What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Brave traitors in WWII

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by dea (new)

dea (filmgremlin) | 13 comments Hi everyone I was wondering if

message 2: by dea (new)

dea (filmgremlin) | 13 comments Whoops! Anyway I was wondering if anyone had books about people keeping enemy prisoners of war or runaways safe in their houses or barns durning WWII- I've read the book Traitor by Gudrun Pausewang and I was looking for books like it. Romance is not mandatory but much appreciated :) thanks to all in advance!

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
If you don't mind a Children's/Tweenies, Twenty and Ten.

While not at war, there is also The Triumph Of The Scarlet Pimpernel

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Aug 29, 2013 07:39PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Dea wrote: "Whoops! Anyway I was wondering if anyone had books about people keeping enemy prisoners of war or runaways safe in their houses or barns durning WWII- I've read the book Traitor by Gudrun Pausewang..."

The Fox in the Attic
Summer of My German Soldier

then there's some 'diary'-type book I heard about..can't recall..Anne something

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Not quite what you're looking for - not hidden in a house or barn, but it sounds good:

The Welsh Girl
"From the acclaimed writer Peter Ho Davies comes an engrossing wartime love story set in the stunning landscape of North Wales during the final, harrowing months of World War II.

Young Esther Evans has lived her whole life within the confines of her remote mountain village. The daughter of a fiercely nationalistic sheep farmer, Esther yearns for a taste of the wider world that reaches her only through broadcasts on the BBC. Then, in the wake of D-day, the world comes to her in the form of a German POW camp set up on the outskirts of Esther's village.

The arrival of the Germans in the camp is a source of intense curiosity in the local pub, where Esther pulls pints for both her neighbors and the unwelcome British guards. One summer evening she follows a group of schoolboys to the camp boundary. As the boys heckle the prisoners across the barbed wire fence, one soldier seems to stand apart. He is Karsten Simmering, a German corporal, only eighteen, a young man of tormented conscience struggling to maintain his honor and humanity. To Esther's astonishment, Karsten calls out to her.

These two young people from worlds apart will be drawn into a perilous romance that calls into personal question the meaning of love, family, loyalty, and national identity....."

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Their Guilty Pleasures

"Jenny, Rusty, and Sarah might never have met had they not engaged in affairs with some of the soldiers quartered in their midst at Southampton, England. When Jenny Procter's very controlling husband enters the English army, she gradually begins to pursue her own interests, forming strong friendships with several of the American officers on the nearby base, including a Colorado doctor and a Wyoming horse whisperer. When Rusty meets Brad, who treats her like a lady, she pretends to be a typist, rather than the prostitute she has become, in order to retain his respect and affection. And 17-year-old Sarah is fascinated by a young German prisoner of war, whom she meets in the park, and their tentative conversations deepen into love. As WWII progresses, circumstances unite the three women as they each face hard choices, sacrificing much to achieve their dreams."

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Sorry, this doesn't match what you want (it's not WWII, it's the Cold War, it's a movie not a book, and there's no traitors involved) but I have to recommend this hilarious old movie, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

"Just because The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming was vastly overrated by contemporary critics does not make it any less amusing. The story gets under way when a Soviet submarine accidently gets lodged in a sandbar on the coast of a New England town. In his feature film debut, Alan Arkin plays the sub's second-in-command, who is ordered by commander Theodore Bikel to free up the sub and skeedaddle before an international incident erupts. Hoping to secure a power boat to tug the sub out to sea, Arkin and his men call upon vacationing TV writer Carl Reiner, passing themselves off as Norwegians. When this ruse fails, Arkin is reluctantly compelled to force Reiner at gunpoint to fetch his motorboat, while gentle-natured Russian sailor John Philip Law is left behind to guard Reiner's wife Eva Marie Saint and pretty neighbor girl Andrea Dromm (yes, love blooms). The plot thickens when the locals, notably bullnecked sheriff Brian Keith and superpatriot Paul Ford, spread the word that the Russians have "invaded" their little community...."

Supposedly this is based on a novel by Nathaniel Benchley, but I don't know the name of that novel.

message 8: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 709 comments Code Name Verity is not quite what you asked for, but it's a pretty stellar read -- spies and capture and heartbreak.

My Mother's Secret: A Novel Based on a True Holocaust Story is based the story of a woman who hid numerous Jews in their small town in Poland -- of the 30 Jews to survive in that town, she saved almost half. Not sure the book really does the story justice, but it's worth checking out.

Black Radishes has a younger target audience than you're probably looking for, and the main character is Jewish, but there's definitely some sneaking and shuffling to keep people safe. Also in that age range are Number the Stars and Honey Cake. In My Family for the War -- YA, but older -- the protagonist is sent abroad to safety.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments for non-fiction - The Hiding Place (Corrie Ten Boom) - she hid Jews in her house

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1076 comments Lobstergirl--"The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming" is based on the novel "The Off-Islanders" by Nathaniel Benchley.

message 11: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 709 comments The Hiding Place and Off Islanders for those last two links.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Pamela wrote: "Lobstergirl--"The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming" is based on the novel "The Off-Islanders" by Nathaniel Benchley."

Thanks, Pamela!

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1076 comments You're welcome.

message 14: by dea (new)

dea (filmgremlin) | 13 comments Thank you all so much- ahhhh so many wonderful books to choose from!!!!!!

message 15: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments Here are 2 EXCELLENT ones:
The Great Escape
and
Every Man Dies Alone

message 16: by Conner (new)

Conner (connermc) | 3 comments I really liked Beautiful Assassin: A Novel I think it falls under what you're looking for! Either way best book i've read in a long time

message 17: by Riley (new)

Riley | 4 comments Soldier X

little bit of romance

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Spy Wore Red is another one.