Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Preferred Format of Naming Graphic Novel Series?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M— (last edited May 25, 2009 06:39AM) (new)

M— | 62 comments Is there a preferred format of naming graphic novel series? I know that for regular text series the preferred format is [title of book (series name, #_):] (as helpfully explained here), but I'm not absolutely sure that same format is preferred for graphic novels.

For example, the first volume in Gaiman’s Sandman series is currently listed in GR as The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes . Would it be more correct format this listing as Preludes and Nocturnes (Sandman, #1)?

If so, how should books that are considered to be in the Sandman series but are not considered to be within an specific order be delineated? Should The Sandman: Endless Days be formatted without any volume number, as Endless Days (Sandman)?

Is it possible that some groupings of graphic novels are too broad for the intended purpose of the series organization? It seems to be common for standalone graphic novels to be associated with their comic worlds, for example the Batman story The Long Halloween is listed in GR as Batman: The Long Halloween . It seems a little odd to me to set Batman as a series in this situation, but maybe that's really correct?

I would love to know how others would weigh in on this. Thanks much!

ETA: for HTML errors.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Graphic novels that are collections of comic book issues probably need an rather different series-name treatment from other books. For these the series name is very important and likely to be part of the search terms used to find the book; also, the numbering is not always present and often restarts again from one every few decades!

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I view the series naming/numbering scheme as a rule-of-thumb that is usually good, but occasionally has exceptions. In this instance, I'd actually use a mixed format:

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes (Sandman, #1)

My reason for this is that I agree that this is an instance where it makes sense to include the comic in the primary title, but at the same time, I think it's still useful to keep some sort of standard formatting for series. I wouldn't go with "The Sandman, Vol. 1" because the volume number is not part of the title and (at least on my copies) none of these specific graphic novels are numbered. Sometimes the number really is part of the title, and in that case it makes more sense to include in the title.

The primary advantage of putting the number immediately after the "series" name would be so that they alphabetize in order, but one could make that argument for all series, not just graphic novels.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
I like Not-the-Michael's suggestion.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Michael, I like your suggestion too.

message 6: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Is that a general suggestion, or just a suggestion for "Sandman"?

What about a graphic novel adaptation of a book in a series? Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series is being turned into graphic novels - two graphic novels spanning each full novel (at least so far).

This is the first half of the graphical adaptation of the first book in the series:

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures Volume 1 (graphic novel)

So what would that be changed to?

"Guilty Pleasures" as a novel is

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)

I'd really hate to see the full series name written out twice - once in the title, and once inside the parenthesis. Is that a place where you should shorten - or abbreviate - the series name inside the parenthesis? The series is also known, by the fans, as either "Anita Blake" or "ABVH".

I don't even have a suggestion for this one. Too much information needs to be jammed into the title field. I really don't even follow graphic novels, but I like to maintain this author, so that includes these new graphic novels.

message 7: by Cait (last edited May 25, 2009 04:32PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I think there are several different naming conventions for comics collections. Based on these examples, it seems like the standard for comics collection is more or less:
{Series name or names} {Series number}: {Volume or miniseries name}, {Miniseries number}

* Some collections are straightforward with a series name, a volume name, and a volume number. For example, Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People.

* Some collections have a series name, and volume name, and a multi-level volume number. For example, Teen Titans Vol. 1: A Kid's Game is usually considered by fans to be in a series called something more like "Teen Titans III", as it's the third series issued by DC Comics to be titled "Teen Titans" and to begin numbering from 1 (see also Teen Titans: Jam Packed Action Volume 1, Teen Titans: Year One, and Showcase Presents: Teen Titans, Volume 1).

* Some collections have the series name and a volume name, but no number. For example, Batman: Dark Victory (which collects a miniseries not numbered with other "Batman" collections) or The New Teen Titans: Terra Incognito (which probably could be numbered in a "The New Teen Titans" sequence but isn't).

* Some collections have the series name, a miniseries name, and the volume number of the miniseries. For example, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 and Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 2 are not volumes 1 and 2 of "Captain America" -- they're volumes 1 and 2 of the "Winter Solder" arc in that series.

* Some collections just have a miniseries name. For example, Infinite Crisis.

* Some collections just have the series name and the volume number. Mostly I see this with manga, not comics, but sometimes smaller series get collected this way. For example, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.

* And then you have things like "Showcase Presents" or "Archives" or "Chronicles" -- try searching on "Green Lantern 1", for example -- which should probably all be considered separate series for cataloging, but which readers will consider tied together....

message 8: by M— (new)

M— | 62 comments Gaaah. I hadn't imagined it to be so complicated, but it helps to have a list of variances like this. Thanks!