Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Change author name on profile

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Hello,

I recently changed my author name from "Justin Angeloff" to "Kosio Angelov" which is my actual name.

1) Can someone please update my profile to reflect that change?

2) Please delete all books from my profile as updated versions (with the new author name) have a different ISBN.

Thank you,

Kosio Angelov

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Justin wrote: "Hello,

I recently changed my author name from "Justin Angeloff" to "Kosio Angelov" which is my actual name.

1) Can someone please update my profile to reflect that change?

2) Please delete all books from my profile as updated versions (with the new author name) have a different ISBN.

Thank you,

Kosio Angelov "

Your books must stay on a profile named "Justin Angeloff" because that is the name on their covers. New editions with the new name, "Kosio Angelov", can be added and combined with the old editions but there will still be two profiles for your old and new names.

I've added your request to the appropriate thread for the staff to deal with.

message 3: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments In such a case, can you delete the current books that are under Justin Angeloff?

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Justin wrote: "In such a case, can you delete the current books that are under Justin Angeloff?"

The current books will stay on Goodreads because we keep all books. They will be on a profile called "Justin Angeloff" which might be a new profile or perhaps your current one depending on how the staff decide to handle your name change.

message 5: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Ok, thanks for the reply.

How would I know what the final decision on the name change is?

message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Justin wrote: "Ok, thanks for the reply.

How would I know what the final decision on the name change is?"

I would assume you would get a PM if only because you are likely to end up with two author profiles.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41717 comments Mod
Kosio, if you (or someone else) add the new editions with Kosio Angelov as the secondary author, I can transfer your account over to that profile. Right now it does not exist, so there's nowhere for me to transfer you to.

As was explained above, all the editions published under Justin Angeloff will remain, and will be linked to the new editions.

message 8: by Banjomike (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:52AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Here is the Kosio Angeloff profile after the usual problems of adding a similar author name.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Edit: the ISBN or ASIN for the ebook is not obvious. I'll add it when it turns up.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Kosio, you want the blog to move over as well, yes?

message 10: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Thanks for all!

Please correct my last name to "Angelov" though.

Yes, please move over the blog as well.

Let me know if there is something I need to do.

Thanks,

Kosio Angelov

message 11: by Banjomike (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Justin wrote: "Thanks for all!
Please correct my last name to "Angelov" though.
Yes, please move over the blog as well.
Let me know if there is something I need to do.
Thanks,

Kosio Angelov"

Sorry about the spelling. Fixed it now.

message 12: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Thanks for the change.

Would the URL change on its own? Right now it still says "Angeloff".

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ok, done. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I left the already-imported blog posts on the original profile (in case there were any comments), but going forward only the new one will import posts.

message 14: by David (new)

David Bernstein | 15 comments Hello, My book Damaged Souls isnt showing up on my author page. There needs to be 3 spaces between my first and last name. I'm hoping this will fix the problem. Thank you!

message 15: by Paw3pals (new)

Paw3pals | 1939 comments David wrote: "Hello, My book Damaged Souls isnt showing up on my author page. There needs to be 3 spaces between my first and last name. I'm hoping this will fix the problem. Thank you!"

Should be fixed now.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It gets confusing when a thread linked to a specific book is also used for other books. Start new ones for other books.

message 17: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments rivka, thanks for all the help.

Everything seems to be working fine. The only little issue I see is that no profile pic is showing on my public profile. I tried deleting the one I have and re-uploading but still no change.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Kosio Angelov

message 18: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Scratch my last post, I am all set :)

Thank you to everyone who made this happen for me! You guys rock!

Kosio

message 19: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Kosio wrote: "You guys rock!

Kosio"

Hell, yes.

I've added a link on your old profile that points to your 'proper' profile. It should help anyone who has bookmarked your old page to find your new page. See if you are happy with the wording.

message 20: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Now I see 4 separate editions of my book:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

---------------------------------

Can you please delete these 2 duplicates:

-----------------

Can you please remove "Justin Angeloff" as the author of the two that are left? The way the books are listed right now, it appears that there are 2 authors and it is both me so it looks confusing.

Thanks,

Kosio Angelov

message 21: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Kosio wrote: "Can you please remove "Justin Angeloff" as the author of the two that are left? The way the books are listed right now, it appears that there are 2 authors and it is both me so it looks confusing.
"

No, sorry.

There ARE 4 editions of your book. Two that you wrote as 'Justin' and two that you wrote as 'Kosio'. If the original two don't have Kosio listed as an author then they won't appear on your Kosio profile. The two authors business is standard when an author has, like you, two names he writes, or has written, under.

message 22: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments I understand the logic behind it but I think this creates a confusion for the reader and the false impression that there are two authors of the book. Plus it creates unnecessary clutter on Goodreads which is such a nicely and neatly organized community.

The paperback editions do have different ISBNs so I understand if you leave them untouched but the Kindle listings have the same ASIN so they are literally duplicates.

If you can make this correction I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Kosio Angelov

message 23: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Kosio wrote: "Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 9 comments I understand the logic behind it but I think this creates a confusion for the reader and the false impression that there are two authors of the book. Plus it creates unnecessary clutter on Goodreads which is such a nicely and neatly organized community.

The paperback editions do have different ISBNs so I understand if you leave them untouched but the Kindle listings have the same ASIN so they are literally duplicates.

If you can make this correction I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Kosio Angelov "

It is a frequent request but we cannot comply. Only the staff can vary the rules and to my knowledge they have never varied this one. It is fundamental to Goodreads plan of being a database of every edition of every book ever published.

message 24: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Ok, makes sense. Thanks for giving me all the details.

One last request, if possible, can Kosio Angelov be listed as the first author, not the second? This is just a visual details but it makes a difference to me.

Thanks,

Kosio Angelov

message 25: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Kosio wrote: "Ok, makes sense. Thanks for giving me all the details.

One last request, if possible, can Kosio Angelov be listed as the first author, not the second? This is just a visual details but it makes a difference to me.

Thanks,

Kosio Angelov "

The answer is a variation on the previous answers. The two earliest editions hit the shelves as 'Justin'. The later editions as Kosio. The Goodreads rule which relates to pen names & name changes says that the first name listed on the book record will be the name under which the book was first published. If it is republished under a pseudonym,or in your case NOT under a pseudonym, then the new name is added in second place.

The actual bit in the manual says: In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments GR policy is to list as the primary author the name the book was first published under

message 27: by Kosio (new)

Kosio Angelov (kosioangelov) | 11 comments Ok, I get it.

Thanks for all the info and for all the good work.

As I said before, you guys ROCK!

message 28: by lethe (last edited Jun 24, 2015 03:13AM) (new)

lethe | 13580 comments Nicolas wrote: "this is ridiculous! how come staff is the exception to the rule?? goodreads needs to get it together!"

Are you just trolling or do you have an actual complaint?

(Edited to add N's comment)

message 29: by Abcdarian (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:19AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments #29: Please see rivka's comment 16 above: It gets confusing when a thread linked to a specific author is also used for other authors. Plus you have already made this request in the merge authors thread. And if you read this whole thread, you will see that simply changing the name is not going to happen.

Also, as it is a weekend, patience is required. :-)

message 30: by Emily (last edited Jan 05, 2019 07:08PM) (new)

Emily | 13038 comments Joseph, you will need to contact staff about your name and books because we don't have access to your author dashboard.
https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

This thread will need to be closed.

message 31: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) | 35355 comments Insert periods LK Hunsaker.

message 32: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) | 35355 comments On my read list, Edward Steers Jr. comes out "Jr., Edward Steers".

Correct and combine Edward Steers Jr.

Same as Edward Steers?

message 33: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) | 35355 comments On my read list, Cheryl St. John comes out "John, Cheryl St.".

message 34: by Emily (last edited Jan 05, 2019 09:04PM) (new)

Emily | 13038 comments Liz, if a Goodreads Author has a mistake in their name, librarians don't have access to edit it. You will need to post about those in this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I am working on Edward Steers. Done

This thread is largely linked to a particular author, so just make a different one for other requests.

message 35: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) | 35355 comments Emily wrote: "Liz, if a Goodreads Author has a mistake in their name, librarians don't have access to edit it. You will need to post about those in this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

I did create threads but suddenly had to prove "not a robot" for new thread. Thought perhaps should be using general thread.

message 36: by Emily (last edited Jan 05, 2019 09:18PM) (new)

Emily | 13038 comments Liz V. wrote: "Emily wrote: "Liz, if a Goodreads Author has a mistake in their name, librarians don't have access to edit it. You will need to post about those in this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show..."

I see! Thanks for the info.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.