Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Barbecue & Welcome Back Kotter not Kutter and not Cotter!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments In honor of the holiday weekend...let's talk barbecue.

Do you like barbecue? What's your favorite?

If you barbecue, do you use (heh) gas? Charcoal? All those weird little wood pellets that are supposed to give flavor?

What's the best barbecue environment? With friends, summer, etc?

I'm a vegetarian, but we do these vegetables lined in tinfoil that turn out really well. And fake burgers, too. No complaints.

And...you?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited May 24, 2009 12:03PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love barbecue. In CA anything that's grilled is "barbecued" but when I lived in NC "barbecue" had a very different meaning. Carolina barbecue is this yummy vinegary goodness. I used to LOVE going to a pig pickin'!

But here in CA, where the weather is so nice, we grill stuff all the time. I love grilled chicken (and barbecued chicken with Memphis wet barbecue or dry rub), grilled fish, pork chops, grilled veggies, hamburgers, and hot dogs. I do not like steak so I don't eat that but my husband does. I also like Aidell's chicken apple sausage grilled. Or kabobs! Skewers with chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and squash! Mmmmm. Okay, I'm so making Kabobs for dinner tonight.

Grilling veggies RIGHT on the grill (not in a foil pack) is awesome. We grill asparagus with lemon juice and salt and pepper, corn with lime juice and chili powder, artichokes with garlic and thyme, zucchini and squash in Italian dressing, and lots, lots more (but those are my favorites). Grilled fruit is delicious too. Grilled pears with blue cheese? Delicious. Grilled pineapple is good, too.

At a typical barbecue here (better known as a cookout to you East Coasters) you'll see anything from hamburgers and potato salad to grilled salmon and asparagus to BBQ chicken and corn.

We have a gas grill but we also have an old Webber BBQ grill. On the gas grill, you can use flavored wood chips (Mesquite, hickory, etc) to give flavor you miss without the charcoal briquettes. My dad also has a smoker and it's not unusual for us to have both grilled and smoked meat at a party at his house.

BBQs are one of my favorite types of gatherings in the summer. I love having friends out and sitting outside and drinking wine or beer and eating barbecue.

I love this restaurant, too: http://www.lucillesbbq.com/index.asp

message 3: by jaimmie (last edited May 24, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

jaimmie | 2 comments I am a vegan, so no meat here but I like to make BBQ tofu sandwiches with fresh corn on the cob.

**edit**

I normally just use the stove, because..well..I don't have a grill...yet...

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Jai! I'm a vegetarian...in fact, I was totally bummed yesterday because I couldn't find the tofu hot dogs at the supermarket...

Sarah, I had no idea you knew so much about barbecue:) I'll try the veggies right on the grill...maybe tonight, even.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Anthony, try grilling some leeks too! Oh, man. Yum.

You can use skewers to grill your veggies...

[image error]

...but you don't have to. You can cut squash lengthwise and brush them with light Italian dressing (or even just olive oil and salt and pepper).

We do the asparagus with lemon most often. You can grill just about any kind of veggie though. Some chefs even grill leafy veggies like radicchio. Grilled tomatoes are yummy as well, topped with crumbled feta cheese.

And I highly recommend trying some grilled fruit. Peaches and pears are my favorite.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) RA -- is your whole family vegetarian?

message 7: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Our favorite BBQ cookbook is BBQ USA 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America. We haven't tried all the recipes yet, but so far the ones we have are wonderful!

For those of you who are sans meat, we went to a cooking class in Seattle several years ago and were introduced to two recipes that hit the spot every time. I don't have the actual recipes around to list them, but you can probably find them online.

Corn on the cob in husks - liberally mix soft butter (or your fav substitute) with cardomon, minced garlic, paprika, chili powder & black pepper. Slather (yes, slather) onto corn while still in husks (take out the silk first), rewrap the husks and grill.

Jalepeno peppers filled with cream cheese - slice open the peppers along one side, leaving them as whole as possible (use rubber gloves or at the very least wash hands profusely afterward - don't touch your eyes or mouth!) and remove the lining & seeds. Fill with cream cheese. Grill. If a bit spicy, you can dip them in a mayonnaise &/or sour cream mixture with a little bit of lemon juice.

message 8: by Lylly (new)

Lylly Emerick | 52 comments Oh Sher and Sarah, I love it when you talk that way! Grilled pears with blue cheese (blue cheese on anything) and the jalepeno peppers filled with cream cheese... Sounds soooo good. (I don't cook/grill/do anything with food well. Except eat it. I eat food very well.) I must make a BBQ effort soon. What's the worst that could happen...?

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, I'm the only vegetarian, Larry. These are great ideas...wonder if the supermarket is still open...

message 10: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Oh man, I'm gonna have to try that on something soon, Bun.

message 11: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Grilled Capon

Grilled Yellow Squash

YUM

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments carnivore's here. i just grill meat on the ol webber. charcoal style. cooked up hamburgers and chicken. no grillmaster but i can not burn things and they all get eaten up. i do love veggies grilled and fancy stuff but today was a day for baked beans, deviled eggs, sliced onions and tomatoes, watermelon and grilled meat. i do use an excellent horseradish sauce on my burgers and chicken as i am sort of low carb myself

message 13: by Sarah (last edited May 26, 2009 08:41AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) We were invited over to some friends' house tonight for burgers. They were delicious! They used an onion soup mix in the patties as well as various seasonings and it made for some very tasty and juicy burgers. I made potato salad and we also had some fruit salad. Very nice, simple meal with good company!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Good company always seems to make a good barbeque.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
oooh, onion soup mix makes delightful burgers.

I'm a big fan of anything grilled. Corn still in its husk lights up my life.

message 16: by Heidi (last edited May 26, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I LOOOOVE grilled broccoli. YUM (I didn't eat any barbeque this weekend, though)!

message 17: by jaimmie (new)

jaimmie | 2 comments Heidi wrote: "I LOOOOVE grilled broccoli. YUM (I didn't eat any barbeque this weekend, though)!

"

oh broccoli, that sounds yummy.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi do you do anything to the broccoli (olive oil, garlic, etc) to prepare it for grilling?

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

I was wondering the same thing. She'd have to, right? Wouldn't it get all dried out?

It'd be delish in some foil with some white wine and thyme.

message 20: by Heidi (last edited May 26, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, cherry and/or grape tomatoes, zucchini, squash, purple onion, eggplant - chop larger vegetables into large chunks (1 in)

marinate in large bowl for at least an hour. marinade (I discern the quantities by my own memory/judgment until it tastes "right" - my mother had the recipe and has since lost it): balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard seed, coriander, kosher salt, cracked peppercorns, chopped garlic, dijon mustard, a touch of worchestire sauce... cook all the veggies on top of a layer of foil set directly on the grill until browned... the broccoli florets actually hold the best texture, IMHO... and the tomatoes are a great touch.

The marinade is great with fish, too.

Also a great fish marinade for grilling or baking: white wine, garlic, cracked pepper, kosher salt, and fresh rosemary

And for chicken, easy and delish on the grill: Good Seasons Italian dressing & fresh rosemary

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Actually, when I'm at Mom's house, I use the grill basket, too (with foil because the tomatoes like to escape). When I'm somewhere else (like housesitting for friends or at my stepmom's house), I'll use the foil directly on the grill, being careful not to poke holes through it.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

On Kauai last summer we grilled most every night fish from the various Farmers' Markets around town.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Fresh fish is my fave EVER! I could live on fish and veggies and rice.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments grill basket?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Except the one I use at Mom's looks more like this:

grill basket

message 27: by Sally, la reina (last edited May 26, 2009 11:03AM) (new)

OOOoooooooooooo! Want! want! want! ooooooooooOOO!

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I miss my grill. Since moving to the city, all I have available is a community grill on our rooftop deck. Unfortunately, the "community" doesn't keep it clean enough for my tastes. I mean it gets really gross!

*sighs*

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments me too sally.

btw - i imagined that sounding like Arnold Horseshack when you said that

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Arnold!

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments grilly part? i love chick speak

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's a really big-ass gas grill hooked up to a natural gas line. And actually, it's broken now. As a condo owners association, we have to decide if we want to spend the money to fix it or get another.

We have a few renters in our building (nothing against renters as a whole) who choose to wreck stuff when nobody is watching. It's very frustrating. They damage the deck furniture, too. Some of us are in favor of putting a camera up there so we can see who is doing it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

BunWat wrote: "Grrr, vandals. I do not like vandals. I am developing a real thing about people who mess with community spaces. Go home and trash your own space if you need to trash something. "

I never understood this thought pattern of destructing something just because it's not yours. Like trashing hotel rooms, or defacing a statue in a city park etc.

message 34: by Heidi (last edited May 26, 2009 12:08PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments People who cannot respect community property probably don't respect themselves, either.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Who is Arnold Horseshack?

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Welcome Back, Kotter!!! :D

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

Before my time. No idea, sorry!

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) John Travolta went way downhill after this, his first show in which he played Vinnie Barbarino.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Anyone else feel, oh, 400 years old about now?

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Horshack was my fave character on that show! I wish I could find an audio track of his voice because I'd crack up every time he'd speak.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The thread title has Kotter spelled wrong, btw...

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heeeh! I could retitle this "Sally displays her youth"

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) She's just a baby, y'all.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

*gurgle*

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ain't she cute!

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I loved the theme song. I think it's the first tv theme song I ever really noticed.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::curmudgeonly grumbles to herself about youngsters these days, mistreating classic tv show titles, harumph...:::

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Heidi wrote: "I loved the theme song. I think it's the first tv theme song I ever really noticed. "

John Sebastion!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.