Editors and Writers discussion

What should you look for in a book editor?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morgan (mjbookeditor) | 56 comments Hey friends! I just uploaded a new blog, and thought this might be an appropriate place to post a link. It's about realistic expectations... what should you look for in a book editor? It's written for you writers of course, but my fellow editors can learn from it too. Are you on track to becoming an excellent book editor?

Check it out, and leave a comment if you find it helpful! Thanks. :)

www.mjbookeditor.com/blog

message 2: by Suzie (new)

Suzie O'Connell (suzieoconnell) | 14 comments Wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing this, Michelle.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morgan (mjbookeditor) | 56 comments You're welcome, Suzie! I'm happy to help.

message 4: by Suzie (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

Suzie O'Connell (suzieoconnell) | 14 comments I have one bit to add to the "it's your book," as this is something I have run into—particularly with new indie writers: when you send your manuscript off to an editor, make sure you've gone through it at least twice. It'll help keep your cost down because the editor is working (hopefully) with a book that has already been refined at least a little. An editor is there to help you polish your book, not to carve the statue from a roughly shaped hunk of wood. The shaping and the carving is the job of the writer. Think about it this way: the more an editor has to change, the more her style will show, and that's not what you want as a writer. You want your book to show off YOUR style.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morgan (mjbookeditor) | 56 comments I absolutely agree, Suzie! In fact, I'd like to add that little snippet of advice to my next blog ("What your editor can expect from YOU") if you don't mind. You're absolutely right -- a manuscript should be reflective of the writer's absolute BEST work before submitting it to a professional editor.

Thanks for that!

message 6: by Suzie (new)

Suzie O'Connell (suzieoconnell) | 14 comments I don't mind at all :)