Casual Readers discussion

Genres > Steampunk

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Harlan Just wondering what everyone thought about steampunk. Do you like it or not.

message 2: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Great idea, Tim.:)

I can't say I've ever read any of the Steampunk genre, but I am very intrigued!

Here's a link, which I found helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Shepard Nowthat you mention it, I don't think I've ever read any steampunk either! Anyone have any suggestions?

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'm pretty sure that William Gibson is a big name in the genre..

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Harlan Gibson is cyberpunk. Steam punk is usually set in the 1800 or early 1900. Jules Vern would be called steampunk.

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (dabink) | 20 comments Never really read any, but am very intrigued by it. I've heard some people describe S.M. Stirling's novel "The Peshawar Lancers" as steampunk, but I'm not sure it quite fits. Either way, that was a great book that I would highly recommend! :-D

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Tim wrote: "Gibson is cyberpunk. Steam punk is usually set in the 1800 or early 1900. Jules Vern would be called steampunk."

Oh, really? I did not know that about Vern. I guess I have read some steampunk, then.:)

message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jordan wrote: "Never really read any, but am very intrigued by it. I've heard some people describe S.M. Stirling's novel "The Peshawar Lancers" as steampunk, but I'm not sure it quite fits. Either way, that was a..."

I just checked it out, and The Peshawar Lancers definitely counts as steampunk! Thank you, Jordan!

message 9: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson Well Incarceron and Sapphique are Steampunk and I totally loved those 2. So I think that I can probably handle it for the most part.

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Janie wrote: "Well Incarceron and Sapphique are Steampunk and I totally loved those 2. So I think that I can probably handle it for the most part."

What are those two like, Janie?

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick Shepard Dustin wrote: "Tim wrote: "Gibson is cyberpunk. Steam punk is usually set in the 1800 or early 1900. Jules Vern would be called steampunk."

Oh, really? I did not know that about Vern. I guess I have read some st..."

Same here. I love Jules Verne, and now that you mention it, you can kind of see that with Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

message 12: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Rick wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Tim wrote: "Gibson is cyberpunk. Steam punk is usually set in the 1800 or early 1900. Jules Vern would be called steampunk."

Oh, really? I did not know that about Vern. I guess I ha..."

:)

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Dustin wrote: "Great idea, Tim.:)

I can't say I've ever read any of the Steampunk genre, but I am very intrigued!

Here's a link, which I found helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk"

Thanks for the link Dustin. I've heard of steampunk but wasn't sure what it was. I've never read any thing in this genre.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) by Cherie Priest Boneshaker
This is a good steampunk series, my son got me this as a gift a few years ago. Its the first in the series and its really good. Julia it might be a good one to try, I think it was my first book in this genre:)