Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > A Path less followed. **Possible Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 178 comments Basically, a collection of unsupported intuitive directions my mind has wondered down over countless rereads. Ignore-add your own, whatever…

I can’t help but shake the sense that tinkers are more than traders. Every time, Kvothe interacts with them, he refuses something offered. Only to need what the tinker offered a bit further on in the plot line.
Like the Chandrian; everyone treats them with respect and mysticism, but never why. Kvothe, doesn't offer why the Ruh treat Tinkers so, And The Tinker doesn't Question, Kvothe's earnestness once reveled that he was Ruh.
The song ‘Tinker Tanner’ is said to be the oldest song, Kvothe asserted as much to, Denna anyway as they left anchors. Though I’m not wedded to the notion as it could have been just a teenage boy trying to be caviler to a young girl. However, I also seem to recall, Kvothe saying it to either, Sim or Wil when they were laying drunk by the waystone.

The first book is the Key.
The Second book is the lock.
The Third book is the door.

There was an offhand comment about, Denna being on her own adventure that just happens to be crossing, Kvothes path.

What if something Similar has happened to, Denna. Just with the Aymr or other faction/factions. What if she ran off with some charming ass. He dumps her and she crawls back to her family with her tail between her legs (like she suggested the girl from the alley to do) only to find her family was attacked and murdered for purposes unknown. She concluded for some reason or another that the Amry/faction/ or even the chandrian were responsible and she like, kvothe plans to exact her revenge. It adds more weight to why she would go through what her “patron” puts her through. It is her purpose in life to get what she wants. Revenge. Also why she would turn to the life of prostitution? Because, she didn’t have a family to go back to, after charming ass dropped her?

Again totally baseless ramblings… But I enjoy wandering around in the stories. It gives me something to do as I wait for the Door.

message 2: by Falanasi (new)

Falanasi | 15 comments Servius Heiner wrote: "Basically, a collection of unsupported intuitive directions my mind has wondered down over countless rereads. Ignore-add your own, whatever…

I can’t help but shake the sense that tinkers are more..."

No I think you very much have something there. I've been thinking along the same lines. I think the Tinkers, the Ruh, and the Singers are related in some way (the Ruh, I believe are an off branch of the Singers). My belief is that Denna is a descendant of the Singers, and yes she is Kvothe's female counterpart. They are both looking in strangely similar places for very similar things...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread was moved to: General by Scott.

If you believe this to be a mistake in categorization please send him a message.

Servius  Heiner  | 178 comments Kvothe’s Box:

Reveled in conversations with, Bast that it is indeed his box in all meaning. He built it.

“Why did you make it with iron, Reshi?”

“I was rather proud of the design, hiding the hinges” or something close to that.

So, my question is why is he unable to open it?
What does it contain?

Lately I have been toying with the idea that, Kvothe locked his own name in the box. Possibly to protect himself whilst battling the Chandrain. Being clever has lead him to folly before. I suspect if he did lock his own name away, he wasn’t fully aware of what the repercussions would be. Like binding the air in his longs to the are outside of his lungs. He might have succeeded in protecting himself to some degree, but also placing a serious handicap on himself.
??? I don’t know.

message 5: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 3 comments That's a very interesting concept you know... His names been locked away for so long for no reason that it's as though he's lost a part of himself... His legendary power is fading away within that box...

Servius  Heiner  | 178 comments It's one of many I've fabricated recently... but that is the one I'm stuck on... my biggest dislike of it; is that it hits too close to 'Harry Potter' too Horcrux.

message 7: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 3 comments It's similar to the 'Gentleman Bastard' sequence as well I thought. Well worth a read if you haven't already. Locke only survives because no-one knows his name, which means magic has less power over him...

message 8: by thistlepong, Master Namer (new)

thistlepong | 340 comments Mod
Servius Heiner wrote: "It's one of many I've fabricated recently... but that is the one I'm stuck on... my biggest dislike of it; is that it hits too close to 'Harry Potter' too Horcrux."

I wouldn't dismiss a possibility 'cause it's too much like Harry Potter. Especially in a really talented boy wizard at wizard school with a triumvirate of light/dark/red friends... That's superficial though.

The chest is a device as much as a part of the story and it's got more than a little in common with Moody's chest. In Rowling it's got seven parts and it's focused on in the middle book in a seven part series. In Rothfuss it's thrice-locked and focused on in the middle book of a three part series.

They mark the structure of both works. If Kvothe opens it at the end. If there's something or someone in it. Then there's more than a horcrux similarity there.