What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Other > Sci/Fi Chimp with a machine gun

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (Paschendale) | 14 comments Maybe ya'll can help me with this one: I read this a few years back and in hindsight I thought it was by Heinlein, but none of the synopses of books by him I have since looked up seemed to match.

I can't remember the setup, but later in the book, there is a scene presented where a chimpanzee has found a machine gun (or at least a rifle of some sort) and is riding around on the back of an elephant. I can't remember much else about the book, but this scene stuck in my head and is bugging me. Does it ring a bell with anyone else?

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments How long ago is a few years back?
A few questions that may jog your memory:
-anything stick out about the cover?
-Setting? (Earth, Mars, parallel world, etc)

If there is anything else you remember, no matter how small, feel free to post it. It may jog someone else's memory.

message 3: by Leigh (last edited Aug 29, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Leigh (Paschendale) | 14 comments It was probably about 5 or 6 years ago that I read it, but it was not a new book even then. Unfortunately I read it as an ebook, so I didn't have a cover picture to go by. I am fairly certain it was set on Earth; at first I had thought it might have been The Puppet Masters, until I went back and read that. If I had to guess, if not Heinlein, it was another sci-fi author of that time period. I am fairly sure that, if not aliens involved in the story, then it was probably one of those where scientists get to playing around with some chemical/biological discovery that seems to improve people but has unintended side effects. Perhaps the chimp was an escaped test subject?

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2078 comments This sounds a bit like "Our Neural Chernobyl" - a short story by Bruce Sterling.

Either that or "Brainwave" by Poul Anderson

message 5: by Serendi (last edited Aug 29, 2013 01:04PM) (new)

Serendi Followed up on Andy's suggestion and just skimmed through Brain Wave; yes, there's a scene like that, near the end of chapter 8.

The book's premise: one day, everyone, human and animal, just starts getting smarter. They find out the reason (view spoiler). The story is really about what happens to the people and animals as their thinking ability changes drastically.

Been decades since I read it, but I've always looked back on it fondly.

message 6: by Isabel (kittiwake) (last edited Aug 29, 2013 01:13PM) (new)

Isabel (kittiwake) | 115 comments Serendi wrote: "Followed up on Andy's suggestion and just skimmed through Brain Wave; yes, there's a scene like that, near the end of chapter 8.

And it's the cover picture in the link in your post!

Brain Wave by Poul Anderson

message 7: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Good point - I just linked, didn't even notice. (I have it in A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two.)

How'd I miss THAT????

message 8: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (Paschendale) | 14 comments That certainly sounds like it might be the one. Many thanks, ya'll....it was bugging me that I could not remember the name of the book.

Will have to go check that out.