and I'm not biased... well, maybe just a little).

Besides, he's probably secretly laughing at you all the way to the bank.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments RA - hahahahahahahahahha

i am with you guys on rules and such but i am an offense kinda guy. i do NOT want to see a defense battle in basketball OR football. ever. rack em up boys. i liked NCAA basketball when UNLV and Loyola Marymount were running and gunning

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ugh, I HATE Derek Fisher! Sorry, Heidi. I loathe the Lakers.

Lori, the Kings are Sacramento's team and a few years ago (in the first few years of this decade) were in the playoffs for a couple of years. That was when we actually had a decent team: Chris Webber, Doug Christie, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, and my personal favorite Peja Stojakovic.

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Wow. A visceral word for someone you don't personally know...

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pretty intense ....

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No, I don't personally know him, but I have wanted to wipe that smug little look off his face on more than one occasion... It's a Lakers thing.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Heh, I'll have to tell Richard and Jake what you said about this Derek dude. They'll love it.

message 20: by Heidi (last edited May 27, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I will never, ever understand the casual use of the word "hate," especially when directed towards another human being.

message 21: by Sarah (last edited May 27, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I guess I don't give the word as much power as you do, maybe.

Would I cross the street to shake his hand? No. Would I help him if he were in some sort of life threatening situation? Yes.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It's the Lakers. People are allowed to hate the Lakers. People are also allowed to hate Duke basketball, Notre Dame, the Yankees, and (of course) the Cubs.

:)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I ♥ Cub haters.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sure, you can hate the cubbies if you are unpatriotic. you probably also hate hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet :)

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah wrote: "I guess I don't give the word as much power as you do, maybe."

You're spot on, friend. :) My parents made it a taboo word in our household. If I strongly disliked something, I had to say "not particularly fond of"... 4 year olds saying that can be pretty amusing. It just made me conscientious of using that word.

I think my parents did right by me in teaching me that lesson - living in the south, I can honestly say that it's too rampant around these parts... too much for my taste. I'm all about the looooove and "Brothers don't shake hands. Brothers gotta HUG!"

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Randomanthony wrote: "It's the Lakers. People are allowed to hate the Lakers. People are also allowed to hate Duke basketball, Notre Dame, the Yankees, and (of course) the Cubs. :)"

I haven't had my caffeine yet. I'm not up for philosophical discussions about sports teams. You guys carry on.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually RA is right about the Lakers, Duke, Notre Dame & the Yankees, but he was wrong about the lovable losers.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Two words -- bore ring. (IMO) Okay okay. I'm leaving.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes jim!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) RA is right about the Lakers, Notre Dame, and the Yankees but wrong about Duke. And I don't really care one way or the other about the Cubs. I would, however, like to add that I also hate the Dodgers.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: . And I don't really care one way or the other about the Cubs. "

Sarah, I officially invite you to be a Cub fan. There are no perks involved other than to be a fan of the longest losing team in baseball history.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm a Giants fan.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I'm a Giants fan."

Oh, you're the one ;-D.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 28, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments One of my colleagues is obsessed with Barry Zito. She named her cat "Zito", even. Apparently she think he's dreamy.

Oh, and good one, Jim:)

message 35: by Matthieu (last edited May 28, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Haha.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Even tho I'm from NY I've never been a Yankees fan - the Mets were my team since the 60s. As a matter of fact I was gleeful when the Red Sox won the WS. THis was almost grounds for divorce. And at the last NY company I worked for, I was always accused of not being true New Yorker!

Now I don't really care since I no longer know any of the players. And the Mariners are not really a team to get excited for.

I've never had a basketball team. The best basketball team was the Harlem Globetrotters!

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I always loved it when they'd make a special guest appearance on Scooby Doo, Lori.

message 38: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Barry Zito is an awesome/nice/bizarre human being.

Have you seen this?

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Whoa. His food is all moldy.

message 40: by Matthieu (last edited May 28, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Hahaha, that was awesome.

The Globetrotters are amazing, Lori.

message 41: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell They always beat the Washington Generals. Then again the Generals weren't very good. They could never figure out Curley Neal had the ball in his shirt. Fooled them every time.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love basketball, but these days I am all rugby, all the time, with a little soccer thrown in.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Soccer fans are AWESOME!!!

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hooligans

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments damn skippy!

message 46: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) All soccer fans are hooligans?

Well, shit, I guess I better get piss drunk on warm beer and go smash some Chelsea fans upside their empty heads while I fend off the riot squad.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, knock them Chelsea fans silly, might as well club some of your own as well says the Arsenal fan. :-).

Actually I think if you took the time to understand the intricacies (yes soccer has intricacies) you wouldn't find it as boring.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Chelsea and AC Milan are coming to Baltimore in July! I have tickets! Whohoo!

message 49: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 01, 2009 10:05AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. That might be hard to do where you live, but I'd like to see you roaming the streets to try, Gus.

Gus: "Excuse me, are you a Chelsea fan?"
Person on the street: "What are you talking about?"

message 50: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Where I live, RA, if you ask "Are you a Yankees fan?" you'll get a blank state, 'cause this is NASCAR country. Ugh.

Sarah, that should be a fun match. Interesting to see how Ancelotti will fare against the side he formerly coached.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.