Expats - The English-speaking French discussion

Links and Resources > How many expats?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Marzocca (tinaconcetta) | 1 comments I'm an ex-pat.. American living in the south of France. (Near Nimes)

message 2: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Hello, English is not my mother tongue but I speak better English than French. I am a Dane living and working in France, Nancy

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Jens wrote: "Hello, English is not my mother tongue but I speak better English than French. I am a Dane living and working in France, Nancy"

Hi Jens,

I'm an American living in the Perigord Noir. The British people here tell me that my English is better than my French, but only a little better, LOL!!!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 20 comments Mod
It was people, wine and food - in that order, Peg. NOT books.

I'm Suze and I've retired to the Tarn et Garonne close to the officially Plus Beau Village de France of Lauzerte.

I like Simenon BTW, and not just the Maigret novels.

message 5: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments The same here - it was people - my wife - not books that made me move. However, some of the sentiments or expectations I had about going to France and particular Paris was from an old Danish book with short stories "Veritabel Pariser" by Henrik Stangerup. Also reading Anne Gavalda has basis for some of my expectations about moving to France

message 6: by Susan (new)

Greatest surprise? The food. It really isn't that good and the choice is appalling. Twenty years ago the food in France was fabulous - I'm afraid the French have stood still while the Brits have forged ahead.

message 7: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments That French is so difficult to learn...
and that there are not many - if any expat activities or events in Nancy (where I live and work) even though it has a large university.

message 8: by Susan (new)

I agree, Jens. Though to be fair we are in the heart of rural France. There's a small ex-pat community, but it's not entirely my thing. Patchwork and Zumba don't really work for me! I suggested a book-club but to say it fell on stony ground would be to put it mildly!

message 9: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Susan wrote: "Though to be fair we are in the heart of rural France. There's a small ex-pat community, but it's not entirely my thing. Patchwork and Zumba don't really work for me! I suggeste..."

True. Patchwork and Zumba don't work for me too! But you didn't ask me about a book-club - there are exception in the rural France :) However, I am not an attractive book-club fellow - as no one want to wait me finishing a book....

message 10: by Susan (new)

Awww, Jens, sorry! I'm hoping we might have a bit of a Book Club on here at some point? What I meant, though, was a physically meeting Club with local ex-pats, rather than this (very good) virtual one. Unfortunately I'm a vey long way from Nancy!!

message 11: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Lucky you, Susan! You are not living in the French Siberia (actually I like Nancy – in spite of lacking expat opportunities).
I hope one day to have the time for a book club – real or vertical – or to find a group with slow readers :). Or I should stop read five books at the same time.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise Warman (louisewarman) | 6 comments Hello from a newbie to the group.
I live with my partner down in the Hautes-Pyrenees where we've been since 2010. We are here for the mountains :) - skiers, bikers (with and without engines), walkers.
There is a busy ex-pat community in the region, but we have been trying to integrate, which is tough when you live in a tiny (but very welcoming) village of less than a 100 most of whome are retired farmers!
But it sure beats the traffic in Oxford anyday.

L

message 13: by Susan (new)

Hello, and welcome! Know what you mean about the traffic. I'm back to the UK for a week this evening and already dreading it!

message 14: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Louise wrote: "Hello from a newbie to the group.
I live with my partner down in the Hautes-Pyrenees where we've been since 2010. We are here for the mountains :) - skiers, bikers (with and without engines), walk..."

But you have the change to live in a region (the south of France) populated with foreigners. Enven Danish (my mother tongue) groups you find there.

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise Warman (louisewarman) | 6 comments So true, Jens. There are 68 people in our commune, including a Belgian and Dutch couple as well as us. All retirees.
We are back in the Uk next week, Susan. Driving around the Tarbes ring road just does not prepare you for the M25!!

Thanks for the welcome, too.

message 16: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Thanks Peggy

message 17: by Susan (new)

Back from the UK, and glad of it! All folk seem to do in England is go shopping. Since when did it become a hobby!?

Very quiet here, where is everyone?

message 18: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Susan wrote: "Back from the UK, and glad of it! All folk seem to do in England is go shopping. Since when did it become a hobby!?

Very quiet here, where is everyone?"

Welcome back :)
Really, is shopping a special UK thing - I don't believe so. Ok, you can spend your afternoon on the terasse in Southern France with a glass of wine and a good book the incentives for shopping are may be relatively smaller.
I think expats have a busy life.... Management of life (especially with French bureaucracy) in a foreign country takes more time.

By the may, I saw you are reading "Sweet tooth". I hope you will tell if it is worth reading. I have read McEvans' Atonnement. It was great so....

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela Randall (smange) | 22 comments Mod
Wow. This group didn't really have many people last I looked and all of a sudden it's got some chatter. Yay! Hi all!

I'm halfway between Bordeaux and Toulouse. There's a bunch of ex-pats vaguely South of me and Millions an hour north of me in Dordogneshire. There's actually quite a thriving British community in Aquitaine.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Angela wrote: "Wow. This group didn't really have many people last I looked and all of a sudden it's got some chatter. Yay! Hi all!

I'm halfway between Bordeaux and Toulouse. There's a bunch of ex-pats vaguely S..."

I live near Sarlat and I have many British friends, mostly retirees, as well as a few who have vacation homes here. As you say, a thriving community...

message 21: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments Hi Angela, welcome, I hope you stay around to sustain the chatter!!

Angela wrote: "Wow. This group didn't really have many people last I looked and all of a sudden it's got some chatter. Yay! Hi all!

I'm halfway between Bordeaux and Toulouse. There's a bunch of ex-pats vaguely S..."

Hi An
Angela wrote: "Wow. This group didn't really have many people last I looked and all of a sudden it's got some chatter. Yay! Hi all!

Jens wrote: "Susan wrote: "Back from the UK, and glad of it! All folk seem to do in England is go shopping. Since when did it become a hobby!?

Very quiet here, where is everyone?"

Welcome back :)
Really, is..."

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Verdier | 2 comments Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to Goodreads and a recent member of the group. I'm an American who has lived in Paris and now resides in Lyon. I look forward to hearing about your recommendations :)

message 23: by Jens (new)

Jens (abild) | 10 comments welcome here!

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim Amanda wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to Goodreads and a recent member of the group. I'm an American who has lived in Paris and now resides in Lyon. I look forward to hearing about your recommendations :)"

Hi Amanda,

I've only been in Lyon once, some years ago, while visiting the Lyon Biennial Expo. Do you like the city?

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Verdier | 2 comments Jim wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to Goodreads and a recent member of the group. I'm an American who has lived in Paris and now resides in Lyon. I look forward to hearing about your re..."

Hello Jim,

I'm one of those rare people that prefer Lyon to Paris. It's just big enough to have many shops and restaurants, but small enough to be way less crowded at rush hour compared to the capital.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim Amanda wrote: "It's just big enough to have many shops and restaurants, but small enough to be way less crowded at rush hour compared to the capital.."

That makes sense, certainly. The Paris Peripherique is a Dantean (sp?) nightmare - the tenth circle of hell...

If you find any extraordinary restaurants, etc., in your area, please let us all know.