Fight Club Fight Club question

"Look up into the stars and you're gone"
Ema Fortunova Ema Fortunova Sep 01, 2013 12:46PM
So I just finished reading the novel and I notice that this quote "Look up into the stars and you're gone" reappears in the text multiple times. However, I fail to fully understand what I means.

I felt like the reader is being told that if you dream of material possessions you are dead inside OR that hoping is useless and you are just deceiving yourself.

I'm curious: what is your interpretation? Am I misunderstanding/missing some greater idea here?

I believe, you (Ema) got it alright. I mean, the whole point of the book was that and what else it could possible mean. Right?

And Ray, you too to made a good point about everything being falling apart despite people's disillusioning habit of romantic fantasy about everything.

And the quote was, Nothing is static. Everything is falling apart.

One of Tyler's main sticking points was "it is not enough to be numbered with the grains of sand on the beach and the stars in the sky."

This novel is so incredibly dense with overlapping themes and metaphors and symbolism and so on, that it's easy to get what the quote means; it's more difficult to dig to the depth of it in any eloquent fashion.

[paraphrasing]
Keep in mind that if you're a male in America, our father is our model for God (spoken in a way that suggests that he doesn't believe in God any more than he believes in his father). If your father bails, or dies, what does that say about god?

That's why he's disgusted by blending in just as much as every other grain in the sand, every other star in the sky, whom God is supposed to love all equally... How could we ever get his attention? How could we ever matter??

To not matter is oblivion. That's the true death. Once you stop breathing and they put you underground, it's like you never even existed--"on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" But maybe, if you could make god angry enough to at least be noticed, maybe then, at least we can be remembered, and in that way, we'll live forever

Looking up at the stars is to look up at a symbol of hopelessness... and "losing all hope was freedom"
And in that One Moment of hopelessness and freedom, where you let go of all your material and non-material possessions (you are not your job. you are not your money. you are not your problems. you are not your name...), you just might indulge in a moment of true perfection.

"What Tyler had created was the shadow of a giant hand. Only now the fingers were Nosferatu-long and the thumb was too short, but he said how at exactly four-thirty the hand was perfect. The giant shadow hand was perfect for one minute, and for one perfect minute Tyler had sat in the palm of a perfection he'd created himself.

One minute was enough, Tyler said, a person had to work hard for it, but a minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."