Modern Good Reads discussion

General Discussions > Great names for characters in novels

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie James (maggiejamesfiction) | 30 comments Anyone else come across great names for characters in novels? I've just read a couple of Stephen King's books. One had a character entitled Scooter Larribee and the other a guy called Romeo Burpee. Got to love those names! So far I've stuck to fairly generic names for the characters in my novels - makes me think I should branch out a little!

Anyone else got any character names they love? (or hate!)

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Maggie wrote: "Anyone else come across great names for characters in novels? I've just read a couple of Stephen King's books. One had a character entitled Scooter Larribee and the other a guy called Romeo Burpee...."

Try The Baby Names Almanac by Emily Larson . I read it recently and marked off all the useful, unusual names that I planned to use. It's a great collection. It gives all the various spellings and options that can turn supposedly normal names into something more exotic. :)

My personal favourite so far is the surname Scarletti and the first name Mikhail.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie James (maggiejamesfiction) | 30 comments Thanks, Elaine! That book looks useful.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Maggie wrote: "Thanks, Elaine! That book looks useful."

It was. :) The first half is about popular names in particular years and countries but the second half does an A-Z for Female and then Male names, including all those mentioned in the first half.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie James (maggiejamesfiction) | 30 comments Yes, Scarletti is good! Always liked the name Scarlett O'Hara. Atticus Finch also has a certain ring to it.

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Maggie wrote: "Yes, Scarletti is good! Always liked the name Scarlett O'Hara. Atticus Finch also has a certain ring to it."

Yeah, I've bookmarked Scarlett for future use ;)