Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Should i read all the books first or not before watching the movie?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathalie (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nathalie What should i do? Should I first read all the books and then watch the movies, or should I read the first books and the watch the first movie and so on?

I have never read nor watched harry potter btw.

Edit: You guys are not understanding my question. I am not asking whether to read the books first or watch the movies. Of course I know that I need to read the books first. I am asking whether to read ALL 7 books first, and then watch all the movies. Or if I should read the first book watch the movie, read the second book watch the movie and so on.... UNDERSTAND?

Roni I read the books first, because, well there were no HP movies at the time.
I think your experience of the films will be better if you read the books before you see the films.
Since I had read all the books before the films were finished I knew what was going to happen but I also knew all the additional little backstories and details that they were unable to put into the film due to time constraints.
Ultimately it is up to you, but I would recommend books first then movies.
=)

Alexandra I agree. There are a lot of things in the films that don't quite make sense if you have not read the books - if you have, you can enjoy catching the references.

n.b. the films do miss out a lot of what happens in the later books.

Dani Byrne I do recommend that you (always) read the book before seeing any movie, first because as Roni says, you will know all the backstory not in the movie, and second, you get to mutter to yourself about how much better the book was-although in the case of HP, not very much!

Antonina READ! Why is this even a question? Always read first! :)

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Cowan Read a book and watch the movie. Even though I read all the books, I always went back and re-read them to keep things fresh in my mind. Worked great. The movies were amazingly close to the books.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

They leave so many parts out of the movie. To fully appreciate the friendship Harry, Ron and Hermione have you need to read the books. The movies are great, but to really get the most our of your Harry Potter experience you have to read the books. Always read the book before the movie. Always.

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Cowan The essence of the story remains intact. Of course, you should always read the book first because that is where the nuances live.

Melani My method of reading Harry Potter was read a book, watch the movie. I really enjoyed this way, but everybody is different...at first I was going to read all the books then watch the movies, but I was dying to see the movies too! So definitely do what you feel is best, and what interests you.

David Wilmot A movie will never capture the full breath of what a writer folds into the fabric of their work. READ the book first. It would be wonderful if my book Duplicity were to be made into a movie but I would live in fear of the cutting room floor.

message 11: by Lori (last edited Aug 31, 2013 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Definitely read the books first. You'll understand the underlying plot and that will make the movies better. Take The Order of the Phoenix - there is probably only 1/3 of the book, or less, in the movie. Every one of the HP books are great and that's why I've read them all, from 1 to 7, 8 times and counting. It's a magical world Harry lives in and they are magical books. As a general rule, books should be read before watching a movie if you plan to read the book. Happy Reading!!! I envy you getting to read them for the 1st time.

amanda you have ALOT in front of you!! :D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Read all the books first.it gives you more detail

message 14: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Cowan As you can see, there is good advice on both sides. However, you know how much of a book remains with you once the last page is read and the book is closed. Using that as your compass, if you will, make your choice. Waiting simply keeps you from reading a well-written and amazing story. Dive in and enjoy.

Cameron Of course you should! After all, aren't books always better than the movie?

message 16: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Cowan Agreed.

Italia8989 You can do it either way. To see which you would prefer, read the first book and then try out the movie. If you decide the movies are great, then go for watching one per book. If you think it would be better to get the full-on book experience, read all the books first so there are never any spoilers. Hope I helped!

David Wilmot Nathalie wrote: "What should i do? Should I first read all the books and then watch the movies, or should I read the first books and the watch the first movie and so on?

I have never read nor watched harry potter ..."

One at a time is good. The movies follow the books for the most part. I didn't read the first book until I had viewed the first movie. I was glad that I read the rest of the books before the movies. You must read the Goblet of Fire before watching the movie, or you will miss a lot.

message 19: by Astoria (last edited Sep 01, 2013 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Astoria In My experience, I read the first 3 books in a row and then the first movie came out like 2 years later. So I would say, read all books first- because at least one of the advantages of being new to the fandom is that you don't have to wait in between books. It was agony for some of us to wait for the next book.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard is also a must read. I loved it so much, the stories are dark and at the same time not. The Warlock's Hairy heart is the darkest of them.

David Wilmot Astoria wrote: "In My experience, I read the first 3 books in a row and then the first movie came out like 2 years later. So I would say, read all books first- because at least one of the advantages of being new t..."
Yes it was, Same for the Lord of the Rings and Twilight.

Andrea BOOKS ALWAYS COME FIRST!

Mitali I would recommend reading all the books first, then watching all the movies. That way, you don't get too hung up on the differences between the books and the movies. Also, watching a movie of a book you just read might be a bit boring, but if you watching the movies after you've finished all the books, each movie will feel more fresh, as more time will have passed since you read the books.

message 23: by Moggy (new)

Moggy Read all the books first. I watched the movies first, as I was younger when they came out, and really wish I hadn't. I just couldn't enjoy the books as much as I knew what was going to happen. The books should come first.

message 24: by Akash (last edited Sep 12, 2013 04:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Akash To be honest, I watched the films before the books, though I only got to the Prisoner of Azkaban film after the Goblet of Fire film. Anyway, like most series, it is good to read the books first. Even though I watched Sorcerer's Stone before I read the books, it scared me a bit, so I didn't mind reading the books so I could visualize what I wanted rather than see the scary Voldemort as they show him in the film. I am thankful to have read the last three books before seeing their films. However, if you feel that you can't resist it, it's fine if you alternate reading the book and then its film, so you don't have to read seven books and then watch the films.