Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for Nomination for Dysfunctional Families Poll

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We need nominations for the Dysfunctional Families poll. Let us know what book you are suggesting.

Rules
* can't nominate your own book
* only one nomination per person
* first 6-8 books will be chosen
* need to tell us why you are suggesting this book
* be respectful of other people's choices

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I haven't nominated something in a while so I'm going to nominate Dirt by David Vann because it is wonderfully disturbing and will make for an interesting book to discuss.

message 3: by Mish (new)

Mish | 92 comments Michael wrote: "I haven't nominated something in a while so I'm going to nominate Dirt by David Vann because it is wonderfully disturbing and will make for an interesting book to discuss."

Great choice Michael.

another wonderfully disturbing book is The Slap

It's a book I read a few years ago and is one of my favourites. Wouldn't love to read again with a group

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 86 comments I nominate The Sound and the Fury which is about the disintegration of the Compson family.

message 5: by Pip (new)

Pip You don't get much more dysfunctional than Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens. I've read it recently and it's one of his best. Quite a chunkster though....

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:50AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) I'd like to nominate The Bone People by Keri Hulme because apart from matching the theme it is a book quiet unlike anything I had ever read before. It is a very raw and brutal yet strangely beautiful book, that I would love to read with a group again.

In case you trust literary awards (I often don't): it won the Man Booker Prize (1985), the New Zealand Post Book Award (1984), and the Pegasus Prize for Literature (1985)

message 7: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

So far
Dirt
The Slap
The Sound and the Fury
To the Lighthouse
Dombey and Son
The Bone People

Would like one or two more and then we will close the nominations

message 8: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Nominate The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.
Dysfunctional toxic parents "raising" children.

message 9: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) I nominate The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. Irving's fifth novel. Dysfunctional family moving along in the hotel business from New Hampshire to Vienna. Family copes with rape, death of a parent and a sibling, incest, suicide, gender choice.

message 10: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Excellent list, we have enough for a poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.