Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Alternating periods in Kindle (KDP) Select?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Stewart (bobstewart) Hi,

I have two books in Amazon's KDP Select program, which means they can't be listed elsewhere.

When the 90-day period is over, I'm thinking of taking them out of the program and relisting them at the other online retailers for maybe 60-days, perhaps making them free at the other sites for part of that period.

After 60-days, I'd take them down from the other sites and reenter KDP Select for another 90-days, then repeating...

Has anyone else done something like this?

I know it can be a pain to get them relisted and unlisted at some of the sites, but I can avoid those. I'm just wondering if there's something else I'm not anticipating.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer.

Bob

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 33 comments Apart from the faff in doing this, I haven't read anything in either Amazon's or Smashword's Ts&Cs that would prevent you from doing this. Barnes and Noble et al might have a different policy though.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby Vandiver | 124 comments Bob wrote: "Hi,

I have two books in Amazon's KDP Select program, which means they can't be listed elsewhere.

When the 90-day period is over, I'm thinking of taking them out of the program and relisting them ..."

Why are you in the select program? I'm on Amazon and list mine elsewhere at the same time. Just don't check the select program choice.

message 4: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Yes, that seems a bit of a faff, but obviously the choice is yours. Keep in mind some of the other sites like apple and Barnes and Noble take a while to catch up. Sounds a bit of a marketing nightmare as well.

Would it not be easier just to set up a voucher on Smashwords?

Would you not lose any reviews as well if you unpublish from Smashwords in 3 months?

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments Bob wrote: "Hi,

When the 90-day period is over, I'm thinking of taking them out of the program and relisting them ..."

I took mine off once and got very few sales. I went back and am still there. I have reserved a few of my books to put everywhere else.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Stewart (bobstewart) Peggy,

Yes, that's what I'm doing too. And I also have most of my (limited) sales on Amazon.

I'm still at the stage where where I care most about gaining readers, so it does seem a bad idea to keep what are my best books restricted to Amazon. I've been testing the response time of putting things on and off sale at iTunes, Kobo and B&N from Smashwords and there can be about a week lag. And they can be free at all those places.