The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Novel with a black man as main character (in 3rd person), written by a white male.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Tusa I'm wondering what readers might think if they came across a novel by a white male writer that was about a biracial family (with a main character who is black). Would his fact affect whether or not you'd purchase the book? Would you be fine with it since the book is written is third person? Interested in people's opinions. Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 107 comments Chris...absolutely. I've read male authors with female protaganists and vice versa. Authors often transcend race, sex, religion, ethnicity..
I think the most important thing is that the character is believable...it shouldn't matter who wrotes it.

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10088 comments Mod
Chris, this does not belong in the Author/Reader Discussion folder. That folder is expressly for books that we are reading as a group with an author I have invited in for a discussion.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the folders and how they are used within the group.

I have placed this under Book Related Banter because of its content.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 107 comments wrote it...sorry

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Tusa Sorry, Lori. I was under the impression I had posted the question under Book Related Banter.

message 6: by John (new)

John (johnred) I would definitely be fine with it. Like Scott says, as long as the character is well written it shouldn't matter.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman immediately comes to mind as fitting this category.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 293 comments I agree with Scott and John. Another example is the Alex Cross series by James Patterson and to add the male/female switch to the mix: the Benjamin January series by Barbara Hambly.

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 193 comments When I read the first Alex Cross novel, I wasn't aware that Patterson was white.