YA romance discussion

General > Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lesashoe) | 263 comments Mod
Feel free to chat here about anything!

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Trying to get started reading Gameboard of the Gods but the page count is making me hesitate. Has anyone read this book and if you have did you like it?

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Finally read it! A lot of people either love it or hate it. I loved it! Finally Saturday is rolling around so I can get more great books! I think I'll have to read multiple books from now on. I got my eye on Unremembered.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

I had a look at the reviews for the gameboard of the gods and it seemed that way, that you majority either loved it or hated it. Unremembered sounds really interesting, I'm excited to hear what you think of it soon!

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I actually got hooked on this middle grade book my mom was reading: One for the Murphys and I finally got and started reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes. I wanted to start reading it yesterday but I had a major biking/canoeing adventure around my block and in the back of my canal. My dad almost killed me (exaggerating of course (;)- he denied me of water! and I got an annoying blister on my hand but it was fun (:
Are you reading anything good Lisa?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Sound like a fun weekend! Well I'm re reading 13 Little blue envelopes for the group and reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's really good so far but sad, I'll let you know what I think when finish.

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Awesome (: Can't wait to read about it. Finished One for the Murphys. I was a blubbering fool by the end. I'm only 53 pages in 13 little Blue Envelopes. I want to make it last.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

That's was me with the fault in our stars,blubbering for the last fifty pages. Was it good? There is a sequel for 13 little blue envelopes if you didn't know, but I wouldn't look it up just yet may give spoilers away :)

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Me too :D That book got to me so bad. I need to read more John Green books.
It was a really sweet/hopeful book.
I know! I haven't checked out the summary for fear I will ruin something which I sometimes do when I'm really into a book.
Finished Bruised in one day. I don't know why because I felt it was lacking throughout :/

message 10: by Lisa (new)

The blurb for Bruised on Goodreads doesn't sell the book to me much? Did it have any positive points to it?

message 11: by Adriana (last edited Sep 15, 2013 04:08PM) (new)

Adriana She's a black belt. That's rare. The MC is actually pretty cool and her brother is very caring. The romance in the beginning was exciting... but lacking everywhere.

Reading Choker with my mom. So many conspiracy theories running around in my head.

How is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? I don't usually like 9/11 stories but I'm curious about that one. It's kind of famous :P

message 12: by Lisa (new)

To be honest I haven't had time to read that much as a lot of my school work is due in a couple of days. Choker sounds interesting, what is it about?

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I had that same problem last week with this online assignment and essay due :/ Choker is about a girl who gets bullied. Her best friend from childhood comes into town and remakes her so much so that she starts gaining confidence and starts talking to her crush. Problem is a girl is dead right after the best friend comes into town and then another girl goes missing. It's really suspenseful. I knew what was happening but it made it all the more exciting reading about it!

Aah!!! Just finished Autumn. Such an indulgent read. Cute romance too. No one is whiny. The main characters are very likable and the whole story is great. MAJOR cliffhanger!

Hey, I was wondering if next time we can have two monthly reads? This is the only place where I've done monthly reads in a while.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Sounds like an interesting book indeed. 2 books is a great idea, I just wanted to start with one as it was the first monthly book for the group.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Autumn sounds good, I might look into it and add it to the next poll for what to read!

message 16: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Awesome! I need to see if I have Just One day in my library (:

So busy... one of my professor's was not responding to my questions about the next assignment. Thank goodness it was easy because I had to do it last minute. Most of my week was ruined because of her -__- and I have an online exam tomorrow and stats exam Monday! Ugh.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Good luck for your exams!!!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

How is everyone this October?

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Good Job I'm very happy for you !! I haven't heard of it, what's it about?

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana That class sounds awesome. Not like the stats class I have that's midterm is coming up. Hopefully it's easier than I think as well. I haven't read Angelfall yet. Have you ever read Unearthly? Is it anything like that?

I'm reading As You Wish and The Shining. After those I want to read Pivot Point. I don't want to look at the section on it. Is anyone reading it? Is it good so far?

message 21: by Lisa (new)

I'm about 200 pages into pivot point. It's fairly good I'm enjoying the concept and how they have set it out.

message 22: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Awesome! I decided to start tomorrow :D
I'm almost done with As You Wish so it's perfect timing.

message 23: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Haha (: I think you will like where Boundless' story takes you.

I actually wanted to know if it was an angel book. The name makes me think that way but I haven't heard too much about it.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Im glad you enjoyed the book! I was so annoyed about the ending though and that the sequel of Pivot Point coming out in FEBRUARY ughh :(

message 25: by Lisa (new)

I understand your pain Taylor haha, I've replied aswell on the pivot point book discussion, I thought we could talk about it more there :)

message 26: by Lisa (new)

That's amazing! I'll go vote for her now

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Hey everyone we currently have 2 votes each on The Sky Is Everywhere and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and 3 votes on Eleanor & Park. and one vote each on Pushing the Limits and Twenty Boy Summer. So PLEASE go vote for the book you want to read in december as I'm going to pick them in around 5 days :)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Let us know what you think and I'll add it to January's poll?

message 29: by Demi (new)

Demi Spencer | 10 comments Reason to Breathe I think this book would be a good read for the group. It was unlike most books ive read and i enjoyed it so much i went out and bought the entire series.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Reason to breathe looks really interesting and it's got some good reviews, I'll add it to January's poll!

message 31: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Finals week coming up! I can't wait until I can stop stressing and actually sit down and read :P

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Good luck guys!! I just finished my exams so I have 3 days left and then I'm on holidays yay. I can actually read but I have 6 books to read for school as well as the ones I want to read. So much reading to do.

message 33: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) Reason to Breath is too much! so intense! You will be caught in the series. They are a little dark though...

message 34: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I've been free since Saturday afternoon and I've finally been able to read again. I've read: The Almost Truth and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Adriana wrote: "I've been free since Saturday afternoon and I've finally been able to read again. I've read: The Almost Truth and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour."

How did you find The Almost Truth, it sounds interesting but may be slightly cliche and lacking interest. Thats just me judging the book by reviews I've read.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

also does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to improve YA romance? I'm all ears :)

message 37: by Lisa (new)

ALSO to everyone I have started a new discussion folder called Topic discussions where if you want to talk about a specific subject you can.
I've started it off with talking about romance in YA books and how far is to far etc.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Don't forget to vote for the books you want to read in February!! You can find the poll on the homepage for YA romance.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Hey everyone I know this is a bit random but bear with me. You may know of a tshirt website called Threadless where people can submit their art. My boyfriend has been lucky enough to get his artwork approved and in order to get them printed he needs as many 5/5 votes as he can.

It would mean a whole lot if any of you could go over and vote 5's (or whatever you think they deserve) for his art. You have to make an account but you can just use an old email or something really everything helps.

his link is here https://www.threadless.com/@Darcy-CM

thankyou so much and I hope this doesn't bother anyone :) x

message 40: by krisusnoona (new)

krisusnoona | 13 comments so many books to read so little time , you know the feeling guys , hahaha
can reading be a legit job , hahahah sheesh

message 41: by Lisa (new)

krisus wrote: "so many books to read so little time , you know the feeling guys , hahaha
can reading be a legit job , hahahah sheesh"

I feel that, I'm struggling between reading the books on my to read pile and school books that I should be studying.

message 42: by krisusnoona (new)

krisusnoona | 13 comments lisa wrote: "Sound like a fun weekend! Well I'm re reading 13 Little blue envelopes for the group and reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's really good so far but sad, I'll let you know what I think..."

i've watched the movie , and i say its one of my fav movies though i havent read the book , have you watched it too?

message 43: by Lisa (new)

krisus wrote: "lisa wrote: "Sound like a fun weekend! Well I'm re reading 13 Little blue envelopes for the group and reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's really good so far but sad, I'll let you know..."

Yes! I love the movie. I actually watched it before I read it but it is a favourite book of mine also. It's one of those books where every line is a worthy quote!

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelreaditwrite) So what has everyone been up to? What books are you guys reading/have recently read/are waiting to read?

And who is SO EXCITED OMG FOR TFIOS MOVIE???

message 45: by Lisa (new)

I am hella excited but kinda nervous as well!!!! I am reading a zombie book that is like the walking dead from a child who is infected pov it is pretty interesting

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelreaditwrite) I think I'm a bit nervous about tfios too, but mostly just excited. I can agree with the emotionally unprepared part though! I've already made plans with friends to see it opening night.

Ooohhh I've been eyeing Ruby Red for awhile! Let us know if you like it. As for Rebel Belle, I've heard a lot about it form BookTube and other blogs. It sounds really interesting, but I probably won't buy it because I'm really picky with what I buy and I hardly ever buy hardcovers. I'm waiting until the library here buys it and then I will likely read it.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Taylor wrote: "Rachel wrote: "So what has everyone been up to? What books are you guys reading/have recently read/are waiting to read?

And who is SO EXCITED OMG FOR TFIOS MOVIE???"

I going to agree with Lisa. I..."

I have heard so much about Rebel Belle it is crazy. The cover kind of annoys me though hmmm I think that is just me personally judging a book by its cover. I am definitely interested to hear what you think if you read it Taylor and Rachel.

as for tfios emotionally unprepared is the best term to describe how I am feeling ahhah thank you

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Taylor wrote: "Ruby Red was a pretty good book. Oh who am I kidding its been two days and I am already on the last book. The plot is really original and it becomes really engrossing. I think you would enjoy it Ra..."

I am quite excited to read They Summer I Turned Pretty even though I am going into winter hahah. My friends are doing a performance of pride and prejudice as part of their drama group and so it ties in really well for me as I will read it then be able to see it performed!

message 49: by Rachel (last edited Apr 30, 2014 11:13PM) (new)

Rachel (rachelreaditwrite) Ok, I will definitely have to add Ruby Red to my immediate TBR because I keep seeing the books from that series at the library and I'm super intrigued! I also say Hex Hall a week or so ago but I didn't pick it up because I wasn't quite sure.

I've seen various adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (I think my favourite is the lizzie bennet series on youtube in vlog form, which is so good!) so I'm excited to finally read the actual book! I loved Northanger Abbey so that's even more incentive.
I looked for The Summer I Turned Pretty at two of the libraries I was at and it isn't on the shelves at either, but I think one is coming in soon, so maybe I'll grab it then. I'll see how long it takes me to read P&P

Also just as a side not, I'm not some crazy person that lives in the library even though I mention looking for/picking up books a lot LOL, I work in the library so I check the teen section almost everytime I work before or after my shift.

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Rachel wrote: "Ok, I will definitely have to add Ruby Red to my immediate TBR because I keep seeing the books from that series at the library and I'm super intrigued! I also say Hex Hall a week or so ago but I di..."

hahhah its okay in a way we are all crazy book people I think. I haven't heard of the lizzie bennet series I will check it out!

« previous 1