The Next Best Book Club discussion

Questions About The Group > General question re: Challenges

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (new)

Petra I have to say that I'm amazed at the points that were racked up (and are continuing to amass) during the Spring Challenge. You are an awesome bunch of readers!
I'm having so much fun finding books to meet the Challenges that I think will be interesting, enlightening, informative and will help expand my reading horizon. However, looking at the list, it's daunting.
My question is: how does one find time with family, friends, work, etc. to read so many books in just 3 months? LOL! Really.....I find this amazing. I could use the tips for the months ahead. LOL!

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Petra, I go to university full-time and work a full-time job. I make time to read instead of watch tv, I'm also a very fast reader.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) On my mornings at home I have a little ritual: Read 10 pages (5, 8, to the end of the chapter... whatever) and then I spend 15 minutes doing housework. Another 10 pages, another 15 minutes. In two hours I can read a fair bit and make a dent in the dust ; ) (My husband claims that my housekeeping abilities aren't so good, and he's perfectly right, but it's all a matter of priorities!)

But my son is at school... I don't know how the members with multiple children manage! Hats off to your organizational skills!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Family? Friends? Vaguely familiar. Probably read about them somewhere. ;)

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
Petra, you might want to move this topic into the Challenges folder... the people who are active there will see it easier and may be able to weigh in on this as well!!

I dont have time to participate in Cynthias challenges (Too many books owned but not read, I would end up buying more just to fit the challenge points!)... I am sure they would all love to tell you how you they do it!!!

message 6: by Dree (new)

Dree Petra, I'm with you. I am amazed (and a bit jealous!). I have two kids and don't work, but I seem to be constantly volunteering for school, scouts, etc etc. And trying to keep the house cleaned, dinners made, garden growing, lawn mowed, crafts crafted. I always thought I read a lot--in fact, too much.

But most of my friends can't believe the number of books I do read. And I do think I read fast (so I have been told).

I plan to keep track of the next challenge (if we're not out of town when it's posted!), but I'm not sure I'll have the nerve to post my results, such as they will be :)

Petra is getting into the holiday mood (petra-x) Dree we are all slow readers compared to Ladystyx who is 35 and has 7,662 books on her Read shelf and another 547 on her To Read shelf. By my reckoning that's reading one book every day and a half from the age of 5! She was the Top Reader of last week. (I like those charts).

message 8: by Dree (new)

Dree Petra, I found the summer challenge. I think I will keep track, but I am not one to find books just to fit. I've managed to fit the 2 I have finished so far in, though. (I don't get enough read!)

I think it will be fun to see how varied my list of books is, though, subject-wise. I won't be "competitive", but the subject categories might in themselves let me look at what I enjoy a different way.

message 9: by Petra (new)

Petra LOL, Dree! You've already found 2 books to fit the themes......you're hooked.
I'm having fun fitting books that I want to read anyways into the topics and then trying to find books that sound interesting to fit the others. I had to laugh at myself the other day when revising my list because there's no way I'll ever get to some of these themes and yet.....if it happens....I'm (sort of) prepared. :)

PetraX, that's an awful lot of books to have read! I'm going to pay more attention to these lists you mentioned. Thanks.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I have completed two of the most recent challenges (spring and winter), but not sure if I will complete this once because the amount of books is ridiculous! I am also amazed at the speed that some people read and I consider myself a fast reader!
I work a full-time job, but I read before I go to work and I read after work and a lot on the weekends. I do not watch a whole lot of tv and I would probably get more reading done if I stayed off of GR and this particular group, but it is so addicting!!

message 11: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments My son loves to play outside so I read while watching him out there. That is when he's not coercing me to injure myself greatly on the trampoline!

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 54 comments I agree, i was looking at how much some people read I wish i had more time, I usually end up reading on the bus to and from school and in the hall between classes,and any time i can grab that i'm not doing something but it still doesn't amount to how much everyone here reads, I wish I had that time or the ability to read faster.... any secrets?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you get popular groups?

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra Swim Master wrote: "How do you get popular groups?
"

Swim Master, up on the top toolbar, go to "Explore", then "Books". There's a tab there called "Popular".

Hope that helps.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) I´m amazed too.. people here can read really fast.

I work 9am-12pm/14pm-17pm, go to college 18-23 and don´t fell like having time to read that much.
Now my job allows me to read 9-11, cause my boss is ALWAYS late, but hey, we have GR lol

I don´t understand how one can read a hole book in one day. I´ve done it before, but I read the WHOLE DAY, just stopped to eat something (really fast). Or spent the night reading, that 10pm-07am marathon lol

message 16: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Muta | 12 comments This is one of the groups with super readers. Woow! the number of books people are reading is amazing.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments I love the number of super readers in this group. It makes me (who reads 300+ books in a year) feel like a little less of an oddball.

message 18: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments I read during my commute, sometimes at lunch hour, maybe during a short work break and then a little when I get home (during commercials). Some days I don't read my novels at all. Other times, I power through it to finish in an hour or two simply because I wanna.

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
Melissa, the books we nominate and vote on for our group reads are posted at the top of the home page for TNBBC. Right now we are discussing The Time Travelers Wife, and The Reader. This coming month, for Sept, we voted in Little Women and The Graveyard Book.

We do not require everyone to read them. It's just a great opportunity to get some good discussions going. It's really one of the many things we offer the members here.

As far as the challenges, you must be speaking of Cynthia's challenge. I do not run those. So I am not sure how the points work. If you click on the thread within the folder for the challenges, there should be a rules post in there to explain it for you, and then... if you have any questions, the members who participate will be more than happy to clear them up for you :)