Dust (Silo, #3) Dust discussion

Some questions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicklas (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicklas Karlsson (spoiler alert)

Some questions woken by completing the saga.

So where the nukes going off when they packed the silos just a decoy (and the actual damage done by the nanobots)? Or were there more nukes and the nuclear winter wasn't that bad and stuff cleared out in a few centuries?

What happened with the other silos? Since silo 1 went down there was no one to give instructions how to dig out when the supplies run out, right?

What happened with the religion sect in silo 17? They were left behind (or chose to stay)?

Was it a good idea to leave the storage silo behind and move out (they couldn't possibly move 7 levels of supplies with them)?

Was the "xenon" released with the cleaning a method for "feeding" the cloud around the silos? How could the contain the cloud to a single location? How could there be strong winds in such a small area?

I originally though that the population of one silo (less that 8000 people?) wouldn't be enough genetic variation but some googling corrected that for me ;-)

Any why delay the coming out for so long? Other people would either have died out by then or survived and come out by then, getting a head start? Did the management of silo 1 know the state of the planet outside the cloud?

Enough brainstorming

Christopher Newland Spoilers. You've been warned.

Although I was satisfied with all three books, I also have some issues with plot holes and incidents which were not resolved by the author. However, on the whole, this was good scifi and it was based on a novel idea.

What interested me the most was how Donald, in the end, became exactly the same as the man he came to despise. When he destroyed Silo 1 with the bunker buster he was taking the exact same actions as Thurman, although on a much smaller scale. I love that kind of moral ambiguity in a character; he was entirely too human.

Taken as a whole, the Silo series is an indictment against the weakness and hubris of humanity, all of which are laid out very well. But you can't have weakness without some strengths, and the author does an equally good job of illustrating the values which make the human race noble and decent.

Kathy They seemed pretty through in their planning (though also fallable as we saw). Nanites by their nature must be programmable as we could see with their containment to a dome around the silos creating the illusion of a dead world. What's to say the plan didn't also have radiation clean up nanites to speed up the recovery or that only one nuclear bomb went off and everyone else was killed by the nanos that were seeded around the world in a perceived act of charity.

Half of what they did was illusions designed to contain people who think they understand what is happening.

I think Donald was convinced the plan would be only too successful if Silo 1 was not taken out of the equation.

Diane Any why delay the coming out for so long? Other people would either have died out by then or survived and come out by then, getting a head start? Did the management of silo 1 know the state of the planet outside the cloud?

I think the main purpose for waiting was to see which silo's were morally mature enough to carry on the world. They would breed out the people that were non conformist thinkers with the cleanings. That is why they shut down the silos that continually showed aggression with their up risings. The understood that it was a human cycle to rebel but if it happened too much those silo's genetically inadequate to carry on the world in peace. Now creating peace from violence is a crazy concept. But look at all the religious wars.

Diane Not saying I agree with it but I think that was their twisted reasoning.

message 6: by Empress (last edited May 11, 2014 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Empress Nicklas wrote: "So where the nukes going off when they packed the silos just a decoy (and the actual damage done by the nanobots)? Or were there more nukes and the nuclear winter wasn't that bad and stuff cleared out in a few centuries?"

I think the bombs were an incentive to make the people go into the silos, but I also think they were a way of destroying both humanity and nanobots.

It seems there are two factors when using nukes: If the bombs explode on the ground or above it (and how far above); and the kilotons of the nukes. Also I read somewhere but I have no way of proving that, that radiation doesn't stay for as long as we've been told it does. So I think they knew exactly how long the Earth will take to recover.

Nicklas wrote: "(spoiler alert)
What happened with the other silos? Since silo 1 went down there was no one to give instructions how to dig out when the supplies run out, right?"

Nothing. Their server powers was coming from silo 1, so maybe the servers would dies eventually. There will be no more calls from silo 1 so they will have to adapt their way of living.

There was never going to be instructions for digging out, at least I don't think so. I don't think that one person in silo 1 telling one mayor would convince a whole silo. I think the selective breeding was suppose to lead to a rate of a 100% success. If that had happened before they ran out of supplies my theory is that it would have triggered the destruction of all other silos. Another theory would be that silo 18 reached the 100% chance of survival by surviving. And one does wonder if the computer programs didn't play much bigger part in this than any humans. Was silo 18s survival a mistake or the predicted ending. If it was a mistake what characteristics were they trying to breed out of humanity?

Nicklas wrote: "What happened with the religion sect in silo 17? They were left behind (or chose to stay)?"

Some followed, some stayed.

Nicklas wrote: "Was it a good idea to leave the storage silo behind and move out (they couldn't possibly move 7 levels of supplies with them)?"

Yes, what if other silos get free, they will also need supplies.

Nicklas wrote: " Was the "xenon" released with the cleaning a method for "feeding" the cloud around the silos? How could the contain the cloud to a single location? How could there be strong winds in such a small area?"

I'm not sure what is xenon, but this is how I imagine the containment of the nano-cloud. They are robots, and as all robots they have work-perimeters. Of course they won't stay in one place and will dissipate with the wind and that is one of the reasons they feed those in the air with the cleanings. But maybe they were programed to be active only in radius from a silo's antenna.

Nicklas wrote: "Any why delay the coming out for so long? "

Brainwashing. Literally, all the silos water is induced with the same medication as silo 1. The breathing program. I think they knew that no one else survived. I think they made sure of that.