Complaint Department discussion

Topics Created by Members > If I wrote a book ...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 2809 comments If I wrote a book... in a post apocalyptic setting[1], one of the first things to go would be coffee[2]. It always amazes me how there's always coffee available in a world where communications, supply lines and forms of travel either take days or months (and sometimes years) and the travel in between settlements is extremely hazardous. Especially in a world ravaged by disease/zombies/chaos/marauders/etc.

Why coffee, you may ask (or I assume so, though I don't know for sure)? Well, if you know anything about coffee, about where it comes from, how labor intensive it is to grow/harvest and think about how much work it would be to ship it from say, South America, or anywhere else in the world it's grown, wouldn't you say that coffee would become an extreme luxury item only for those who could afford it? I think so.

I could, of course, be off my rockers, but that's par for the course. Smiley Smiley
=======
[1] Alternatively, in a SF setting where a colony exist on an out of the way planet which is off the main trade routes of ships and therefore, off world luxuries and supplies are limited to what shows up when it shows up. This was a world with a small colony on a planet not suited to growing tropicals like coffee or cocoa.

I went off on this story because a character is talking to the MC while tending her tea plants, yet ends up offering the MC coffee instead! If the author had added a line about how precious the coffee is and only offered to visitors, I would have understood better, but the coffee is treated like there's a never ending supply.

[2] I have nothing against this remarkable drink. Though I don't drink it, I do enjoy smelling it and just about everyone I know drinks it in some form.

message 2: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Lori wrote: "If I wrote a book... in a post apocalyptic setting[1], one of the first things to go would be coffee[2]. It always amazes me how there's always coffee available in a world where communications, sup..."

I don't drink coffee so I'd be fine on that colony :)

message 3: by Preston, Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:39PM) (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Lori wrote: "If I wrote a book... in a post apocalyptic setting[1], one of the first things to go would be coffee[2]. It always amazes me how there's always coffee available in a world where communications, sup..."

Alternatively it could be that everyone in your world creation thought coffee beans tasted terrible so they never bothered to brew it. That way we could still have cocoa and chocolate. I like chocolate and cocoa but I don't drink coffee.

message 4: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 2809 comments Actually, the same problem would apply in such a world. And in the real world, since the growth and production of cocoa beans is actually falling short of world consumption at the moment.

message 5: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Lori wrote: "Actually, the same problem would apply in such a world. And in the real world, since the growth and production of cocoa beans is actually falling short of world consumption at the moment."

You know everything!

message 6: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Oh my, what would Edward & Richard Rainbow, Yussuf, Zaki and Gregory H. Hartley, not to mention Haary Smarmy Vane, do without their khawa?

message 7: by Lori S. (last edited Sep 04, 2013 03:19PM) (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 2809 comments Roger wrote: "Oh my, what would Edward & Richard Rainbow, Yussuf, Zaki and Gregory H. Hartley, not to mention Haary Smarmy Vane, do without their khawa?"

Mind you, I'm talking post apocalypse, which, oddly enough, is no where as safe as the Victorian era. Plus, those young men o' yours are much closer to the source of the magic java beans than the characters of Rot and Ruin (Mountainside which is in southern California) or Doctor Who: The Colony of Lies (a planet which is off the main trading lanes of the universe).

message 8: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments That's all right, then. :-)

message 9: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments If I'd never written a book and thought I might start by reading one of those ubiquitous "How To Right Well" or "How To Edit Yourself Into Print" or "Creative Sentence Structure" I would first read this essay by Hanif Kureishi…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

message 10: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Roger wrote: "If I'd never written a book..."

If you had never written a book I wouldn't be here. If someone does want to start writing they would be well advised to read books by Roger Kean to see how it's done right.

message 11: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments

message 12: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 2809 comments If I wrote a book, it'd be about rouge werewolfs because everyone knows that a rouge werewolf is a wolf without a pack ... While I try not to make fun of people's spelling mistakes in online fiction forums, this is one that always makes me want to write a story about rouge (wearing) weres.

message 13: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Oliver's famous sex-god character of the late 70s-early 80s drew satirical (quite cruel) comment from the deathly serious GAY NEWS weekly newspaper, when the sub-editor insisted on altering any mention of the comic-strip to "Rouge".

Rogue and creator Oliver Frey, Heaven Disco 1980

message 14: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Yea. Whatever. Why is Oliver Frey about feel up Rogue's exceedingly large bulge. So when humans enter the comic book world they turn to black and white. I never knew that. This is a very educational group.

Hey why isn't this scene in my copy of the 94 page comic strip stories in Hot For Boys: The Sexy Adventures Of Rogue?

message 15: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Wasn't all "real-life" action in black and white back then?

message 16: by Rick (new)

Rick | 12385 comments Roger wrote: "Wasn't all "real-life" action in black and white back then?"

That's the way I remember it. ;)

It also wasn't in 3D - oh wait, that's because of my defective eyes & that's a whole other ball of yarn...

message 17: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments If I wrote a book it would be very, very poorly written and just plain bad.

message 18: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Preston wrote: "If I wrote a book it would be very, very poorly written and just plain bad."

You could always get me to edit it…

message 19: by Preston, Moderator (new)

Preston | 20148 comments Roger wrote: "You could always get me to edit it…"

You'd have to write it too.

message 20: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Oh gosh, let's see now…

message 21: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 2809 comments LOL

message 22: by Rick (new)

Rick | 12385 comments Preston wrote: "Roger wrote: "You could always get me to edit it…"

You'd have to write it too."

Does that mean Roger would write it, but you'd get all the profits and accolades? Hmm, sounds like what William Shatner used to do.

message 23: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 17278 comments Rick wrote: "Hmm, sounds like what William Shatner used to do. ..."

Ah… isn't he the one who liked to "screw with common people"?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd write about my recurring dreams. Have my travel journals published and my correspondence with other creative folk.

Basically narcissism. Like any self-respecing painter.

Maybe throw in some of my paranoid conspiracy theories.

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

Do you all collaborate, genuinely? I am a good sequential artist. Something btw to keep in mind. I really adore pushing language further.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Many UK, Irish titles are difficult for me to read because I don't know the slang and the dialect. Fortunately, James Joyce is on audio. And Harry Potter too (sic) i may be one of the few who have not read those books. I'm still catching up on Russian Lit.

Well, if it must be dystopian... can it at least be a stand alone book and not a series. Thank you

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Well thanks for the time... I have begun to read the interwoven stories on here. I don't even know where to start. Roger we kind of a good match in as much I have a tiny grudge against your country and you have a good satirical animosity towards mine. Ever seen that film, Hunger?