Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls discussion

Update;

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amna I read half way through the book and so far I don't find it amusing or amazing yet.

Mary Smith The bits about David's father and the swim team which I think is earlier in the book I found to be very different in content than most of his writing. I wanted to pop the old man.
But don't give up. There were many many stories that made me laugh out loud.

Lory Sakay I was looking forward to reading this book... Then disappointed with it. I believe there was only one chapter that made me lol. I didn't find his writing clever or humorous but kept saying, "maybe the next chapter will be good?", only to be let down again.

Nichola St. Anthony It's funny as hell but in a neurotic, Woody Allen kind of way like Pardon my Enthusiasm.

Martha He's a love it or hate it kind of author for me. I usually like his stories in the New Yorker. I did not care for this book at all.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know which way to take Sedaris, perhaps he's a snob or maybe he's not.

Holly Fairall (birdbrainbooks) I really did enjoy it but it definitely had a different mood than his other books. You can tell he is older, wiser, and views life more seriously here. But I do think it's still worth the read especially for true fans--fans will love it still.

Kevin It almost seemed to me as if he had run out of interesting material to fill his stories with. I only have When You Are Engulfed in Flames to compare to so far. Hope his other books are better.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a feeling that Sedaris is perhaps too honest.

message 10: by Suge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suge It started out nice but then it kind of flopped. I got bored with it very easy.

message 11: by Suge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suge Kevin wrote: "It almost seemed to me as if he had run out of interesting material to fill his stories with. I only have When You Are Engulfed in Flames to compare to so far. Hope his other books are better."

His older stuff is awesome. His more recent stuff is waning though.

message 12: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita I laughed out loud at his earlier works, but was disappointed in his last two.

Murrill Sometimes he is a bit too "dark" for me. I loved Me Talk Pretty One Day, though.

Allie I loved this book and thought it was the most similar to Me Talk Pretty One Day.