You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > How much do you read?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:41AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Just out of curiosity, how much time do you spend reading per day or per week? Or how many books do you read per week/month?

I have always liked to read, but for some reason it really started to increase this year in April or May, and even more so when I got an ereader in July. It's like I read one very fascinating book and all of a sudden I couldn't stop anymore! It's starting to feel like an addiction ;) I think I read 22 books since May, which is around 6 per month. 14 of those I read in the last 1,5 months, so two books a week approximately.

I read on the train to and from work each day (40-45 minutes each way), and most days also an hour or so at home in the evening. And a few hours in the weekend, but that depends a bit on how many other things I have planned (which is not too much usually :))

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Aug 30, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I try and read for an hour or two everyday, usually in the evenings before I go to bed. I also try and get a bit of extra reading done during the day at weekends where possible. On average I read about 4 or 5 books every month (although this does vary depending on the length of the books and whether I am taking part in any Topplers). I have always been a reader but I have really gotten into reading this past year, after I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. Books have been/are something of an escape for me :)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Good thread idea, Peggy!

I usually listen to an audiobook for an hour or two after work in the evening. Then, I must read before I go to sleep. Depending on the book and how tired I am, I can read for 15 minutes to several hours. Generally I read about 1/2 hour to an hour before turning out the light.

Sorry to hear about your illness Lisa. Aren't books great distraction?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "Good thread idea, Peggy!

I usually listen to an audiobook for an hour or two after work in the evening. Then, I must read before I go to sleep. Depending on the book and how tired I am, I can ..."

Thanks Janice. Yes, books are great distractions. The best distractions I think :)

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments It's variable.

I usually read before going to bed. For 2 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the book and how tired I am.

I recently discovered that our national library had had audiobook and ebook collection that any one in the Province had acces so I stated listening to audio while doing chores around the house.

Now, I have "just in case" books (future currently reading books) in car, dance bag, zumba bag, laptop bag and always have one on my phone. In case I get stuck with nothing to do for a bit. Amazing how much reading you can do hide waiting for a friend or stuck in a line somewhere.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I also always make sure to have a book with me, just in case I get stuck somewhere with nothing to do. Like yesterday, when my train was cancelled and I had to wait 40 minutes for replacement buses to arrive. An ereader is perfect for that, I never run out of books and it's small and doesn't weigh much.

I have never considered audio books. I'm sure they make chores more fun, but I always get distracted when I have to listen for a long time, so I'm afraid I would never be able to follow the story.

message 7: by Esther (last edited Aug 30, 2013 07:57AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments Peggy wrote: "I also always make sure to have a book with me, just in case I get stuck somewhere with nothing to do. Like yesterday, when my train was cancelled and I had to wait 40 minutes for replacement buses..."

I usually go for "light Reads" in y audio. Mostly cozy mysteries or the like, books that do not take to much concentration. And there is also the "go back" option... which I use often on days where my mind wanders. :)

I a currently listning to Alexander McCall Smith "44 Scotland Street" series in audio. It's light and fun and perfect for the audio format.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I never used to read pretty infrequently then I heard about the website readitswapit and I started reading books that I wouldn't normally have gone for and this sparked my interest in reading again.

I then got a kindle and since having that, I have read much more and the amount I read has increased dramatically since I started using Goodreads. Reading is my addiction for sure so welcome to the club Peggy!

I might have been lucky to read 10 books in a year a few years back and now I can read 10 in a month. I have increased my Goodreads goal for this year on quite a number of occasions because I keep reaching it.

Like Esther, I recently discovered my library has an audiobook scheme where you can download an app to your phone and listen to audiobooks for free so I have been doing that - listening to them when I'm on the bus to work (I can't read on the bus as it makes me for sick) and also when I'm doing chores around the house or playing mindless games on the computer. I probably get through 2, maybe 3 audiobooks a month in addition to my usual book reading.

Reading is my main hobby so I read anytime I'm not at work pretty much and as I don't watch much TV other than the news while eating dinner (I do watch films and TV series boxsets though) it means I have plenty of free time to fill with reading. I particularly enjoy my weekend reads as I like to read for an hour (or so) in bed when I first wake up and my OH will bring me a cup of tea in bed - bliss!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I listen to audio books in the car. Nothing to heavy - fluffy reads only.

I then always have at least 1 other book on the go. often I'll have 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction, to allow me to read the fiction before bed and the nf during the day.

So I listen for 9-10 hours per week and probably read for at least 15 minutes a night, then other time depending on what life is throwing at me at the time!

message 10: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I usually read on the tram/train going to work and before bed. If the book gets very interesting on my way back home I continue reading at home. But it gets dangerous when it gets interesting when I am already in bed... It has happened that I go to bed 2-3 hours later than planned :D completely screws up my next day, but my will power is not strong enough to put the book away :))

So my reading per day ranges between an hour and 3-4 hours depending on how much free time I have. Depending on the length and excitement of the book I can read it in a day or two or it could take as long as 2-3 weeks.

message 11: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3486 comments I read every chance I get. I read a few pages at breakfast before I go to work. I take a book or my Kindle to work so that if I manage to have lunch I can read quietly. When I get home before dinner (I'm lucky because my husband has taken over that job since he like to cook) I relax with a glass of wine and a book. I'll read in the evening and before I go to bed. I probably spend less time reading on the weekend because that's when I do my laundry, gardening, family time, and anything else that I've neglected during the week. I always seem to have a book nearby. I'm not a fast reader and I don't skim. I figure if the author took the time to write the words, I'll take the time to read them. I read at least 1 book a week, sometimes 2 - 3. Depends on the book and how long it is.
I still haven't tried audio books. I know so many of you listen in the car. I tend to talk to myself on the way to work, going over what I have to do that day, possible conflicts I'm going to have, figuring out what I'm going to say to the boss so I get what I what, stuff like that. :D

message 12: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments I've never thought about how much time I spend reading each day. Since joining this group it has gone up dramatically. I usually have an audio book going for car rides and working out. A book I want to read but am struggling to finish ( I give myself reading goals- like a chapter a day), and a book I can't put down. All totaled probably 2-3 hours on most days.

message 13: by Marnie (last edited Aug 31, 2013 01:24PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments Lisa wrote: "I try and read for an hour or two everyday, usually in the evenings before I go to bed. I also try and get a bit of extra reading done during the day at weekends where possible. On average I read a..."

I agree that reading can be a great distraction- it has been my saving grace this summer. Sorry to hear about your illness but thrilled that you are finding comfort in books.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane For me, it completely depends on what is going on in my life and how much I am enjoying the book(s) I am reading. It can range from 30 minutes to 4-5 hours. The only true constant is that I read to my 8 year old for about 1/2 an hour every night. We are working our way through the Harry Potter series. I look forward to it every night as much as he does. I am honestly surprised how much I am loving Harry Potter. I think this is partly due to seeing it through an 8 year old's eyes.

I always have an audiobook I am listening to as well as a book I am reading. The audiobooks are for while I am doing chores around the house or if I am walking by myself. (I am currently living in Sydney, Australia, and I walk all over the place.) I have been listening to audiobooks for about 10 years and I do make certain rules for myself about what would make a good audiobook. It does have to be a "lighter" read and it has to be something that does not sound like it will have lots of confusing dates or characters. In a normal book, it is no big deal to skim back in the book to remember something. In an audiobook, that can be torture.

I try to read my real book for as long as I can at night and still get to bed at a decent time. I hate to say that television does sometimes get in my way with this. This is especially true since my children are still fairly young; my husband and I have to wait until after they go to bed to reconnect and watch "our" tv programs.

I wish I was a quick reader, but I am not. I feel like I have to really think about what I am reading and digest it. In fact, it is hard for me to finish one book and immediately go onto another. I like to have a day or so between books to give my newly finished book a little more thought before I can clear my mind of it and move on.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I agree with you about going immediately to a new book. It's not so bad with light novels such as chicklit, but I have the same with books that handle some more serious stuff and leave a big impression on me. In those cases I usually don't start reading again until the next day.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I agree with your comments about audiobooks, Diane, especially when it comes to the number of characters. I started listening to A Game of Thrones but gave it up because I found it difficult to keep up with the characters. I still want to read it in print form.

message 17: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Sep 01, 2013 07:37AM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Diane said, "It does have to be a "lighter" read and it has to be something that does not sound like it will have lots of confusing dates or characters. In a normal book, it is no big deal to skim back in the book to remember something. In an audiobook, that can be torture."

I so agree with what you wrote. Light reads are perfect for audio books. I actually began listening to books that I had previously read. Next I listened to books that I couldn't get into for whatever reason. Once I was into the book, I would switch to reading the rest of the book. And I seldom listen to some of my very fave authors like Alice Hoffman or Pat Conroy since I really relish reading their beautifully crafted sentences.

message 18: by Cherie (last edited Sep 09, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Janice wrote: "I agree with your comments about audiobooks, Diane, especially when it comes to the number of characters. I started listening to A Game of Thrones but gave it up because I found it difficult to ke..."

Janice - I cannot imagine listening to GOT, but I think reading it is very worth it.
edited post I think Travis listened to it.

message 19: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3486 comments I'm also picky about what books I'll read on my Kindle as opposed to real (paper). I have Game of Thrones (actually the first 4 in the series) on my Kindle and struggled a bit. If I put it down to take a break, it wasn't that easy to go back and refresh my memory of who was who, and what had just happened. Not like a real book where you can just flip back or go to a list of characters/glossary that some epic books tend to have. So for big books/stories, I definitely prefer paper. Quick reads or "lighter" books (mysteries, thrillers, romance, some fantasy/sci fi) are good for the Kindle.

message 20: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I read everywhere - even in the queue at the supermarket! I have a 20 minute train ride each way to work so I get a fair stab at reading there (unless it's crowded, boo!), and I also read for at least half an hour before sleep.

On Sundays when I have nothing on, I tend to read the whole day - it's my favourite kinda day :)

message 21: by Cherie (last edited Sep 09, 2013 12:58PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Roz wrote: "I'm also picky about what books I'll read on my Kindle as opposed to real (paper). I have Game of Thrones (actually the first 4 in the series) on my Kindle and struggled a bit. If I put it down to ..."

Roz - I read the series on my Nook ereader, and at first, I felt the loss of not being able to flip back and forth, like in a paper book, but I finally decided not to worry about it too much and just focus on the reading. There ARE a lot of characters, but they are mentioned so often that you get to where they will stay with you - IMO.

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Unless I'm on GR, like now, I'm ALWAYS reading in my spare time. I used to stay up 1/2 the night reading, but since my fight with cancer I just can't stay up late at all. So, I don't think I'll reach my goal of 200 books this year. I read 250 last year.

I agree that lighter books seem better for audiobooks... or they are great for a reread.

message 23: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments I just reached my goal of 100 books. Yeah.
Fiding access to a library that has audiobooks made a difference. As did the 40 hours of plane i did in June. I so wish I could sleep on planes.

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Esther wrote: "I just reached my goal of 100 books. Yeah.
Fiding access to a library that has audiobooks made a difference. As did the 40 hours of plane i did in June. I so wish I could sleep on planes."

Woohoo! Congratulations Esther!

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Congratulations, Esther! My ticker says I am 9 books behind my goal of 100 books for the year. I either have to find shorter books, figure out how to read faster or take a month off of work to reach mine, but I am still trying.

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8269 comments Hooray for you Esther!

I can listen to books at work, so that gives me between four and eight listening hours most weekdays. I usually read before going to bed, and like a lot of you it varies from a few minutes to a few hours.

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Anytime I have any kind of down time I'm pretty much reading. I always have either a book or my Nook with me.
I have tried listening to books at work, but I don't like it. It distracts me from my work and, for me, it makes the day longer.

message 28: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments JuliaC wrote: "Anytime I have any kind of down time I'm pretty much reading. I always have either a book or my Nook with me.
I have tried listening to books at work, but I don't like it. It distracts me from my..."

I rarely listen at work either as most of the time I need the concentration. But once in a while, i have some tasks that do required no brain power, then I do. Or try to. Doing a really boring task yesterday with a silly grin on my face looked a bit weird (listening to Bimbos of the Death Sun).

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8269 comments Esther wrote: "JuliaC wrote: "Anytime I have any kind of down time I'm pretty much reading. I always have either a book or my Nook with me.
I have tried listening to books at work, but I don't like it. It distr..."

Loved Bimbos, so much fun!

message 30: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 35 comments It depends on my schedule and stuff... I read a lot in school time, too, because my university major requires a lot of reading (plays)... then I don't read that much, so holidays are my time to catch up on any other kind of literature... but then again, it depends on what I have to do that week... I cannot focus on reading, unfortunately, if I am exhausted. I think a book per week is an appropriate guess.