Literary Horror discussion

M.R. James
This topic is about M.R. James
Authors > M.R. James

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments M.R. James the master of the classic ghost story.

message 2: by Canavan (new)

Canavan I don't live anywhere near London, but the following announcement might be of interest to Jamesian enthusiasts who do. Kinda short notice, but there will be a dramatization of James' story "The Mezzotint" at Omnibus (Clapham Common, London) this Friday, 13 December at 7:30 pm. More information here.

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments It's too long a drive for me, but I wish I could go.

message 4: by Canavan (new)

Canavan An article of possible interest on James entitled "How M. R. James’s ghost stories became a Christmas institution" appeared last month (19 December) in the New Statesman and can be read on-line here.

message 5: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 242 comments I've not much to add, really, other than James is the master of the short ghost story.

message 6: by Uncle (new)

Uncle I adore M.R. James. I have a secret Hallowe'en ritual of reading his story "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" every Hallowe'en.

message 7: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 242 comments Uncle wrote: "I adore M.R. James. I have a secret Hallowe'en ritual of reading his story "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" every Hallowe'en."

That's a suitably scary way to spend Halloween.

message 8: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments J.S. wrote: "Uncle wrote: "I adore M.R. James. I have a secret Hallowe'en ritual of reading his story "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" every Hallowe'en."

That's a suitably scary way to spend Halloween."

Read it for Walpurgisnacht as well!

message 9: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I love M.R. James!! there is a podcast for him as well. they discuss his stories. it's called a podcast for the curious and is one of my favorites. this is how I discovered him, actually. and the first episode I listened to was the ash tree. oh sweet baby jesus!!!! I was hooked after that. I did not like what came out of the tree at all but it's a great story.

message 10: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 242 comments Latasha wrote: "I love M.R. James!! there is a podcast for him as well. they discuss his stories. it's called a podcast for the curious and is one of my favorites. this is how I discovered him, actually. and the f..."

Halloween will be with us soon. Ample opportunity to indulge you love of M.R. James.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) yes it is! :)

message 12: by Char (new)

Char I loved The Ash Tree! I read two of his ghost story collections last year, if I remember correctly. I enjoyed them quite a bit.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) Awesome!

message 14: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) and I really, really liked The Mezzotint. The Mezzotint oh wow, that was such a good, creepy story!!!

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 71 comments One of my next pieces on my Hundred Year Old Horror will be about M.R James. I came across the name and found that not only is he fitting but I wish I'd come across him sooner.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mezzotint (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

M.R. James (other topics)