The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 20.3. Best Review - Stefu's task: Most Read Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Oct 27, 2013 07:31AM) (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
20.3. Best Review - Stefu's task: Most Read Authors

Thank you all for voting for my review! Since the book I reviewed is by my “Most Read Author,” I am dedicating this task to Most Read Authors!

I love using Goodreads’ many features. One of these features is viewing your Most Read Authors. To get to this page, click on “My Books,” then click “Most Read Authors” on the left hand side of the screen under the list of your bookshelves.  photo ScreenShot2013-09-02at71445AM.png

This will display all of the authors from which you have read at least two books. It also gives you the option to view your friends’ Most Read Authors (friends are listed on the right hand side of the screen, listed in order of most books added). For this task, roll two dice, Dice Roller, and follow this example:

Your dice roll will lead you to the author you will read. If you rolled a 2 and a 5, then you would do the following: Click on the 2nd friend in the list (corresponding to the number 2 rolled—again, the friend order goes from the friend with the most books added down to the least books added). This will show you that friend's most read authors. Then count down 5 authors (corresponding to the number 5 rolled) and read a book by that author. Alternatively, you could choose to use the 5th friend and read the 2nd author on their list. Feel free to look at both options and pick either one. If you roll doubles, roll again to give you both options. In rare cases, the options for authors will not work under the SRC guidelines (for example, the author may only write children’s picture books). In this case, just re-roll the dice.

ALTERNATE METHOD:
1. Pull up your list of friends, from your Home page or your Profile page.
2. At the top of the list of friends, to the right of the letters of the alphabet, there's a sort box. Sort by "books added." Use one of your die roll numbers to count down the list of friends to find the one to use.
3. Click on the friend's name.
4. When you get to the friend's page, click on the gray bar that says "X's Bookshelves."
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the list of shelves, and you'll find a link for "Most Read Authors." Count down the number from your second die to find the author you should use.
6. Repeat for the other combination of the dice.

REQUIRED: In your post, include the results of your dice roll and the name of the GR friend whose list you used.

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" with 100+ pages may be used for this task.

NOTE: Genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” may be used for this task.

message 2: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Reserved

message 3: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments On the list I chose---
it's numbered
1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5

Do I pick the second 3 to be the 4th on her list???
There was no 4 when I rolled a 4.

message 6: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Such a great task. This one will be fun!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments Ohhh me likey!!

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments rolled a 2, 4 and ack...both authors i've read and neither one i've really enjoyed...who knows, maybe 3rd time for both will be the charm

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Great task Stefu and yet another feature of goodreads that I was unaware of. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

message 10: by Donna Jo (last edited Sep 03, 2013 07:35AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments What fun! I rolled 5, 4. So I can use Cynthia (friend #5) and read a Stephanie Laurens (author #4)
OR I can use Diane S (friend #4) and read a Sarah Addison Allen(listed in what would be the #4 spot, but in a 6 way tie for 4) Either way, I win.

Oops, I may have goofed counting people. I counted straight down because I had my screen shifted over and didn't realize there were two columns, but I should probably go across and down. But that still gives me Iris Johanson and Beverly Cleary.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 494 comments Since my friends are in two columns, do I count down or do I count from left to right? I hope this makes sense.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments i think you could figure it out since the order is based on books added...right? (or am I over-thinking?)

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 494 comments If I do it on books added that would mean left to right. Thanks Dee, that makes sense. I missed that part :)

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments mine are in two columns also but it sounds like we go by number of books so that will tell .

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 494 comments Thanks Shelia. I guess I just read it too fast and was excited to see a new task posted :)

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments For what it's worth, the list of "most read" authors also includes books you have listed as "to read."

message 17: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 03, 2013 10:30AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments This is a fun task! I never looked at the "most read author" link before. Mine doesn't include my TBR because I don't use the big green button, I created a separate to-be-read shelf.

Just so I don't forget, I rolled 3 and 5, friends are (3) Taylor and (5) Trisha, authors are (5) Sandra Brown and (3) Lauren Oliver respectively, and I have a Lauren Oliver on TBR so that will be the one.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

we are only supposed to read one book for this task right?

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1273 comments My question is similar to Kathy's in message 5. I rolled a 6 for the book to read from my friend's list. When I get to the 6th author, there is a three-way tie for 6 (three author's whose books my friend has read 7 of for each). Can I choose from among those three authors or do I pick the one who occupies the exact spot when I count from 1 to 6 and land on the 6th one?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

In case I add more friends and bump down who I rolled, here it is for the record: I rolled a 2 (Colette) and a 4 (Anne McCaffrey).

Such a great task!

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Oh, shoot! Now I am conflicted. I rolled a 5, 1. So I counted down the first column and picked my fifth friend listed in that column (Hettie) and looked at her top author. Since I had not heard of that author, I looked at my first friend (Karen K Miller) and her fifth rated author - Fern Michaels (actually tied for 4th). So I ran to the library and got out Fast Track.

Then I came home to this discussion and found that counting across, my fifth friend becomes Marla and her top author is Jame Patterson - a favorite of mine! Now do I choose one of his books or stick with Michaels? Decisions, decisions. :)

message 22: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "we are only supposed to read one book for this task right?"

The 20-point tasks are always one book.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 671 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "we are only supposed to read one book for this task right?"

Alternatively, you could choose to use the 5th friend and read the 2nd author on their list. Feel free to look at both options and pick either one.

20-pointers normally are and by the wording, I'd say yes. I love that we've got the option of picking either book. :)

I, too, goofed the first time I looked for a book. I think I've got it right this time:

I rolled a 4 - which is Sandra, and I also rolled a 3 - and her 3rd most read is Georgette Heyer. This is awesome, since I wanted to fit a couple of her books into the challenge. :) Save good old "15.10" for something else.

message 24: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments This was a quite limiting task, as I have only 3 friends on Goodreads. So I had to roll 3 times, as the first two rolls were 4/6 and 5/5.

The third time I rolled a 2/2, so I'm limited to one author, but as this author is Stephen King, I think I can live with this.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks all! I kind of figured it was only one book but I thought I'd check! :)

Rolled 1&2
1: friend- Carrie
2: author- Seeds of Yesterday

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Fandury wrote: "This was a quite limiting task, as I have only 3 friends on Goodreads. So I had to roll 3 times, as the first two rolls were 4/6 and 5/5.

The third time I rolled a 2/2, so I'm limited to one auth..."

If you'd like to add more friends, take a look at the folder http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4.... Many people have posted there who would like to add more GR friends. And I am always okay with friend requests from any SRC participants - just note that you're an SRC participant in response to my challenge question (Why do you want to be my friend?).

message 27: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Sandy wrote: "And I am always okay with friend requests from any SRC participants - just note that you're an SRC participant in response to my challenge question (Why do you want to be my friend?)."

That goes for me, also.

message 28: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I am also willing to accept friend requests. Just mention SRC in challenge question.

message 29: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Kathy G. wrote: "On the list I chose---
it's numbered
1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5

Do I pick the second 3 to be the 4th on her list???
There was no 4 when I rolled a 4."

Good question. In your case you would pick the second 3 listed.

In general for this task, the number rolled corresponds to the author's position in the list, not the numbering next to the authors. For example, your friend could have six authors tied for first place and they would all have a 1 to the left of their name. That's why you just start at the top of the list and count down.

message 30: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Donna Jo wrote: "What fun! I rolled 5, 4. So I can use Cynthia (friend #5) and read a Stephanie Laurens (author #4)
OR I can use Diane S (friend #4) and read a Sarah Addison Allen(listed in what would be the #4 sp..."

Yeah, the friend counting can be a little confusing. It is set up with two columns and the order goes top left, top right, then down a row left to right, etc.

message 31: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Angela wrote: "If I do it on books added that would mean left to right. Thanks Dee, that makes sense. I missed that part :)"

Yeah, the order goes left to right. So: Top left, top right, then down a row left to right, etc. If there is any confusion, just stick with number of books added.

message 32: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Chris wrote: "For what it's worth, the list of "most read" authors also includes books you have listed as "to read.""

That's weird...Mine doesn't do that. Although, if I click on the number of books read, it takes me to a list that includes my "to-read" shelf, but only counted the ones I have marked as "read."

message 33: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "we are only supposed to read one book for this task right?"

Yes, only one book. For future reference, all 20 point tasks are one-book tasks.

message 34: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Amy wrote: "My question is similar to Kathy's in message 5. I rolled a 6 for the book to read from my friend's list. When I get to the 6th author, there is a three-way tie for 6 (three author's whose books my ..."

Your choice would be the author in the exact sixth spot. You can ignore the numbers to the left of the author.

message 35: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Fandury wrote: "This was a quite limiting task, as I have only 3 friends on Goodreads. So I had to roll 3 times, as the first two rolls were 4/6 and 5/5.

The third time I rolled a 2/2, so I'm limited to one auth..."

Sorry it ended up being so limiting for you! Stephen King is my favorite, so I'm sure you'll be fine with that!

message 36: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments Rolled a 4 & 1

GR Friend: Lady Allison
Author: Susan Mallory

message 37: by Randy (new)

Randy | 39 comments I really like this task! even though I don't usually do the dice roller ones. I rolled a 4 & 3 which came up for my friend Lahni's 3rd most read author, J.K. Rowling. The book I am reading is "The Cuckoo's Calling" published under Rowling's pseudonym, Robert Galbraith. Can I count this book here, since I have already read all of her books written under her own name?

message 38: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Randy wrote: "I really like this task! even though I don't usually do the dice roller ones. I rolled a 4 & 3 which came up for my friend Lahni's 3rd most read author, J.K. Rowling. The book I am reading is "The ..."

Yes, let's count pseudonyms/pen names for this task. So you can read "Robert Galbraith" for the "J.K. Rowling" selection. Same would work if you got "Richard Bachman" and decided to read "Stephen King."

message 39: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Would a co-authord book work? Terry Prachett ended up being one of the author/reader combos - could I read The Long War which he co-authored with Stephen Baxter?
thanks!

message 40: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Bekka wrote: "Would a co-authord book work? Terry Prachett ended up being one of the author/reader combos - could I read The Long War which he co-authored with Stephen Baxter?
thanks!"

Yes, let's count co-authors for this task also.

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments ack - i'm assuming if our friends list changes (like one person just went from 5 to 4) - that I can use the original, as long as I note where they were?

message 42: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 820 comments I'm going to post this here so I can keep track of it. I rolled a 4 and 5. My 4th friend was Meghan (with the stars in front/back of her name) and her 5th most read author is Cassandra Clare.

message 43: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "ack - i'm assuming if our friends list changes (like one person just went from 5 to 4) - that I can use the original, as long as I note where they were?"

From the moderator's stand point, that's fine, Dee. Just include a note to the effect that when you chose the book you read [friend's name] was #5 on your list and her #X (whatever other number your rolled) favorite author was [author of book you chose]. Does that make sense?

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments yeah - I did...I got totally confused for a moment when I went to verify because I couldn't find the friend I swore was there...I didn't realize the friend thing rotates...but problem fixed (and posted) ;)

message 45: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments I rolled a 2 & 5 and picked my 5th friend, Aileen and 2nd author, Stephen King.

The Stand by Stephen King

message 46: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Stefu wrote: "Bekka wrote: "Would a co-authord book work? Terry Prachett ended up being one of the author/reader combos - could I read The Long War which he co-authored with Stephen Baxter?
thanks!"

Yes, let's ..."

Thanks, Stefu!

message 47: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Sep 15, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments I rolled a 3 and a two and I decided to reverse them and use:

Sheila - 2nd friend going from left to right

3rd Author: Janet Evanovich.

Am I correct? Is this the correct way to do your task?

A Note: Anyone needs GR friends for this task, send me a friend request and state SRC. I'll accept every friend request from SRC members.

message 48: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I rolled a 3 and a two and I decided to reverse them and use:

Am I correct? Is this the correct way to do your task?..."

Looks like you've done this correctly. Enjoy Evanovich!

message 49: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Stefu wrote: "Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I rolled a 3 and a two and I decided to reverse them and use:

Am I correct? Is this the cor..."

Thanks!

message 50: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments I rolled a 6 and a 2, so will select my 6th friend (LIZZ NEILL) and her 2nd most read author is Sherrilyn Kenyon. Just wanted to post this in case of any changes to my friend list.

« previous 1