Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Resisting the urge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meirav (new)

Meirav Rath | 13 comments Just popped by my university's book store, bad idea. All I needed was a black ink head for my printer but I once was there and saw a book about stupidity which I wanted to get. Today I didn't find it but I did find four other books I want. I'm currently out of job and had to do a lot of thinking and rethinking and managed to lower the pile to only two books...

Let's share out "I can stop anytime I wan to...honestly, look!" stories.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I have a Borders rewards card. They e-mail coupons. Lots of coupons. Lots of coupons that would reduce the amount of money I spend on a book.

However. It would also increase the amount of "Oh, this looks good. I should get it." books.

Therefore, I have the coupons go to a little used e-mail account, therefore by the time I check the e-mail, the coupons are expired.

message 3: by ScottK (new)

ScottK Laura : Too Too funny, I do the same thing, and those coupons they give you for like a week after your purchase when you check out, I used to keep them in my wallet, now I make sure they are nowhere near me when I "stop in to see what's new".

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (mrssupert) I have to stay out of the book stores. I have NEVER been able to go in and pick up "one" book. I've been frequenting the library more often. Better for the pocket book and marriage!!
The last time I went in to Barnes and Noble, I had a title written down, knew it would only cost about $10 and knew where I could find it.
2 hours later I came out with 6 books!! Agh.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I used to buy buy buy like a maniac. two or three books every week. I woudl walk in with one specific book in mind and see two more i wanted by the time i left....

Now I have a pretty good system that i have been sticking to this year! Im so proud of myself...

I use the Borders coupons/emails to buy ONE book that week. Which gets me a recpt that gives me another coupon for the following week, where I will buy one ONE book. If I need more within that week, I order used books online through amazon... that backfills me and my reading addiction and saves me money!

message 6: by ScottK (new)

ScottK I always always always have a limit now......prearranged with my partner (usually $30 or about 3 books) on how much I can spend in the book store. We have lengthy discusions sometimes and I end up not buying anything for a while . For example,we moved this month so I knew I would have no time to read,therefore January was a no book buying month.This will , in turn, allow me to buy some in February,in the end it all works out since I usually have a surplus of to be read books on hand.

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Feb 04, 2008 03:18PM) (new)

Alexandra I have the same problem and like Monica I now stay out of bookstores. If there's a book I want I order it on Amazon. It's safer. I also order my books there used much of the time.

If I go into a bookstore I have trouble walking out with just one. I once walked into a bookstore to grab a book I saw in their sales flyer and walked out spending $90 - well, some of them were (unplanned extra) Christmas gifts because they were having a good sale, but still!

I'm also doing much better using my library system - which luckily is a very good one. It stinks though because I really like owning every book I enjoyed. Although due to space issues I stopped keeping the so-so books years ago.

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 7 comments My husband has given up on my book crack habit, so I gleefully buy a stack whenever we have a bookstore date. I'll admit to having a huge bookstore addiction. And all due respect to truly recovering addicts (I have a family-full of them!) for making light - you'll never find me apologizing for it. But I recycle / give away / sell back / regift, just as cheerfully.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Another thing I try to do is see if I can find a book I want on bookmooch (www.bookmooch.com) because that way, I don't buy as many "oh that looks good" and the only thing I spend is "points" which are worth the shipping costs of books you've already sent out, which equals about $2.13.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I buy most of my book from a used book store, it helps to keep the cost down. But I'm there every weekend so I'm not sure how much money I'm saving. I have tons of books at home to read but just can't stop from buying more.

message 11: by Shasta (new)

Shasta | 9 comments Well ann, I work at a used book store, where I am encouraged to take read and discuss all the books my little heart pleases. Now it sounds all good an dandy until you come to my house, and my house looks more like the bookstore than the bookstore itself!!! I read the back of every book I put away, so every book becomes a "must read." However, once a week now I go through all of my books and decide which ones I will read in the next 6 months and take back the rest. then I begin the process over again.... makes me think of the def. of insane...lol!!!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Whenever my college library has a cart of books for free I can't resist the urge to look through them and maybe pick one or two of them off the cart... even if it is outdated. Also whenever our local library has a book sale, I cannot resist the urge to go and get some books. I just can't do resist books.

message 13: by Kayleen (new)

Kayleen (jegka) | 4 comments I can't walk out of a bookstore with one book. And now I can't tell my two school age daughters no because I love that they love to read as well. So I avoid bookstores at all costs.

But somehow I end up on amazon or half.com (wonderful site, that one!) nearly weekly and never fail to buy 5 more than I intended. When I'm feeling really strong I can resist buying and just put it on my wish list.

I just discovered paperbackswap and that just might save my checkbook! A week on the site and my wish list is two pages long.

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) I was literally on E (empty) and STILL pulled into Books-a-Million and bought THE THIRTEENTH TALE!!!!
what the heck!?

message 15: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 16 comments It looks as though I have joined the right group. It is physically impossible for me to walk into a bookstore and come out with only one book. Normally it's a stack of about 6 or 7 books, but about every three months or so (whenever I've put a sufficient dent in the to-read stack next to my bed) I go on a spree and pick up anything that catches my eye.

I tried avoiding bookstores for a while, until the bookstore I used to frequent went under and I realized that they relied on my patronage. So I try to buy in person whenever possible, though I do still have a 8 page wish list on Amazon for those rainy days when you just need to treat yourself.

I first realized that I may be a bit overzealous in my nook buying when we moved from our last apartment to a new one and I was packing my books. It ended up totaling 12 rubbermaid containers and 3 of those were filled with books that I had yet to read. After I finally sat down and read a good amount of them did I feel like I could start accumulating more. These days my to-read stack is down to around 50 books, some of which have been on there for over 10 years.