Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Publisher requires access - no reply

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dario (new)

Dario | 4 comments I'm the owner and executive editor of Panverse Publishing LLC; we have a few books on Goodreads and are expanding rapidly.

I asked over a week ago for Librarian access so that I could add new titles and update/maintain existing ones and have received no reply. I'm hoping that this post will get the attention of someone who can enable access for me?

Thanks so much.

Dario

message 2: by Paula (last edited Sep 03, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The only people who can are GR support, response can take a while from support depending on number of emails. Wait a while longer. You can check by resubmitting the form, if it lets you resend then they did not grant and you should submit with a stronger case.

You also will have needed to complete the form with appropriate info regarding why you want Librarian access

Edit : Authors in general do not get extended librarian rights since they have limited access to their own books by being an author

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Dario wrote: "I'm the owner and executive editor of Panverse Publishing LLC; we have a few books on Goodreads and are expanding rapidly.

I asked over a week ago for Librarian access so that I could add new titles and update/maintain existing ones and have received no reply. I'm hoping that this post will get the attention of someone who can enable access for me?

Thanks so much.

Dario
"

Only the staff (read Customer Support) can make librarians.

Anyone can add new books and editors & publishers 'updating' their own and their clients books is one of biggest headaches we librarians have to deal with.

message 4: by Dario (new)

Dario | 4 comments Banjomike, thank you for the reply.

I posted here precisely in the hope that staff would notice :) The system won't let me make a second librarian request, so a I can't follow-up using the form.

I understand anyone can add new books. I sympathize with you having to correct incompetent people's errors. We ALL have headaches in that area ;-)

message 5: by Dario (last edited Sep 03, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

Dario | 4 comments Paula wrote: "The only people who can are GR support, response can take a while from support depending on number of emails. Wait a while longer. You can check by resubmitting the form, if it lets you resend th..."

Paula, thanks :) The form would NOT allow resubmission, and I did make a clear and concise case. I guess I'm just not used to waiting a week plus for a reply. Thanks.

message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Dario wrote: "I sympathize with you having to correct incompetent people's errors."

'Incompetent' we can deal with. It is rarely 'incompetence' that we see.

You could also use the contact Customer Support form to ask them about your application. They are all handled by the same mob anyway.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2013 10:20AM) (new)

rivka | 42441 comments Mod
Dario wrote: "The form would NOT allow resubmission"

That implies you have an application still under consideration. If it had been denied, you would be able to reapply.

However, as was mentioned above, any user can add new books. And "updates" are most often contrary to Goodreads policy.

message 8: by Dario (new)

Dario | 4 comments Updates can (though rarely) happen. Such as a recent distribution change, for reasons far too complicated to go into, that caused us to have to issue a new ISBN for the same exact book.

Right. Thanks, everyone. Your comments are appreciated :)

message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Dario wrote: "Updates can (though rarely) happen. Such as a recent distribution change, for reasons far too complicated to go into, that caused us to have to issue a new ISBN for the same exact book.

Right. Th..."

That is fine. We add a new edition. No problem. But what we tend to have to deal with is the publisher/author/whoever telling us that the original book either doesn't exist anywhere in the world or in some cases never HAS existed. This is despite there being a mountain of evidence to the contrary and in many cases the old book is still for sale or in one case was currently part of a giveaway on Goodreads.