All About Books discussion

The Monday Poem > 'The Cure at Troy' (closing chorus) by Seamus Heaney R.I.P (30.08.2013)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Now it’s high watermark
and floodtide in the heart
and time to go.
The sea-nymphs in the spray
will be the chorus now.
What’s left to say?

Suspect too much sweet-talk
but never close your mind.
It was a fortunate wind
that blew me here. I leave
half-ready to believe
that a crippled trust might walk

and the half-true rhyme is love.

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:27AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Beautiful. Thanks for posting it Jenny.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Today is not Monday nor is it my turn. But today Irish poet, playwriter, translator, lecturer and recipient of the 1995 Nobel Prize in Literature died. I thought I'd post this in his honor.

message 4: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Thanks Jenny - a fitting tribute to a great poet. I feel really sad, I suppose it's because some of his poems have really impacted me. What a wonderful gift he had of being able to affect others' lives by his words.

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11973 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this Jenny.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful poem. Alannah, I saw that you posted about reading an anthology next year and I'd like to do that as well. Maybe we should read it together? I get do much more out of reading and discussing poetry than just reading it

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Heather wrote: "Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful poem. Alannah, I saw that you posted about reading an anthology next year and I'd like to do that as well. Maybe we should read it together? I get do much ..."

Same here, I actually thought about maybe starting a quarterly/seasonal readalong or groupread for poetry in 2014, I was just worrying that it would be a bit much with everything else going on. But maybe we could have a go with Seamus Heaney together if you don't mind us joining in Alannah?

message 8: by Alannah (new)

Heather wrote: "Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful poem. Alannah, I saw that you posted about reading an anthology next year and I'd like to do that as well. Maybe we should read it together? I get do much ..."

That sounds like a good plan. I think Jenny would like to join in as well.

message 9: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Well done, Jenny. How else can one remember Seamus Heaney and pay the respects due to him other than reading his poems and sharing them with the others?

Being part of Monday Poem makes me proud.

message 10: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments So sad. I believed he would always be here in person. I would really love a readalong of Heaney's poetry. (Btw I think the idea of a regular groupread of poetry is very nice).

message 11: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jenny wrote: "Heather wrote: "Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful poem. Alannah, I saw that you posted about reading an anthology next year and I'd like to do that as well. Maybe we should read it together..."

I'd like to join in too, I have one of his "selected poems" collections and would love to read and discuss them...

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy | 422 comments Thanks for posting this. His translation of Beowulf is one of my favorites. i plan on reading his work tonight.

message 13: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) What a beautiful poem, thanks for posting.

I don't think I've ever read anything by Heaney before, although I did know he had a reputation as a great writer. I've never studied English Lit so maybe that's got something to do with it, as I know a lot of people first encounter him at school/university, but seeing so many of my friends posting his poetry on social media sites has made me realise how great his writing actually is. I'm kind of sad that it has taken him dying to make me actually look out his work, but know I've started I've definitely want to read more of his poetry, and will happily join in with any future readalongs.

message 14: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
Rrally a beautiful poem Jenny. Nice way to start our monday poems

message 15: by Jenny (last edited Aug 30, 2013 02:39PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments As I was just posting over in 'Poetry Chat' where Katy and Elaine were also discussing a readalong of Seamus Heaney's poems, I was wondering whether it might be nice to set up a readalong for the time of being since 2014 is still a far way off, where we can each pick a collection to read, and meet there to share and discuss. We can leave it open for a few month since it ususally it takes longer to read poetry than it does to read novels. This way it could be our inofficial autumn poetry group read. What do you think. (@ Alannah, I'd still happily read along a selection of your choice in 2014 though)

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jenny wrote: "As I was just posting over in 'Poetry Chat' where Katy and Elaine were also discussing a readalong of Seamus Heaney's poems, I was wondering whether it might be nice to set up a readalong for the t..."

Good idea, Jenny.

message 17: by Alannah (new)

Jenny wrote: "As I was just posting over in 'Poetry Chat' where Katy and Elaine were also discussing a readalong of Seamus Heaney's poems, I was wondering whether it might be nice to set up a readalong for the t..."

I will check it out, I might end up doing both as I am a big fan of his work.

message 18: by Sigourney (new)

Sigourney (psthebirdbites) | 226 comments Lovely idea to post this Jenny :) it's a beautiful poem. I've never read much of his work but it's always sad when someone so respected and talented passes away.

message 19: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 283 comments This poem is lovely Jenny! Very sad about Heaney - I don't know many of his poems but I like his translation of Beowulf, it was really well done. A group poetry read sounds brilliant!

message 20: by Alannah (new)

Laurel wrote: "This poem is lovely Jenny! Very sad about Heaney - I don't know many of his poems but I like his translation of Beowulf, it was really well done. A group poetry read sounds brilliant!"

I haven't tried his translation of Beowulf but I loved his translation of
The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I've opened a thread for our Seamus Heaney readalong here for anyone who would like to join. It will run all the way through autumn.

message 22: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 283 comments Alannah wrote: "Laurel wrote: "This poem is lovely Jenny! Very sad about Heaney - I don't know many of his poems but I like his translation of Beowulf, it was really well done. A group poetry read sounds brilliant..."

Thanks Alannah - I will have to check that out!

message 23: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Heaney's last words to his wife: "Do not be afraid."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/vide...

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Great link, thank you Dhanaraj.