Brain Pain discussion

Lectures on Literature
This topic is about Lectures on Literature
Lectures on Literature - Nabo 13 > Discussion - Week Three - Lectures on Literature - Madame Bovary

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 3056 comments Mod
This discussion covers Lecture Three, Madame Bovary, p.125 – 177

Nabokov expounds on the forces that make and mold human beings in Madame Bovary.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I read this lecture yesterday, after finishing Madame Bovary, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book left me with a strong impression of the stark contrast between its beautiful poetic style and its 'less than romantic' characters and plot. This juxtaposition is stark and effective, and Nabakov's explanation and illustrations of Flaubert's counterpoint technique enhanced my appreciation of its effect.

He also points out some interesting points on imagery and themes in the novel, which I had overlooked.

Nabokov is a bigger fan of the book than I, but his analysis certainly enhanced my opinion of its artistic greatness. He makes a good pitch!

If this lecture is indicative of his others, he is a strongly opinionated and very funny lecturer. I would have loved to have him as a prof - well at least we have the book of lectures. I am glad I own it so I can dip in to read the other lectures alongside the novels.

message 3: by Jim (last edited Sep 09, 2013 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 3056 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "If this lecture is indicative of his others, he is a strongly opinionated and very funny lecturer. I would have loved to have him as a prof - well at least we have the book of lectures. I am glad I own it so I can dip in to read the other lectures alongside the novels..."

I would have liked to study under him too. I read that Thomas Pynchon sat in on Nabokov's lectures while he was a student at Cornell.

I also had mixed feelings about MB, but as you said, Nabokov enhanced those feelings and I'm inclined to do a reread soon.

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I know what you mean, I'm already thinking of a re-read... I wonder if there would be any value in reading the lectures first - or at least alongside the novels. Have you tried that with any, Jim?

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 3056 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "I know what you mean, I'm already thinking of a re-read... I wonder if there would be any value in reading the lectures first - or at least alongside the novels. Have you tried that with any, Jim?"

No, this is my first reading of Nabokov's lectures. I downloaded Dr. Jekyll - which I last read 40 years ago and so have zero recollection of - and might try a reread along with the lecture.

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I might try it with Mansfield Park. Enjoy!