Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Not by Books Alone > Television

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Let's use this folder to discuss past TV shows we loved or hate and also new shows that will be starting in the Fall of 2013.

message 2: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Sep 02, 2013 01:34PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Among my very fave TV shows in the past were:

St. Elsewhere starring a very young Denzel Washington

Party of Five with Matthew Fox who went on to play the lead in Lost

E.R with Anthony Edwards and George Clooney

Facts of Life with Charlotte Rae

Happy Days with Henry Winkler

Homefront with Kyle Chandler and also Friday Night Lights

West Wing with Martin Sheen, Rob Lowe and Allison Janney

What shows can you add to my list?

message 3: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) TV shows I currently watched and am looking forward to new seasons are:

Homeland with the wonderful Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin

Glee with Lea Michele

Boardwalk with Steve Buscemi

Downtown Abbey which I love, love , love

Newsroom with Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer

Million Dollar Listing New York

Again what are you looking forward to returning

message 4: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) And now new shows to look forward to:

Hostages with Toni Collette and Dylan McDermnott

a new comedy show with Robin Williams - remember Mork and Mindy

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
I have always loved the Golden Girls. I have been watching then since i was 7 years old. and now I watch them in repeats.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) Looking forward to new seasons of The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. I also watch Pretty Little Liars, Twisted, The Fosters and catching up on Switched At Birth. I watch Supernatural and Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, so I'm not current on those seasons.

message 7: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "I have always loved the Golden Girls. I have been watching then since i was 7 years old. and now I watch them in repeats."

I also enjoyed The Golden Girls although today when I'm with my friends I'm afraid we are gettng to be more and more like them.

message 8: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I watched the first season of American Horror Story cause I love Connie Britton but that as enough for me.

BTW - I forgot to include Nashville as one of the shows am looking forward to seeing again when it comes back.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) Gimme A Break and Facts of Life were 2 fave shows as a kid. I Love Lucy I can watch anytime. Golden Girls too.

message 10: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Oh I love I Love Lucy. I grew up watching this program and Howdy Doody and many other shows which are from the Golden Age Of Television.

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Heather wrote: "Gimme A Break and Facts of Life were 2 fave shows as a kid. I Love Lucy I can watch anytime. Golden Girls too."

Wow, Heather. Gimme A Break and Facts of Life take me wayy back!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) Oh. I forgot about Chicago Fire. Love that show.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Heather wrote: "Gimme A Break and Facts of Life were 2 fave shows as a kid. I Love Lucy I can watch anytime. Golden Girls too."

Wow, Heather. Gimme A Break and Facts of Life take me wayy back!"

Right? I was like 5 when they were on.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I have been watching TV on the edge of my seat every Sunday for the past few weeks. Breaking Bad is FABULOUS. This season has been such a great one. I am sad to see it go though.

My husband and I are getting ready for
September: a couple of sitcoms and Sons of Anarchy

October: My favorite....The Walking Dead

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Shows that I love and am watching:
- How I Met Your Mother
- Grey's Anatomy
- Body of Proof
- Rizzoli & Isle
- Dexter (the murderer show not the cartoon :P)
- Carrie Diaries
- Castle

message 16: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Anybody watch Boardwalk Empire last night. I taped it but really need to catch up on old episodes before I begin the new season.

message 17: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Sep 19, 2013 11:46AM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Shows that I loved as a younger me and I still watch on occasion:
~Bewitched
~Facts of Life
~Who's the Boss
~Taxi (what does the yellow light mean?)
~Love Boat
~Fantasy Island
~I Love Lucy (the alien episode is my absolute favorite)
~Degrassi Junior High
~Knot's Landing
~Homefront with Kyle Chandler
~Early Edition
~Sex in the City
~The Golden Girls
~Three's Company
~Laverne and Shirley
~Cheers (preferred Shelley Long episodes)
~Little House on the Prairie
~New Adventures of Old Christine
~ABC Afterschool Special
~Sid and Marty Krofft Shows

message 18: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Sep 19, 2013 11:43AM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Shows that I currently watch:
~How I Met Your Mother
~Big Bang Theory
~Once Upon a Time
~Criminal Minds
~Law and Order SVU
~ Grimm
~Elementary
~Call the Midwife
~Downton Abbey

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments New shows that I will try:
~Sleepy Hollow
~Dracula
~Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
~Marvel : Agents of SHIELD

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) i can't wait for Dracula! I looooove Jonathan Ryes-Meyrs!

I love Bones, Criminal Minds, Tudors, The Big Bang Theory, Games of Throne (I only saw Season I, but that one was great!) Girls (only saw Season One, but loved that one!) TrueBlood, aaand guilty pleassure: Glee.
Maaan I do watch a lot of TV..

message 21: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Lots of new shows beginning with great actors like Allison Janney and Robin Williams. I rarely watch half hour situation comedies but I will try them and see. Also going to watch Hostages with another fave Toni Collette.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (k8kc) I used to watch Vampire Diaries, but this season's opener was AWFUL. Luckily I've found another TV show to be hooked onto: Pretty Little Liars

message 23: by Julia (last edited Jan 27, 2014 02:33AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I've purchased the DVD's for "Sherlock", the first two seasons, "Grimm", the first two seasons, and "Firefly" plus "Serenity". Since I dropped cable, I don't have television, but getting the series on DVD lets me NOT have to watch commercials :-)

Some others I've been able to get through my library:

The Big Bang Theory
Dollhouse
Fringe
Castle
Body of Proof

message 24: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

true, Julia and you Cam watch them at your own pace. you can have an all day marathan on a snowy day!

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) So true--one of the joys of being retired! Me, my cup of tea, an afghan--ahhhhhhh :-)

message 26: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

sounds heavenly, Julie!!

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Yes indeed :-) I love the Jorge Luis Borges quote: "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”

message 28: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Yes indeed :-) I love the Jorge Luis Borges quote: "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”"

Yes, that is a great quote! and so true!

message 29: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

anybody watch Hoarders?

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments LaLaLa Laura wrote: "anybody watch Hoarders?"

No, but I looked at a few hoarder houses when we were looking to buy last year.

message 31: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

really? how did they look (and smell) in person?!

message 32: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I feel bad for the people they depict on the show. some of them have had such sad lives

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments It was quite sad and sticky... :(

message 34: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

ohhhh! no

message 35: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Nov 11, 2013 05:03AM) (new)

I have been watching this shoe where's they try to find Bigfoot. I don't know what to make of this! :)

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) I forgot Big Bang Theory. I'm also liking the new comedy, Dads with Seth Green. It's hilarious.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Daniel wrote: "My favourite show of all time is Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think it is hilarious and I keep rewatching it. I hope Larry David will make a new season.

Regarding dramas I always enjoy shows from Shond..."

Will have to look into Orphan Black.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Another favorite of mine is Doc Martin a British comedy. Hoping they get a season 7!

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) Orphan Black is good. I haven't finished the first season yet though.

message 40: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I like to watch Doomsday Preppers on national geographic.

message 41: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Will anyone be watching the Grammys tonight? I used to watch award shows but haven't anymore.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Not I, Downton Abbey :)

message 43: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Is anybody watching the Super bowl today?

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments ^ Nope, Dowton Abbey :) The only football this girl watches is soccer.

message 45: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "^ Nope, Dowton Abbey :) The only football this girl watches is soccer."

I don't like it myself, but I am hosting the party today! yay!!! haha

message 46: by Julia (last edited Feb 03, 2014 02:45AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) My dad was a football coach in college--but professional football drives me nuts! It's a business, and this stat about the television ads during the Super Bowl is insane:

"In 2014, a 30-second spot is reportedly going for $4 million, up from $3.8 million in 2013." http://www.ibtimes.com/super-bowl-ads...

message 47: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I heard that too Julia about the TV commercials!

message 48: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

think of all the good the world could do with that money spent on ads!

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica First a have to admit I am getting ready to go fan girl so get ready.

I LOVE SHERLOCK!! Omg best show I have seen (surprisingly topped Breaking Bad and House, which is saying a lot for me) any of you due hard fans? We MUST chat!

Who's getting ready for:
Hannibal
Mad Men and/or
The new Strain! So excited it finally made it to tv!

message 50: by Julia (last edited Feb 23, 2014 05:56AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) My DVD of the third season of SHERLOCK arrived yesterday, and I marathon-watched all three episodes in a row!! What an amazing show :-)

I love that the parents of Mycroft and Sherlock in this season are the REAL parents of Benedict Cumberbatch, Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton. (I'm not sure who the girl with them is):

And when John gets married in the show, the actress playing Mary is his real-life partner Amanda Abbington.

« previous 1