Around the World in 80 Books discussion

The Name of the Rose
This topic is about The Name of the Rose
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for The Name of the Rose

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Aug 01, 2020 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 12904 comments Start discussion here for The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

About the Book

The year is 1327. Benedictines in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns detective. His tools are the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, the empirical insights of Roger Bacon—all sharpened to a glistening edge by wry humor and a ferocious curiosity. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey, where “the most interesting things happen at night.”

About the Author

Umberto Eco was an Italian writer of fiction, essays, academic texts, and children's books. A professor of semiotics at the University of Bologna, Eco’s brilliant fiction is known for its playful use of language and symbols, its astonishing array of allusions and references, and clever use of puzzles and narrative inventions. His perceptive essays on modern culture are filled with a delightful sense of humor and irony, and his ideas on semiotics, interpretation, and aesthetics have established his reputation as one of academia’s foremost thinkers.

Renate I read this a while ago. It is now on the list of books I want to read again. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction and Eco is brilliant in combining this with a mystery. This is one of those books that causes sleepless nights because you just can't put it down. Absolutely loved this book!

I can also recommend the film. This is one of the few cases in which I loved both the novel and the film (I know these two totally different media types should not be compared so easily, but I just can't help it.)

message 3: by Anoop (last edited Sep 08, 2013 02:13AM) (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) | 8 comments I am currently reading this!!

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 12904 comments Renate wrote: "I read this a while ago. It is now on the list of books I want to read again. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction and Eco is brilliant in combining this with a mystery. This is one of those books ..."

I had no idea it had been made into a film. I will definitely have to watch the film after I finish reading the book.

message 5: by Kai (last edited Sep 18, 2013 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Coates (southernbohemian) I finished the first part (day) and was surprised about how much I liked it, despite all of the Latin (which I'm being lazy and just skipping over instead of looking it up). I might need to keep a separate tally of the characters, and I know little about the history of that period or semiotics, but so far I feel confused in a good, mysterious way.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Kai wrote: "I finished the first part (day) and was surprised about how much I liked it, despite all of the Latin (which I'm being lazy and just skipping over instead of looking it up). I might need to keep a..."

Looking it up? Are there people doing that?? I can't imagine doing that...

Kay Kay | 21 comments Well, I am a little behind about these reading lists. But I did finish this one, Yay! I am now curious about the movie. I thought the book was just OK. But maybe I will give the movie my time. PS, I did not look up any of the languages, and I get annoyed when the translation is not included.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 101 comments I still can't quite decide what I think. I understood most of the biblical references, although I'm a little fuzzy on some of the post-scriptural Saints, so I didn't catch all those nuances. I felt like when the story actually moved toward the conclusion of the deaths, it was fast-paced and very interesting, like any current murder mystery, but when it sidelined into long philosophy sections, it seemed to lose itself. Yet, the philosophy and debates about it seemed to be so essential to the outcome of the story.

The ending, with the (view spoiler) hearkened very much to the gothic novels and dark secrets in old manors (Jane Eyre, anyone?). But I think Eco meant it more as a kind of purging, perhaps? Like expunging all evil and heretical ideas? Or was it more meaningful of the dangers of collecting and hiding knowledge?

And what did you think of William? At times, he seemed gentle, kind, and a good teacher, and others, he seemed harsh, rude, and careless. He even admits he was blundering along the whole time, that he came to the conclusion accidentally, through false assumptions. And Adso: does he learn anything from all this? Or does his (view spoiler) indicate his own hiding of knowledge, dwelling in the past?

I did enjoy when they finally figured out the way into the secret room, but a lot of the explanation left me going "huh? Who cares?"

Regardless, (view spoiler)

message 9: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 12904 comments Bumping to the top

Jovan (iovan) | 163 comments Enjoy the book, I have read it around New Year and it is really really good.

message 11: by David (new)

David Canford | 6 comments That's a blast from the past! I remember reading it in the 80s and enjoying its originality. From what I recall the movie (Sean Connery and Christian Slater?) was pretty good too

Jovan (iovan) | 163 comments Yap young Slater and Connery for all seasons

message 13: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 1 comments This is the first book I read with this group, I normally don't read this type of genre. I had to read the intro twice to get used to the writing. Um, it might take me a while to finish this one. But it is a great book for discussion. Discussed the intro with my daughter for entire 30 minutes.

Question (view spoiler)

lanlynk | 3 comments I read this book in 2018 and enjoyed it. Gave it 4/5 stars. After reading the book, I also tracked down the old movie (1986, Sean Connery) and watched it. Both book and movie were atmospheric, with an intricate plot that held my attention. Some very dramatic scenes!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Name of the Rose (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Umberto Eco (other topics)