Multiculturalism in YA,Fantasy, Sci FI,Paranormal and fun books ;p discussion

Solidarityforwhitewomen# confusion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not person with huge knowledge between hashtags and trending topics. I'm curious what this subject actually stood for. I use twitter but I still don't understand it 100%.

What started this conversation? Is it supposed to pit white feminists against other ones?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Heffner | 64 comments I had no idea, so I looked it up. It looks like it was created by Twitter blogger Mikki Kendell in response to racist sentiments apparent in feminism that consciously/unconsciously exclude POC. According to the article:

"After now-retired male feminist, Hugo Schwyzer, admitted to being 'awful' to women of color because they 'got in the way,' a Twitter hashtag has been created to criticize the lack of nonwhite women in academic debates related to female issues.

"The hashtag #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen, created on Monday by blogger Mikki Kendall, is now being used by thousands of Twitter users who feel ethnic minorities are being excluded from mainstream feminism.

Rania Khalek, a journalist from Virginia, tweeted: '#SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen when convos about gender pay gap ignore that white women earn higher wages than black, Latino and Native men.'"

Article Link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/art...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh wow. Thanks heather :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks heather I was a little confused about that too!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Heffner | 64 comments np, great question--when it comes to twitter, I'm still (reluctantly) learning the ropes.