Outlander Series discussion

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
This topic is about Dragonfly in Amber
miscellaneous > Irritated w/ Claire (USE SPOILER TAGS FOR CONVOS BEYOND DIA!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments I'm loving the series so far. I'm currently on Dragonfly in Amber. I'm on the scene where Jamie wants to go to the Inn and wait on Randall to be released. I thought it was very inconsiderate of Claire to ask Jamie to not kill Randall just yet. What that horrible man put him through, I would have killed him myself if I were Claire. I understand why she wanted to save Frank but what poor Jamie had to endure would have overridden any thoughts of saving anyone except for Jamie's honor, manhood and pride. Claire knew how much Jamie suffered, heard his cries and helped chase away his demons. What are your thoughts??? I'm not done yet but this got my blood boiling.

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Sigh, Gertt I know you are right but my heart was breaking for Jamie. I know that it'll mess up the future but ugh, I wanted some retribution. Obviously if history were in my hands, things would be quite different, lol.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 24 comments Kiesha, trust me, she goes on to irritate even more than that! I wanted to choke her a few times in Voyager! Gaah! I feel like she's so unreasonable sometimes!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments gertt wrote: "Keep reading....trust Ms Gabaldon, the story is wonderful...full of ups and downs, heartaches and triumphs, just like real life."

Oh believe me I will. I'm hooked now and could not stop if I wanted to. I'm hooked and of course in love w/ Jamie ♥

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Kiesha, trust me, she goes on to irritate even more than that! I wanted to choke her a few times in Voyager! Gaah! I feel like she's so unreasonable sometimes!"

LOL :) I'm sure I'll be posting again once I get to Voyager. Despite my initial irritation she's still loveable though. And waiting does have its perks haha.

Kate (kstatz) | 4 comments Kiesha, I'm re-reading and at this same point in Dragonfly too. I don't remember this part bothering me before but I feel the same as you now. I know I will like Claire again but right now it's hard for me to understand how she does not support his most deep feelings now. But like others have said here, DG writes with "ups and downs" and that makes it so much fun to read. I will love Claire again but not today.

Kate (kstatz) | 4 comments gertt wrote: "If Randall died childless, Frank would never have been born, Clair could not have married him, gone to Scotland with him after the war, and traveled through the stones at the exact time that she wo..."
This makes total sense, thank you for pointing it out. Guess we just feel for Jamie.

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments Claire does pull some really stupid shite in Voyager...but this series is absolutely incredible. 1-3 were my favorite books in the series. :) I bawled during DIA and Voyager.

message 9: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I was angry with Claire, but it wasn't for that reason. It's something that happens afterwards.

In that moment, Claire was thinking what's more important Frank's life or Jamie's honor/revenge. Jamie was absolutely in his right to want his revenge on BJR. But for Claire, whether we liked him or not, Frank had been her husband. Did she love him like she loves Jamie, no, but she did love him. He was important to her. If it was Franks life or Jamie's life, it's no contest. But to sacrifice Frank for Jamie's revenge, I can understand her instinct to protect him as much as she can. And thats not even taking the butterfly effect into account.

message 10: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Wendy --
Agree with you, totally. I, too, wished that he had killed Randall, but when lookig at the larger picture, too much history would have been altered.

message 11: by Dolly (last edited Sep 02, 2013 12:10PM) (new) - added it

Dolly Sullivan (dollymamma) | 31 comments That and all the future story lines involving Randall!!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments gertt wrote: "Kiesha wrote: "Oh believe me I will. I'm hooked now and could not stop if I wanted to. I'm hooked and of course in love w/ Jamie ♥ ..."

We're all in love with Jamie...and he only gets better!"

One of the things I love about him is the constant blushes and signs of embarrassment. He appears to be so innocent at times. I'm in love with his personality and him of course.

Marjorie | 19 comments Oh Gertt, your correct!! I don't know the ages on here, but has any of you ever seen Magnificent Obsession with Rock Hudson? That is the kind of love between Jamie & Claire. Old movie, but the love of a life time. Have patience's with Claire, her love for Jamie, is a magnificent obsession.

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Wahhhh Jamie just sent Claire back through the stones. I'm heartbroken! I have 2.5 hours left. I was going to move on to the new Julie Garwood audiobook and Michele Sinclair then go back to Voyager but I won't be able to hold off. I'm obsessed and have to find out what happens to my Jamie.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

There was no way I could stop after each book. The split second I read the last word I ordered the next book on Kindle. I then started re-reading the entire series the second I finished book 7. I can't get enough of these characters. I am about to finish Voyager for the second time. It is SO good! Enjoy!

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments Oh, I CRIED when Jamie sent Claire back. That whole scene was just so heartbreaking. Kiesha, are you going to go right on into Voyager!? Another tearjerker!

I took a break after Drums of Autumn, and a BIG break after The Fiery Cross. To me, the Fiery Cross dragged on and on and on. But I flew through a Breath of Snow and Ashes and Echo...I can't wait until the next book comes out.

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Yes, im going right into Voyager! I can't keep myself. Claire outs discussing Gellis with Roger. Please tell me Roger stays in the story? Fergus too?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, they both are in the story. As you continue to read, Roger plays a HUGE role in the upcoming books.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

You will love Voyager. SO much happens, including lots of high sea adventure!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Yessss I'm going right into Voyager!. I can't help it. Claire is talking to Roger now about Gillis. Please tell me Roger travels back with Claire and Brianna? Hope my buddy Fergus is ok too!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments oops sorry about the double posts, I didn't think my other went through

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments I can't wait. Be prepared ladies, ill be wearing you all out with my excitement lol

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't mind at all! I'm so addicted to these books that I ordered Claire's wedding ring and proudly wear it! I love to see others excited about these books like I am. I keep trying to get my friends to read them and no luck so far. It's nice to have someplace to share the exuberance.

Melissa Odo | 2 comments Jamie marries laoghaire??????? OMG OMG OMG OMG

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops...I probably shouldn't have typed that! Sorry.... Melissa, how far have you gotten in the series?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Kiehsa, I really like Fergus' character in Voyager. I bet you do too.

Melissa Odo | 2 comments Haha I'm sorry too I know you wrote spoiler and I wasn't going to read on but I saw the words Jamie, laoghaire and marries and I was like OMG, so I just had to read it.

I'm on dragonfly in amber, I'm about to start the chapter on l'hospital des anges, loadssssss to go!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

If this is your first read, I am so jealous! I just discovered the series in April, read it through without stopping and then immediately started reading it again as soon as I finished book 7. I'm now reading Voyager for the second time. I am getting so much more out of the books the second time and am amazed by the little details I missed the first time through in my haste to find out what was going to happen next. This is truly the most fun I have ever had with books. Enjoy (and I'll try not to spoil anything else for you)! :-)

message 29: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments That episode between Claire and Jamie about Frank and BJR... it's so RICH! You're so torn between what you want to happen and why - all part of the genius of Diana G.

I think it's the first time that we've really seen how Claire feels about Frank - how torn she is about her decision to stay with Jamie. Yes, we got some of that in book 1, but it was THIS PART that really had me understanding that life-long struggle of Claire's - her desire to ensure that Frank lived.

And the way that whole thing entwines and entangles and informs so much of Claire's and Jamie's relationship and even into the future... wow.

But yeah, I was livid with Claire over some of the things she did to ensure what SHE thought was right, without really trusting Jamie or giving him the chance to fully explain himself. Perhaps because she knew him so well, she expected Jamie to handle it all without thinking about the true cost to him.

message 30: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's the part that made me angry too, your last paragraph. I just didn't post it because I knew that the person who asked the question wasn't there yet.

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments from Joanna

I agree about Jamie. I love him so much more because of his flaws. He can't wink, he's tone deaf, he gets shocked and embarrassed easily, especially by things Claire says, etc, but he's also everything you'd want in a man--passionate, intelligent, loyal (to a fault), understands forgiveness, able to protect those he loves, well spoken, still has a sense of innocence about him despite his criminal activities... If he didn't have those little flaws, he'd be boring. Who wants perfect?

As for Claire, there are times I too want to wring her neck. (view spoiler) There are other times you just want to tell Claire to chill out, but it makes for a more realistic relationship since things aren't always smooth sailing.

I couldn't love this story more! I can't wait to read more about Jamie and Claire come March!

message 32: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Joanna - while its a bit too late for some ppl righ tnow - I deleted your post and moved it below hiding the major spoiler for the next book in the series

message 33: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Mod Hat is on - please limit your comments right now to Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber so as not to spoiler other books for new readers

message 34: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments Wendy F wrote: "That's the part that made me angry too, your last paragraph. I just didn't post it because I knew that the person who asked the question wasn't there yet."

Did I give too much away? Do I need spoiler tags? I was trying to be careful, but still get my point across.

message 35: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i think you are ok Lori, it was the major one for Voyager that I was referring to

message 36: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yeah, no Lori, you're totally fine. I just posted right after she did so she hadn't gotten to that. I'm positive she has by now. :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry about the spoiler. I just saw that the subject was "Irritated w/ Claire" and I didn't realize it was specific to the first two books. She irritates me much more later on!

message 38: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Hahaha, honestly except for the scene when she wouldn't let Jamie explain in DIA, I can't think of other times when she made me irritated.

It's a good rule of thumb to use spoiler tags ALL the time, unless the subject line specifies that spoilers are okay across the board.

The person who started this thread was only about halfway through DIA so she has no idea what's coming further down the road.

to everyone, if you're post contains something that happens AFTER Dragonfly in Amber, it should absolutely be in spoiler tags. Let's protect new readers from the great twists to come!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Spoilers for anyone whose not in Voyager.......
I'm in Voyager and Jamie just got flogged again, sigh. I hate floggings. I'm ready for him and Claire to be reunited! I'm antsy!

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Chapter 14, Geneva! Ugh. Please tell me they reunite soon?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Kiesha, you are going to love Voyager! It is so much fun--although it does make your emotions topsy turvy a few times! I just finished reading it for the second time.

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Oh Joanna, I know you're right. I'm loving it now I'm just ready for them to reunite. I was SHOCKED by John Greys uhh being in love with Jamie. Wth, poor guy is wanted by men and women alike. lol

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, can you really blame anyone for wanting Jamie?! :-)

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Bwahaha, no but I want to say "HANDS OFF HE'S MINE."

message 45: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments ok - who here DOES NOT know how to do spoiler tags? (and I don't mean just typing spoiler)...

here's how...

<$poiler> (beginning) and < / $poiler> (end) - change the $ to an s, and remove extra spaces on either side of the /

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments Dee wrote: "ok - who here DOES NOT know how to do spoiler tags? (and I don't mean just typing spoiler)...

here's how...

(beginning) and (end) - change the $ to an s, and remove extra spaces on either side ..."

Hi Dee, I did not know how to do them but appreciate you posting. Can I also do this on mobile?

Kiesha (thejedigoddess) | 30 comments if the tital has "may contain spoilers" , are we still required to put spoiler tags on each post?

message 48: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments No, BUT, be warned that they could be spoilers for the entire series. It would be a free for all, and most of us have read the entire series.

message 49: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1239 comments You can spoiler tag on mobil phones...

Also, remember we have a "How To" thread that outlines just how to spoiler tag and anything else you may want to know.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 50: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments gertt wrote: "If you don't want to know what's happened in a book, then you shouldn't access the discussion group. That's why I stay away from the discussions for Written in my own Heart's Blood....I don't want to know what anyone thinks or has heard until I read the book myself. "

I also try to stay away from discussions, but it's also exciting when you love a book to go in and discuss with other people who love the book. That's what brings us all together, both new readers and long time lovers.

Spoiler tags aren't too much to ask, for the integrity of our newer members who want to come in and share the excitement.

« previous 1