Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2009-06 - Classics - What will you Read in June?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Lynne was selected to choose the shelf for June and she chose Classics. This should be a good one!

Here is a link to the shelf: (hopefully this one works!!)

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/c...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I am going to start with either Emma or To Kill a Mockingbird. Great choice Lynne!

message 3: by Cam (new)

Cam OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yummy Lynne! The Scarlet Pimpernel & The Adventures of Tom Sawyer at the very least I hope, there is just too many good ones to choose from.

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I'm going to start with "A Tale of Two Cities" and we will see what happens from there. It's pretty long and I read slowly!

Glad everyone likes the shelf.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2835 comments Mod
I'm going to start with Middlemarch by George Eliot. This book actually fits into all 5 challenges that I am currently doing. (Does anyone think I am getting in too deep? It's just that I keep finding challenges that seem fun.) In addition, I have been wanting to read it for awhile. After that, maybe East of Eden which I bought about 4 years ago, but never got around to reading.

message 6: by Lennie (new)

Lennie (wwwgoodreadscomprofilelennie) | 36 comments I'm going to start with "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. It's not very long (a little over 200 pages) so I might be able to knock it out in no time. If that's the case I'll also read "Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway.

message 7: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments Without a doubt I will go for Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I've already started a third of it couple of weeks ago but couldn't seem to pick it back up, as with all other Dickens I tried to read. So this month I will finish it finally!

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I'm pleased with the choice for June as I have quite a few classics on my TBR list. I am going to start with LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER. If I finish that in time then I think one of Steinbeck's novels.

message 9: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Love it! I'm trying to dent the 1001 books so I'll pull a couple off my shelf for June.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I don't know where to start with this shelf, I have so many classics on my TBR. I might start with Uncle Tom's Cabin and see where I go from there.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am so happy you chose this shelf, I had thought that if I was chosen this month I would pick this shelf too.
I am going to use this opportunity to read Wuthering Heights and The Scarlet Pimpernel and if I have time, I will try to get to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (lheeney) I am very tempted to reread Jane Eyre or Wurthering Heights, but since there are so many classics I have not read I should try a new book. I am going to read Rebecca or Pride and Prejudice...I have never read Jane Austen!!

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Stebbins | 10 comments I think I'll start with Sense and Sensibility

message 15: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1008 comments I plan to read The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, and, if I have time, O Pioneers!.

message 16: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Gosh people have great books on their lists. The Princess Bride, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, Great Expectations, O Pioneers!...all some of my favorites! I want to add The Scarlet Pimpernel to my list. As for Steinbeck, I would highly recommend The Grapes of Wrath if you only have time for one.

message 17: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1008 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Lynne! I read The Grapes of Wrath a long time ago, but wouldn't mind rereading it sometime. I mostly remember that it was depressing. I chose Of Mice and Men because I can't remember for sure if I've read it before, and it is on the Lost literature list. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. :)

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Luann- Of Mice and Men would be my second choice, and also a fantastic book. Plus, there are so many great classics out there I would definitely suggest reading one you haven't read before over one you have already read.

Do you know, I have never read the Grapes of Wrath, and me a big Steinbeck fan. Maybe I'll try that one this month instead of East of Eden, or maybe both soon. Of course I won't get both of them read for June.

BTW - what is the lost literature list, Luann? I will have to look that one up. Sounds interesting.

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Lyn wrote: "Do you know, I have never read the Grapes of Wrath, and me a big Steinbeck fan. Maybe I'll try that one this month instead of East of Eden, or maybe both soon. Of course I won't get both of them r..."

You've never read "The Grapes of Wrath"? OMG, I don't know if I can be your sister anymore. Actually, I've never read "East of Eden" so I guess we are even.

message 21: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1008 comments Lyn wrote: "BTW - what is the lost literature list, Luann? I will have to look that one up. Sounds interesting. "

The Lost literature list is a list of books that have been referenced/shown on the TV show Lost. You can get the list on quite a few websites - even on ABCs Lost website. Or you could join one of the Lost groups here on GR. My favorite (because it is the most active & people actually read some of the books and post about them) is: Flight 815-ers Unite. June would be a perfect month to take a look at the Lost literature list if you're interested because a lot of the books on the list are classics.

Luann wrote: "Lyn wrote: "BTW - what is the lost literature list, Luann? I will have to look that one up. Sounds interesting. "

The Lost literature list is a list of books that have been referenced/shown on the..."

Thanks

message 23: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 61 comments I am going to read Pride and Prejudice and I'm also going to be starting Vanity Fair but I may not have that done by the end of June.

Well - I was going to try to read two classics this month, but Middlemarch is much longer than I anticipated, so I may be down to one. If I have time, I might try to read another small one, but I'm pretty sure I won't have time for both Middlemarch and The Grapes of Wrath as planned.

So how come nobody warned me that Middlemarch is not only 921 pages, but 921 pages of VERY TINY TYPE. I am still going to read it, but it will take me a while, so--. I am going to revamp my June reads and read Robinson Crusoe and The Grapes of Wrath. I am also reading Swallows and Amazons which is a classic children's story. I bought it for my son when he was in grade school. He never read it, so it has been lying around the house. I thought it looked interesting, sort of an early Bobsey Twins type thing.

message 26: by Cam (last edited Jun 05, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Cam Lyn wrote: "So how come nobody warned me that Middlemarch is not only 921 pages, but 921 pages of VERY TINY TYPE. I am still going to read it, but it will take me a while, so--. I am going to re..."

Because if your reading Middlemarch, your not reading anything else and if your not reading anything else your not adding shelves to the shelf a thon. (OOOhhh) naughty Cam also recommends
Drood A Novel 775 pages, The Pillars of the Earth 976 pages & A Suitable Boy A Novel 1488 pages (this one was my fave Lyn, not because I've read it, coz I haven't. It's got the most, so it must be the best & I want you, to have the very best!)

Lam - would not recommend reading any of these long books at this time Lyn! (Joy is an exception! monthly reads June) & Cam, only one of those is a classic! are you paying any attention. Derrrrrrr

Cam - Sorry have headache, and my mind keeps on splitting;)

OK Lam, you found me out. Notice I haven't added any books or shelves the last two times. But - Middlemarch is a book that takes all of your concentration and reading time. I am enjoying it, just at a really slow pace. As for your other suggestions, I read Pillars of the Earth a few years ago (like maybe 10 or so?)and believe me, it did not take nearly as long as Middlemarch is going to. And - I loved it. I have his new one World Without End on my TBR list.

So Lam - do I detect that Cam is trying to throw me off track? Not to worry - I probably won't catch up to her, much less Luann, Roseanne, or Lynlee.

Such fun.

message 28: by Cam (new)

Cam I have WWE on my Mt.Bedside table as well Lyn, also have Middlemarch. Have read neither though! Loved Pillars.
Yes, you detected correctly Lyn. But maybe I need a third 'am'. One that actually gets stuff right, as 2 of the above books are deemed classics! Derrrrrrrr Lam yourself. Judging by the leader board my choices are............. Ram or Jam

message 29: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) How about "Dam" for when you REALLY want to get things wrong and Dam's alter ego "I am" for when you REALLY want to get things right? Sorry, I couldn't help myself, :) and yes I admit it, I am a school teacher and REALLY, REALLY need it to be Summer vacation! Only one week left thank goodness.

message 30: by Cam (new)

Cam Perfect Lynne, though I think Dam will get far more of a work out;) I had not thought of the 'I am' one, (very clever)!
Hope the last few day's till school hol's fly by for you - how much time do you get off Lynne?

I think that Dam and I am are good, and you could use Jam when you are stuck, and Ram when you are trying to convince me to read LONG books. Actually, I am just jealous that you have a name that can be fun. It's not as much fun to by Lyn or Dyn or Jyn. However, I think I will create Cyn for when I need and alter ego.

message 32: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Jyn could be fun for when you need a drinking buddy!

message 33: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Cam: wrote: "Perfect Lynne, though I think Dam will get far more of a work out;) I had not thought of the 'I am' one, (very clever)!
Hope the last few day's till school hol's fly by for you - how much time do ..."

I get until the middle of August. I can't wait to spend a good chunk of that time reading!

message 34: by Cam (new)

Cam You two are too funny, family reunions must be a blast. And I can see the clever gene runs in the family also. I like your take on the 'Jam' Lyn, & I think Cyn & Jyn might even go together quite nicely!
Lynne - that's a sensational chunk of reading time.

message 35: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Lynne wrote: "Jyn could be fun for when you need a drinking buddy!"

Dyn could be your excuse for when you read slowly. It was too noisy to read. Please, someone just stop me.

message 36: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Hey Chelsea- Glad you joined us. This is the best group. Full of fun people to chat with, and now we can add you to the list. :)

message 37: by Lynne (last edited Jun 17, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Cam: wrote: "You two are too funny, family reunions must be a blast. And I can see the clever gene runs in the family also. I like your take on the 'Jam' Lyn, & I think Cyn & Jyn might even go together quite ni..."

Okay Cam, I thought of another alter ego for my sister, although I should keep this one for myself. She could be Wyn whenever we go to Reno or Las Vegas! (or when she enters the Shelf-A-Thon!). Sorry, but blood is thicker than e-mail.

message 38: by Cam (new)

Cam Wyn - Now that's an identity that can come in handy. You can buy more books!