Read with Pride Northwest discussion

GRNW Author Interviews > GRNW Interview - Eric Andrews-Katz

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ttg (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:28PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
We’ll be interviewing GRNW Attending Authors all summer as we prepare for the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up on September 14 in Seattle.

Please feel free to join in and ask your own questions for the authors!

GRNW interviews Eric Andrews-Katz

Here we interview Eric Andrews-Katz, author of The Jesus Injection and other works.

GRNW: Your first novel, the spy thriller The Jesus Injection, came out last year from Bold Strokes Books. What inspired you to write this story?

Eric: I wanted to write something fun and not in the usual genre. Something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer where the hero isn’t at all like the stereotype presented. I saw the movie DEBS and thought it was really fun. I decided to do something in that same vein and came up with a gay male secret agent, Buck 98.

Tell me about Agent Buck 98. Where did he come from? How would you describe his character?

I wanted a name for my character that at one glance people would know immediately that it was a spy parody. My husband reminded me of the '$1.98 Beauty Pagent' TV show and we came up with the name Agent Buck 98.

Buck is a handsome man who believes he can get through any problem by flashing his killer smile and singing a good Show Tune.

What did you find most challenging about writing The Jesus Injection?

Finding a publisher! It took me 5 years from the time I finished my first draft until I found a publisher that was interested. I feel that I fell into a vat of cream with Bold Strokes Books.

Since The Jesus Injection has been published the most challenging thing is convincing people it's NOT a book on religion. I've had to explain about not judging a book by its cover many times to people who make rash decisions about the title. The books title The Jesus Injection really DOES have to do with the book's plot and isn't about religious history.

Are you planning this to be a series, ala James Bond?

I put my next book on hold so I could start writing the next Agent Buck 98 adventure (titled Balls & Chain). I want to establish him as a series before branching to other genres. I'm planning on having it to my publisher (Bold Strokes Books) by the end of this year.

You’ve contributed works to many anthologies, including Zombiality: A Queer Bent on the Undead, and GRNW partner Gay City’s anthologies, Gay City: Volume 2, Gay City vol. 3 - Re-pulped!, and Gay City: Volume 4: At Second Glance. What do you like about writing short stories?

I like the challenge of writing a complete detailed story in short story format. It is challenging to let a reader come into a character's life in the middle of something, being able to convey what's needed to hold the reader's attention, and be able to satisfactorily conclude the situation in a few pages.

Short fiction is often considered the most difficult to write. What do you find challenging about short story writing?

I really enjoy writing short stories because it is a challenge to present fully fleshed out characters and to be able to grab the reader within a short space. In today's world it's getting more difficult to commit to reading a larger novel, so short stories can be an option - to get submerged in a plot and to be able to complete the journey in a shorter space presents a different set of challenges to both writer and reader. But it's a challenge that I enjoy very much.

Tell us about a work or scene that, in your opinion, is the most romantic.

The "Stelllllaaaaa" scene in A Streetcar Named Desire. As Stanley is screaming his love in a primal need for her, Stella's reactions show the intensity of their relationship. She fights with herself every step but she knows the strong love between them is holding them together. While she wants to resist she gives into a darker tie that bonds them. Healthy or not, that scene's power derives from the romance between these two people.

Awareness of and popularity for gay romance fiction has really increased over the last couple years. What do you think about the “rise of gay romance”?

This is something I wonder about - how romance is defined. I think as a (GLBT) counter-culture we are constantly defining ourselves and how romance is incorporated in our lives. It's definitely something more than the cliche of roses and wine (although nothing wrong with that either). I enjoy the various ways that romance is being redefined by the GLBT community.

What do you think challenges LGBT romance from breaking more into mainstream publishing? What things can be (or should be) done to overcome those challenges?

I think it's the fear of reading about 'alternative' sexual encounters even if the romance doesn't involve sexual description. It still comes down to being hesitant of exploring or even reading about different cultures or orientations outside of our comfort zones. Many gay men won’t read lesbian literature and equally vice versa. There are still people who may believe that if they enjoy the writings about a GLBT romance that it presents a challenge to their own orientation.

The way to overcome this is to educate. There are pros/cons of having a GLBT section in a bookstores. It can prevent non-GLBT people from finding books they normally wouldn't venture to read, enjoy and share.

For new writers wanting to “break in” to writing LGBT romance fiction, what would you recommend to them?

There are several things to do if someone wants to develop their writing talents. First thing is to KEEP WRITING! It's the only way to get better. I found writers groups to be helpful but it’s important to find one with like-minded authors. Read a lot in the genre you want to write. You'll be exposed to many different styles that way. Also Writers Conventions are great ways to learn and to network. They are invaluable resources.

What are your favorite genres to write? And to read? Are there genres that you haven’t tried writing yet , but would like to?

I don't like to limit my genres but they usually have GLBT Lead characters. I've tried writing stories in many different genres (non-fiction, horror, fantasy, autobiographical, lesbian erotica etc...) and have been surprised by how some of them came out (in both ways) Always try a new genre - what have you got to lose? I'd like to try my hand at gay paranormal fantasy. I have a few ideas.

When reading, I prefer short stories because I can get into them and finish a story even when my reading time is limited. I also enjoy a well written biography about a person I find I interesting. I've been very surprised with some biographies and bored to tears with others from political people to celebrities to infamous personalities.

Are there writers that you’ve found have inspired your own writing?

I think I've been influenced by several writers but I'd definitely have to credit Truman Capote with his writing style, and Felice Picano for his being so prolific and for his talents in so many genres

Can you tell me about any future writing projects on the horizon? What should readers keep an eye out for?

I'm currently working on the next Agent Buck 98 adventure. I also have consistent theatre interviews/reviews in the Seattle Gay News almost on a weekly basis I have notes on a fantasy novel and a book about my husband and I dealing with an In-laws’ funeral and how it feels to be the outsider in such a situation. I'm calling that one Shalom Y'All: Two Funerals And a Sense of Humor. My website (www.EricAndrewsKatz.com) has links to most of my writings.

Last question (from me. GRNW followers can jump in after this.) We’ll have a lot of readers at the September GRNW Meet-Up in Seattle, and it’s always interesting to hear what authors like to read and would recommend. What gay romance titles are some of your favorites?

I'm not fond of the Harle-Queen romance types like Gordon Merrick (although I acknowledge their contributions). I liked Sarah Waters' Tipping The Velvet. The short stories of Tennessee Williams' can be very (disturbingly) romantic. Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms is beautifully written and is another favorite.

Thank you for the interview, Eric!

Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up - Sept. 14

You can see even more of Eric Andrews-Katz and our other GRNW authors at the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up on September 14 at the Seattle Central Library! We hope you can join us. :D http://gayromancenorthwest.wordpress....

message 2: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Special thanks again to Eric Andrews-Katz for talking with us!

If you have questions for Eric, please feel free to ask here. This thread is open to questions. :D

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Andrews-Katz | 6 comments Thank you for the interview. It was fun to do.