Malaysian Reads discussion

Discussion on Books > How long does it take you to get into a book?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherryl (new)

Sherryl (salian) | 19 comments It usually takes me at least the first 100 pages before I started getting into a book. I'm usually struggling to get through the first 100 or so pages - but after that, it feels like I finish the rest too fast.

I'm just curious if it's just me or others feel the same.

message 2: by Nabihah (new)

Nabihah Adha | 5 comments from the synopsis but if i find the story boring in the first few chapters it's good bye to the book

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 14 comments Mod
First chapter of the books.. if it doesn't start improving it won't happen if you continuously read it till finish. Just wasting time ;)

message 4: by Kim Arfa (new)

Kim Arfa (kimarfa) | 7 comments I'd say the first 50 pages but if the book is too draggy maybe around 100 pages. and if i still don't like it then I'd just put it down and start on another book ahaha

message 5: by Hajar Y, (new)

Hajar Y, (quillandkindle) | 126 comments Mod
It hugely depending on the type of book I'm reading. If it's a light reading, I usually see whether the first chapter managed to catch my interest or not. I usually make more effort for the other types of books though.

I rarely DNF-ed a book though. I tend to feel committed once I start reading.

message 6: by David (new)

David (aberrant80) | 11 comments Shy wrote: "I rarely DNF-ed a book though. I tend to feel committed once I start reading. "

Same here. Once I start, I feel compelled to finish it. That's why I depend quite a bit on reviews. How soon you "get into" a book depends on the author/book I think. Some authors just take a while to get things rolling.

message 7: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah | 0 comments It's depend on the story line and the reader opinions. Different persons had a different interest. As for me, i would prefer fantasy related story. Once i read it i will read tills the last page. If i fine it is not my taste i most probably stop reading it halfway.

message 8: by Amirul Aiman (new)

Amirul Aiman (forte_amirul) | 1 comments I used to be able to read a book regardless of its genre without any prep mood or settings. Somehow for the past few months I couldn't, I also don't know why lol. Nowadays I do a rough read around 40 pages or so while letting my imagination run wild. If I like what I read, pretty much I'll read through the book.

message 9: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Amirul Aiman wrote: "I used to be able to read a book regardless of its genre without any prep mood or settings. Somehow for the past few months I couldn't, I also don't know why lol. Nowadays I do a rough read around ..."

I just realised that I also have the same problem. What I read depends greatly on my mood. If I found myself holding a YA on my not-so-good day, definitely I wouldn't enjoy it.

But when I looked at that same book again in some other days, whooosh, I would find it so interesting and finish it very fast.

message 10: by Deviki (new)

Deviki | 41 comments It depends on the book, there are some books that I've read that even from the first page itself, I was hooked !!!
But there are also some books even up until the end, I still have the "What is going on !!! what are you trying to say here dammit"
But usually by the first or second chapter