Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Family trees for characters

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 31 comments I was hoping to make some family trees for my characters so that I can keep tract of them easier. Does anyone know of the best way to do this and if its possible to do it on a computer or iPad? I'd rather have it digitally than have to worry too much about spacing on paper. I've seen the apps for finding your ancestors but I want to put together, and have access to offline, many fictional family trees. A way to link trees would also be useful as some of the characters have complicated familial relationships. Any help would be much appreciated.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I don't know of an easy way to do it but I think its a really good idea. Never thought of such a thing. Best luck to you!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 31 comments If I find a way somewhere else I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to do it too.

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 144 comments My books have very complex relationships too; as with any monarchy, everyone is related to everyone else.

There are geneology templates, but they only work with real world times/places. Not helpful for tracking nobles and royals in another galaxy.

I had to use a notebook. Yes, it's messy, but doable.

Here's the page where I publish a little of that http://www.peersofbeinan.com/Princess.... maybe that will help

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 182 comments Microsoft Word or Powerpoint (I forget which) has a simple graphics tool to make 'organograms', used for setting out team structures, etc. It's basically a lot of text boxes you can link together with arrows. It looks pretty much like a family tree.

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 144 comments tried it and found it confusing.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 144 comments What is a Venn Diagram?

message 8: by Pemry (new)

Pemry Janes | 9 comments A Venn Diagram are overlapping circles. For example, you have one circle that says birds and one circle that says flying animals.

These two will overlap for the most part because most birds fly. But there are birds that don't fly and flying animals that aren't birds so the circles aren't on top of each other.