What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. just remember the cover had a bald guy with spider web tattoos carrying an oil lamp

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Enid79 (new)

Enid79 | 5 comments I've been trying to remember the title for this book for ages now. I remember reading it in elementary back in the 90s but I don't really remember the story (just that I loved it). I think this was a horror story and had to do with an oil lamp. Aside from that all I remember was the cover that had a picture of a bald guy with spider web tattoos and very bad dark circles around his eyes. The guy was wearing a dark cloak and carrying an oil lamp while walking through the forest at night. I could have sworn it was called "The Oil Lamp" but I haven't been able to find anything with that title matching the description.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments Enid, was this book for adults or young adults?

Was the cover a photo or an illustration? If illustration, did it look cartoony, realistic, etc?

How was the title designed on the cover? Was it at the top, bottom, middle? Color? Font?

Feel free to post any other recollections, no matter how small. It may stick out to someone :)

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments From your description, this probably isn't it, but it does remind me a bit of it.
The Amulet of Samarkand

message 4: by Enid79 (new)

Enid79 | 5 comments @Tab:

It was for young adults I believe and the cover was an illustration which looked cartoony.

As for the title I can't for the life of me remember .__. but everything else was in either black or dark grey.

Thanks for the advice! :)

message 5: by Enid79 (new)

Enid79 | 5 comments @ LauraW:

No that's not it I remember you could see the guy [who seemed a little on the heavy side lol] from head to toe or at least almost all his body. It wasn't a close up of him at all.

This book has been driving me crazy for years now @_@

message 6: by Rob (new)

Rob | 79 comments Doesn't sound promising in terms of the story but a bald guy with facial tattoos? Gully Foyle from 'The Stars My Destination'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia...

message 7: by Enid79 (new)

Enid79 | 5 comments No, that isn't it.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Enid79, are you still looking?

message 9: by Emlen (new)

Emlen | 51 comments I think this is "The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb," by John Bellairs. I remember that cover too.

message 10: by caracal-eyes (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:55PM) (new)

caracal-eyes | 134 comments Emlen wrote: "I think this is "The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb," by John Bellairs. I remember that cover too."

Here's the link to Emlen's suggestion: The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb by John Bellairs seems to be the closest I can get to the description of the cover for Emlen's suggestion.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Enid79, was "The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb" your book, or are you still looking?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response in 4+ years and in 2.5 years. Moving to Abandoned.