Speaker Geeks! discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Som (new)

Som 'Windows' for me for me; because they are not rocket science like Macs. Some would say it's safe and fast; well upgrade your PC and it'll be cheaper, safer and faster. And way easier!

message 2: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments Yup ^^

My P.C was built by me. It runs perfect. When I have more money I will upgrade it by changing the mother board and processor. Eventually leading to a new graphics card. My P.C in total was a third of a mac around the equivalent capabilities.

Macs also will take every penny left in your wallet. With very high costing repairs. With my P.C I can play any game. On high Graphics which for macs is impossible as they can barley play any game. This is because the game companies would have to pay to use the apple operating system (another way to steal money. Its the lightning pin all over again).

message 3: by Christine, I pop like bubble wrap. (new)

Christine | 364 comments Mod
I prefer Macs for a lot of reasons, but I especially like how iTunes is integrated into the computer, which makes it a lot easier when setting up or doing things with your iOS device.

message 4: by Billy (new)

Billy | 195 comments Aight here's my take.

Lets compare everything from the newest version of Windows to the newest version of OSX. Unless you are computer illiterate and can't function something you didn't grow up with, using either won't be a problem.

Not to mention, if all you do is browse the web, you shouldn't even have an opinion because there is no difference. Hope we have that settled.

So on the software side, we have Windows 8 vs Mountain Lion.

User Interface: Windows 8 uses a hybrid touch screen and desktop interface. The Metro UI is a nice touch, but Microsoft doesn't use it around the whole OS. Go to the desktop mode and you have Windows 7 with minimal changes. Why can't Windows choose 1 interface? Its a mess in Windows 8.

Mountain Lion is a really nice operating system, Apple knows how to design things. You will not find confusion in the interface because everything pretty much uses the same UI. It has a silver, glossy look, that doesn't really get in the way.

But this is really opinion, I prefer Mountain Lion's look. Its not trying to be something its not.

Bundled programs: On a PC you get Internet Explorer (woo ho!) for web browsing, which sucks. Crashes, which is a common theme on a lot of Windows machines. And do you guys really use Windows Media Player for your music? And Windows Movie Maker? Thats a joke.

On a Mac you get Safari, which is a perfectly stable browser which works well with the hardware. Also, iTunes, which is a much beefier program than Windows Media Player. You also get iMovie, which is a really good video editor. Other apps include iMessage to message people with iPhones, iPads, or Macs. Garage band? No Windows alternative there.

Usability: Windows is fairly easy to use, and if you can use Windows you won't really have a problem using a Mac. Things are pretty similar. If you grew up with one, you will prefer that one. However lets go deeper.

On a Mac you can develop applications for iOS, Android, Flash, ect. The big thing here is iOS. If you want to develop applications, theres no way you can make an iOS app using Windows. You are SOL. And if you are making apps you will make much more money from iOS.

Not to mention the security side...OSX is much more secure than Windows. OSX runs over the Unix kernal which is so much more secure than Windows. Not even funny. You will have to get anti-virus software on your PC if you want to avoid them...and there goes a few hundred dollars. So ya, a Mac is safer. You will never have to worry about a virus.

And with Unix you get the Linux Command line too, Terminal. Arguably is alot better than Window's version. Of course this won't matter to most people unless you use a computer for more than the web.

Hardware: 2 approaches to this. If you are getting prebuilt hardware from the manufacturer, Macs are much better built. Materials, screens, keyboard....the trackpad on an Apple laptop is miles ahead of any other. I dare you to find a decent trackpad on a Windows PC compared to a Macbook. You won't. Gestures, scrolling, zooming, which OSX just takes advantage of. If you find an "ultrabook" (a Macbook Air competitor), it will be pretty much the same price as a Macbook Air. So your over-priced conspiracy goes out the window.

The next approach is building your own. You can build, upgrade, and do anything to a Windows PC. However do you not realize you can build a Hackintosh just as easily? Your $1000 PC build will have the same amount of power as a $1000 Hackintosh build.

Gaming: If you want to game, there are just more PC games out there. Developers don't create Mac games because there are less users, so it wouldn't make sense. But that doesn't mean you can't game with a Mac. A Hacksintosh will be able to dual-boot Windows, meaning you Mac can game just as well. Many people have a Hackintosh for OSX, and switch over to Windows to game.

Dual booting: Heres the kicker. Mac hardware is arguably the best hardware out there. And you can natively run Windows on it. WINDOWS RUNS BETTER ON MACS THAN MOST PCS. That trackpad on a Macbook works on Windows better than a PC laptop will. Not to mention on a Mac, you can triple-boot OSX, Windows, and Linux. Best of all 3 worlds on one machine, its bliss for somebody who loves computers. You can only do this natively on a Mac.

So the bottom line, I just prefer Macs. Not only is the operating system more stable and reliable, but the whole OS isn't a mess compared to Windows. I can develop iOS apps You can build your own Mac (Hackintosh), and do everything you can possibly want from a computer. Not to mention, if you own an iPhone, things are even more seamless. I'm willing to bet very few of you own a Windows phone.

So, those of you who have used both (not just visit to the Apple store) and have a preference...why?

message 5: by Som (new)

Som @Billy
Windows 8 is worthless, it's better to use windows 7 instead. Windows and its components are cheaper, durable, that seals the deal for me. Easy usage is a plus! Internet Explorer can be replaced with chrome/firefox/comodo dragon etc. For multimedia: I use VLC, KMPlayer for movies; Winamp for music and Sony Vegas for video editing, Photoscape, photoshop for photo editing.
I have two ios devices, iPad2 and iPod 4th gen. iTunes has no issues while running on windows. For easier transfers you can use iFunbox too. jailbreak is even easier. But you pointed that right, Macs are more secured and it's easier to make your own apps. You can make apps in windows too, reckon there are several software for that which you can use using Mac OS X in a VirtualBox. It's pretty nifty! For security I use ESET which is cheap and malwareBytes (even cheaper). And there are many people who prefer playing games on PC; wonder how many create their own apps!

@Lia
I don't play on PCs though, but I enjoyed Dead Space 3 immensely on PS3. A complicated/complex story, which I dislike in most games, but its atmosphere, weapons and graphics just made my days! Poor Issac Clarke, too much violence for an engineer! lol

message 6: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments Lia wrote: "Evan wrote: "Yup ^^

My P.C was built by me. It runs perfect. When I have more money I will upgrade it by changing the mother board and processor. Eventually leading to a new graphics card. My P.C ..."

Well I built it so it doesn't have a make but my graphics card is a Sapphire 7770 at the moment but if I want to get a better one I will most likely have to get a new motherboard. But that is out of my budget so I will make do.

message 7: by Billy (new)

Billy | 195 comments Som wrote: "@Billy
Windows 8 is worthless, it's better to use windows 7 instead. Windows and its components are cheaper, durable, that seals the deal for me. Easy usage is a plus! Internet Explorer can be repl..."

Nail on the head, Windows components are cheaper, which is why they break easily.

It would be really hard to develop ios apps in an OSX virtual machine. Not to mention unpractical. You would be running iOS inside of OSX inside of Windows, and you would need to pretty much dedicate all your RAM to OSX to get anything done in the first place. It would make more sense to have a Mac, and boot up to Windows natively instead of getting by with Virtual Box.

And sure theres alternate apps, VLC and Photoshop will work on a Mac too. I was just talking about Microsoft's default programs.

message 8: by Xdyj (last edited Sep 07, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments I switched from Windows XP to OSX about two years ago & liked it so far. At least I don't need to care about anti-virus software anymore. I think some possible drawbacks of OS X are that it can only legally run on Apple hardware which tend to be expensive, & also some apps like games may only support Windows. However I'm not really a gamer & most apps I used on WinXP (e.g. OpenOffice, vlc for movie/video, gimp for photo editing, gcc, Latex, scilab for simple numerics, Firefox for browsing) have Mac versions. Another nice feature about mac is that it has much better support of pdf format so you do not need to download additional apps to convert stuff to pdf. OTOH I don't quite see the advantage of os x over major linux distros like Debian or Ubuntu except for maybe being more popular.

message 9: by Billy (new)

Billy | 195 comments Xdyj wrote: "I switched from Windows XP to OSX about two years ago & liked it so far. At least I don't need to care about anti-virus software anymore. I think some possible drawbacks of OS X are that it can onl..."

The problem with the Linux is that programs aren't really made for it, and the alternatives aren't really that great. Ubuntu is awesome, I am actually dual booting it right now. However there is no Photoshop, and Gimp isn't really a good alternative. OSX has most of the advantages Linux has, plus more.

message 10: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, Lend me your ears! (last edited Sep 30, 2013 05:10PM) (new)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 91 comments Mod
Billy wrote: "Aight here's my take.

Lets compare everything from the newest version of Windows to the newest version of OSX. Unless you are computer illiterate and can't function something you didn't grow up wi..."

*slow clap* Beautifully stated.