Who's Your Author? discussion

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
This topic is about Artemis Fowl
Member Buddy Reads > Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer - Start Date September 9th

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments  photo artemisfowlcollage_zps38fbca14.png

This topic is open for discussion of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Twelve-year-old villain, Artemis Fowl, is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. His bold and daring plan is to hold a leprechaun to ransom. But he's taking on more than he bargained for when he kidnaps Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance Unit). For a start, leprechaun technology is more advanced than our own. Add to that the fact that Holly is a true heroine and that her senior officer Commander Root will stop at nothing to get her back and you've got the mother of all sieges brewing!

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:28AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments When do you want to start? I've got from tomorrow to the 11th open for buddy reads.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments We can start anytime.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments Should we start Artemis Fowl today?

message 5: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Sure.

message 6: by Sara (last edited Sep 10, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Prologue - Chapter 5

Warning, Spoilers Ahead...

"He has puzzled the greatest medical minds, and sent many of them gibbering to their own hospitals." -- Artemis Fowl is an evil genius?

I wonder why his parents decided to name him after a Greek goddess?

"He was twelve years old at the time..." -- I can tell I'm going to enjoy this book.

A cosh is a "thick heavy stick or bar used as a weapon".

I wonder if his parents are evil masterminds too or have simply given up on reigning in Artemis?

"...sons of European crime lords" - yep, his parents are naughty too.

Artemis Sr. went kaboom due to a missle sent by the Russian mafia - did his wife have a nervous breakdown or did something else cause her insanity.

"He'd once gone to Defcon Two because his human satellite stations were out." -- I like Foaly.

"The bulge, he rationalized, was caused by all the equipment they jammed in these things." -- That is how I will explain my bulges from now on.

"That was his second joke in recent times. And his first aloud. Better take care. This was no time for frivolity." -- Artemis, a wild and crazy boy.

"Now before we get into anything, ladies, no scratching, no spitting, and no tattling to Mommy." -- Butler forgot to mention hair pulling and below the belt shots.

"Artemis Fowl. For some reason, even the name made her shiver." I'm not sure why - it means "hunter of chicken".

"You're absolutely right. I have no clue what's going on. So there's no future in psyching me out." -- You tell her, Julie!

"I've been dying for somebody to practice my pile driver on." - Julie's a girl after my own heart - I'm a huge fan of professional wrestling too.

The last time Foaly updated the Dublin files was 1875 and we were told earlier in the book that it's the third millennium. Yep, the maps are slightly out of date.

"Foaly did not like budget jokes." - Techs usually don't.

message 7: by Sara (last edited Sep 10, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 6 - End

"Plus there was one less whaler in the world. Artemis Fowl did not like whalers. There were less objectionable ways to produce oil by-products." -- Even evil has standards!

"Don't make me demonstrate my full nelson." -- Poor Julie is just dying to practice her wrestling moves.

Mulch Diggums - I think this is the most unique take on dwarves in mines I've seen in fiction. Dwarves usually tunnel with shovels not their mouths.

"So if you're expecting civility because I've testified against you some fifteen times, forget it." - Court testimony, a true bonding experience.

Poor Foaley! He should have caught on there was a reason everyone vacated the area when Mulch started tunneling.

Poor Butler! Mulch is the most dangerous character in the book!

If I was Butler, I would demand a pay raise and a support team.

I love how Artemis has decided he has to be more devious and subtle now that his mom has regained her sanity. It's okay to be evil but you have to keep under mom's radar.

The book was very cute and made me laugh out loud several times.

message 8: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Sara wrote: "Thoughts on Prologue - Chapter 5

"He has puzzled the greatest medical minds, and sent many of them gibbering to their own hospitals." -- Artemis Fowl is an evil genius?..."

Your comments are making me laugh.

I like all the fairy technology.

I had no clue what a Pile Driver was so thanks for that.

Will read the rest tomorrow.

So was Foaley getting tongue tied when his boss was going after Holly because he was coming out of retirement, or did he have a secret identity? I couldn't quite tell. No idea who'd he be.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I think it's because root was coming out of retirement. It seems to have been a long time since he was "in the field."

message 10: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments So I finally finished. I had a hard time with this one. It wasn't really my type of humor, but you're comments made it more enjoyable. I have to be in the mood for this type and I guess I wasn't. Still I'd give it a 3 out 5 stars. It was cute and my sons would absolutely love it.

Sara said, "Mulch Diggums - I think this is the most unique take on dwarves in mines I've seen in fiction. Dwarves usually tunnel with shovels not their mouths.

He sounded like a mole man.

Sara said, "Plus there was one less whaler in the world. Artemis Fowl did not like whalers. There were less objectionable ways to produce oil by-products." -- Even evil has standards!"

Yes, this was funny. Evil in the eye of the doer and observer can be at odds.

Sara said, "I love how Artemis has decided he has to be more devious and subtle now that his mom has regained her sanity. It's okay to be evil but you have to keep under mom's radar."

That did make me laugh. He's a moma's boy at heart.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Will you watch the movie?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/29...

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I'll go see the movie. Two of my nieces live next door to me - they would love it. I'll so the same thing I did with Percy Jackson series - I will read the book with them before we go see the movie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Artemis Fowl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eoin Colfer (other topics)