.:.Book Bodega.:. discussion

The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
This topic is about The School for Good and Evil
Book Discussions > Comment As You Read | The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammee (new) - added it

Sammee (chasing_sammee) | 379 comments Mod
Leave your thoughts about The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani , as you are reading, just make sure you say what chapter & page you are on so that there are no spoilers. This way we can discuss as we read without ruining the ending for anyone

message 2: by Kai Hunter (new) - added it

Kai Hunter | 192 comments I ordered this from Amazon yesterday. I know it will be delayed because of the holiday but I really hope it gets here soon!

Lilybeth (_li_) | 335 comments Mod
On page 58.
The little twist was predictable but I enjoyed it anyway. Agatha truly made me laugh with her "diversion".

message 4: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Okay - got the book from the library yesterday and I'm on page 70. I have to admit - I'm pretty bored by it so far. Much as I like fantasy, I've never been big on traditional fairy tales. Maybe that has something to do with it. So far, I'm not finding the characters very compelling - very one dimensional - and I'm not connecting with Sophie or Agatha. (LOL and I despise farts.) Well, will keep reading, but it's going to be a bit of a task.

message 5: by Kai Hunter (new) - added it

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Chapter 9 page 140 I am in a hurry to find out what the School Master's plan is that he is so intent on breaking through the fairy tale stereotypes. I must admit that in my opinion, Sophie is a lost cause. I see so much more in Agatha. The fact that she doesn't want to be good or evil. She just wants to be herself and take Sophie back home.

@ Mia - I don't have a problem with farts just so there is proper ventilation.

message 6: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments On page 304 now. I'm a little more engaged in the book now. I don't see enough character development to believe their friendship, from either girl's perspective. Even for a younger target audience, I expect them to show enough nuance to each character to make it seem more believable. But I'm interested in the School Master's plan...

Diane | 9 comments I am about half way done and so far I am enjoying it. I am amassing my questions. Hopefully, knowing that there will be a second book I will not be left hanging too much.

message 8: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments I finished it and got more engaged as I went along, but still felt like it was just okay. I never got the sense of "good" from Sophie except in the most superficial sense, and I think some of the action scenes lost me. I also wanted a more plausible sense of why agatha remained so invested in sophie. The author just didn't make me feel it. Of course, those of you who know me know that I'm not a fan of fairy tales or action scenes. Maybe the odds were stacked against me when it came to truly liking this book! Maybe I will read the sequel when it comes out, but I was not drawn into this world. For me, the verdict is: meh.

Diane | 9 comments Just finished it yesterday and I have to admit I greatly enjoyed it and the whole family read it Hopefully the sequel will minimally match this book. My son is already excited about seeing the movie but I have such a hard time letting the book go and enjoying the movie for what it is. So we will see.

message 10: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments I wanted to like it so much more than I did. But glad you guys liked it! Now...what did others think?

Lilybeth (_li_) | 335 comments Mod
I didn't finish the book.
I was completely bored.
I read 138 pages and gave up.
I feel really disappointed because I wanted to like it.

message 12: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments I think Diane and her family actually did like it, so it wasn't a total bust!