Read 100+ Books in 2013 discussion

September challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 103 comments Mod
Can you believe the summer is over? Where did the time go? I don't feel like I had a summer. Well, time to start September's reading list.

1. Read a book by an author whose name begins with I.
2. Read a book whose title has an I in it.
3. Read a book about school.
4. Read an historical book.
5. Read an hysterical book.
6. Read a book about clocks.
7. Read a banned book in honor of Banned Book Week at the end of the month.
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Chuck (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Yes summer is over and I'm back working part-time at the high school. Time to start reading my September's list.

"Bandits" by Elmore Leonard
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Now reading "Bandits" by Elmore Leonard. There are parts in the story that are "hysterical!" I've caught my self laughing out loud at some of the dialog and conversations the author has written.

"Working at his brother-in-law's New Orleans funeral home isn't reformed jewel thief Jack Delaney's idea of excitement -- until he's dispatched to a leper's hospital to pick up a corpse that turns out to be very much alive ... and under the care of a beautiful, radical ex-nun in designer jeans. The "deceased" is the one-time squeeze of a Nicaraguan colonel who's ordered her dead for trying to "infect" him, and Sister Lucy's looking to spirit the young woman away from his guns and goons. Plus Lucy's getting ideas about spiriting away some of the colonel's millions as well -- and someone with Jack Delaney's talents could come in very handy indeed."

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Oct 03, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

Rachel I love fall! Hello, September!

3. Read a book about school. Peculiar Treasures-Robin Jones Gunn 9-27-13
4. Read an historical book. Central Park Rendezvous-Ronie Kendig, Dineen Miller, Kim Vogel Sawyer, & MaryLu Tyndal 9/20/13
5. Read an hysterical book. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict- Laurie Viera Rigler 9/8/13
6. Read a book about clocks. Katie's Journey to Love- Jerry S. Eicher (visited several clocks while on a trip in Europe)9/11/13
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice. Happy are the Merciful-Andrew M. Greeley 9/1/13, Patchwork Dreams-Laura V. Hilton 9/2/13, Healing Love-Laura V. Hilton 9/2/13, Quidditch through the Ages-Kennilworthy Whisp/JK Rowling 9/3/13, What Alice Forgot-Liane Moriarty 9/6/13,Beside Still Waters-Tricia Goyer 9/14/13, Along Wooded Paths-Tricia Goyer 9/17/13, Beyond Hope's Valley-Tricia Goyer 9/18/13, Formula for Danger-Camy Tang 9/19/13, The Soul Saver-Dineen Miller 9/22/13, Sushi for One?-Camy Tang 9/24/13, On a Whim- Robin Jones Gunn 9-27-13, Coming Attractions-Robin Jones Gunn 9-28-13, The Way of Grace-Cathy Bryant 9-29, Child of the Mist-Kathleen Morgan 9-30-13

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Happy Are the Merciful by Andrew M. Greeley 9/1/13
Another entertaining mystery series by Andrew Greeley, Catholic priest. In this series, his detective/protagonist is also a priest and, as usual, is Irish and lives in Chicago. He writes well, his characters are always intriguing, and his plots are interesting. I like how he often writes from differing points-of-view when telling the story.
This fourth novel in the Father Blackie Ryan series that I've now read twice is really good. The solution is quite twisted, but everything ultimately makes sense by the end.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1) by Laura V. Hilton 9/2/13
After a slow rather simplistic beginning, I ended up truly like this novel's plot and characters. The writing was well done if a bit basic, and the pace was fast. This is a book that gradually sucks in the reader and won't let go; therefore, this is a new favorite. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series and more by this author.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Healing Love (Amish Of Webster County #1) by Laura V. Hilton 9/2/13
I truly liked this novel's plot and characters, and I really liked the unique solution at the end. The writing was well done if a bit basic, and the pace was fast right from the beginning. This is definitely a new favorite. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series and more by this author.

message 8: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Yes summer is over and I'm back working part-time at the high school. Time to start reading my September's list.

8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.
"Justice" by Larry Watson

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling 9/3/13
This was a cute little pretend history book, a well-written and entertaining book explaining the development of Quidditch, the magical sport Harry Potter and his friends play.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty 9/6/13
This was a well-written and truly interesting novel. I enjoyed the characters and also enjoyed how the protagonist learned to deal with her current life when she had forgotten the last decade. I also liked how her experience influenced events after her memory returned. I also loved the ending; it was a fun read.

message 11: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments 1. Read a book by an author whose name begins with I.
"Istanbul Passage" by Joseph Kanon
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading "Justice" by Larry Watson - 5/5 stars. If you haven't read any of his works, try it - you'll very pleased!

Now reading "Istanbul Passage" by Joseph Kanon.

"A neutral capital straddling Europe and Asia, Istanbul has spent the war as a magnet for refugees and spies. Even American businessman Leon Bauer has been drawn into this shadow world, doing undercover odd jobs and courier runs for the Allied war effort. Now as the espionage community begins to pack up and an apprehensive city prepares for the grim realities of post-war life, he is given one more assignment, a routine job that goes fatally wrong, plunging him into a tangle of intrigue and moral confusion.
Played out against the bazaars and mosques and faded mansions of this knowing, ancient Ottoman city, Leon's attempt to save one life leads to a desperate manhunt and a maze of shifting loyalties that threatens his own. How do you do the right thing when there are only bad choices to make? Istanbul Passage is the story of a man swept up in the aftermath of war, an unexpected love affair, and a city as deceptive as the calm surface waters of the Bosphorus that divides it."

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I just finished reading "The Irish Princess" by Karen Harper. It was very good. It was a historical fiction about Tudor England and the Fitzgerald family of Ireland. I liked the characters a lot and loved the protagonist. Gera was a strong person and did amazing things for a woman of that time period. I liked this book a lot.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict (Jane Austen Addict, #2) by Laurie Viera Rigler 9/8/13
This is the companion novel to Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict , and I must admit I enjoyed this one more. I found it to be better written in general, and I also thought that Jane's character as Courtney was developed much better than had been Courtney's as Jane's. Since I don't read as much fiction set in contemporary times, I thought that I would enjoy the modern setting less, but instead I found Jane's encounter with modern conveniences and different societal rules to be amusing and refreshing. I also found her epiphanies about herself and others in her new life really interesting. Definitely, a fun read and a new favorite.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Rachel wrote: "Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict (Jane Austen Addict, #2) by Laurie Viera Rigler 9/8/13
This is the companion novel to Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict , and I must admit I enjoyed this one more. I found it to be b..."

I'll have to try these two books. I like Jane Austen.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I read "The Judas Fields" by Howard Bahr in one day. It is a novel based on the Civil War. It was well written and had characters that stay in your head long after you've finished the book. I thought the book portrayed the effects of war on the mind well. It didn't mince words about how horrible war really is. This was truly a good book. Glad I found it when I took the kids to the library for Lego day.

message 17: by Sheila (last edited Oct 01, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

I finally finished my first book of the month. I struggled with TALENT STORM. Good story, poor editing.

So here's my list for September:

6/9, 17 books

2. Read a book whose title has an I in it--EEK! I'm a Woman by Dee Dawning--finished 9/14/13.
3. Read a book about school--Friday Night Lights: A Team, A Town, and A Dream by H. G. Bissinger--finished 9/21/13.
4. Read an historical book--My Notorious Gentleman by Gaelen Foley--finished 9/12/13.
5. Read an hysterical book--Bud the Crud and The Vampire-Werewolf Wars by Jamie Wasserman--finished 9/28/13.
8. Read a debut book--Talent Storm by Brian Terenna--finished 9/9/13.
9. Your choice--And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie--finished 9/26/13.

Bonus books:
The Curve Ball by J.S. Scott--finished 9/9/13
Anything for a "B" by Francis Ashe--finished 9/9/13
All Systems Optimal by Angela Davis--finished 9/9/13
All She Wants 4 New Year's--Nathan Stratton--finished 9/9/13
Bad Cupid by A.D. Cooper--finished 9/10/13 Terry Treetops Finds New Friends by Tali Carmi--finished 9/15/13
Clean Teeth, Dead Breath by Alexa Cossington--finished 9/15/13
Awakened by Ana Delany--finished 9/21/13
Bad Dog, Bailey! by Harrison Lacy--finished 9/21/13
Cheetahs: Awesome Photos and Fun Facts by Samantha R. Knight--finished 9/28/13
Cardio Session by Xavier Edwards--finished 9/28/13

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I finished reading "52 things kids need from a Mom". It was a devotional book. I liked it. Angela had real practical, simple to do things to keep close to your kids. It is meant to be read one devotion a day so it is a simple read daily. I would recommend it to people looking for ways to keep their family strong.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2) by Jerry S. Eicher 9/11/13
I truly enjoyed this one. I feel that Jerry Eicher has become so much more experienced as an author. The first few books I read by him were a little dry and strange, but the books I've read by him this year and last were much better. This novel was well-written and entertaining. I enjoyed the changes in the characters as well and look forward to reading the last book of this series.

message 20: by Chuck (new)

8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.
"Kindness Goes Unpunished" by Craig Johnson

message 21: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished "Istanbul Passage" by Joseph Kanon today while serving on jury duty - Rated it 4/5 stars. The story takes place in Istanbul and many of the locations, mosques and other areas of interest we had visited during our stay there several years ago.

Now reading "Kindness Goes Unpunished" by Craig Johnson, Book 3 in the Walt Longmire series.

"Walt Longmire has been sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County for almost a quarter of a century and has meted out justice with charm and a high-powered sense of humor, but when Walt tags along with good friend Henry Standing Bear on a trip to Philadelphia, he's in for a shock. When a vicious attack on his daughter Cady leaves her near death, Walt discovers that she has unwittingly become embroiled in a deadly political cover-up.

With Henry, Deputy Victoria Moretti, the entire Moretti clan of Philadelphia police officers, and Dog as backup, Sheriff Longmire intends to introduce a little western justice from his saddlebag of tricks to the City of Brotherly Love, where no act of kindness goes unpunished."

message 22: by Chuck (new)

"Snow Hunters" by Paul Yoon
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.

message 23: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading this morning "Kindness Goes Unpunished" by Craig Johnson, Book #3 of the Walt Longmire series.

Now reading "Snow Hunters" by Paul Yoon.

"In this elegant, haunting, and highly anticipated debut novel from 5 Under 35 National Book Foundation honoree Paul Yoon, a North Korean war refugee confronts the wreckage of his past. With spare, evocative prose, Snow Hunters traces the extraordinary journey of Yohan, who defects from his country at the end of the war, leaving his friends and family behind to seek a new life in a port town on the coast of Brazil.

Though he is a stranger in a strange land, throughout the years in this town, four people slip in and out of Yohan’s life: Kiyoshi, the Japanese tailor for whom he works, and who has his own secrets and a past he does not speak of; Peixe, the groundskeeper at the town church; and two vagrant children named Santi and Bia, a boy and a girl, who spend their days in the alleyways and the streets of the town. Yohan longs to connect with these people, but to do so he must sift through his traumatic past so he might let go and move on.

In Snow Hunters, Yoon proves that love can dissolve loneliness; that hope can wipe away despair; and that a man who has lost a country can find a new home. This is a heartrending story of second chances, told with unerring elegance and absolute tenderness."

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Well, I just finished "Dial C for Chihuahua" as my hysterical book. It was pretty amusing. I laughed at a lot of it. I am reading it again to my dog obessed son.

message 25: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Next up my debut novel "Life without Water."

message 26: by Rachel (last edited Sep 15, 2013 07:35PM) (new)

Rachel Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1) by Tricia Goyer 9/14/13
This was such an interesting novel. I liked the characters, and I like how Marianna's journey is both physical and spiritual. A well-written and unique Amish story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by this author.
I enjoyed reading this the second time even more, and I definitely would've been confused if I'd read the sequels now without rereading this one; it's been a while since May. I caught more nuances in the plot than I did the first time also. I truly like this one.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Along Wooded Paths (The Big Sky Series, #2) by Tricia Goyer 9/17/13
This was such an interesting novel. I liked the characters, and I like how Marianna's spiritual journey is progressing. This was a well-written and unique Amish story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by this author.

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I finished reading the debut book "Life without Water" by Nancy Peacock. She is a young adult writer who wrote about growing up during the Vietnam War. It is interesting to watch the growth of the entire family not just the narrator. I liked that the book makes the unconventional wonderful. Like life.

message 29: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Here we are mid-September and I still haven't read all the books on my "To Be Read" shelf. Need another long camping trip to get this done!

"White Crosses" by Larry Watson
8. Read a debut book.
9. Your choice.

message 30: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Now reading "White Crosses" by Larry Watson.

"After a nighttime accident at the bottom of Sprull Hill in Bentrock, Sheriff Jack Nevelsen is compelled to try and protect a part of his hometown that even a hero would have trouble saving -- its innocence. For most everyone in the community would agree that June Moss, the quiet girl who had just graduated from high school, and Leo Bauer, the principal of Bentrock Elementary and a married man like Jack, had no business heading out of town together.

As Jack sets out to unravel the mystery of their deaths, he begins to create a story to shield his town, a lie that will reverberate throughout an entire community, and into the shadows of his own heart."

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3) by Tricia Goyer 9/18/13
This was such an interesting novel. I liked the characters, and I like how Marianna's spiritual journey brings her to an awesome conclusion. This was a well-written and unique Amish story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by this author. The ending surprised me, but I loved how it turned out.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Formula for Danger by Camy Tang 9/19/13
This novel was well-written, fast-paced, and suspenseful while at the same time having good, full character development. I truly liked it.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Central Park Rendezvous by Ronie Kendig 9/20/13
This was a sweet, romantic set of novellas, three of them historical set within one contemporary story. The writing was a bit simplistic, but it was good. I liked it.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I just finished "Consecrated Dust", a novel about the Civil War set in my hometown of Pittsburgh,PA. It also talked about an explosion that happened in Pittsburgh the same day as the Battle of Antietam. It was an excellent book that taught me some things I never knew about where I live. The characters was interesting and I know the places. Loved this book.

message 35: by Sheila (new)

I just finished Friday Night Lights about Odessa, Texas and the Permian High School football team. Very interesting and I think have gotten worse in regards to the pressure to win football games.

message 36: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Colleen wrote: "I just finished "Consecrated Dust", a novel about the Civil War set in my hometown of Pittsburgh,PA. It also talked about an explosion that happened in Pittsburgh the same day as the Battle of Ant..."

I love when reading a story it takes place in your own backyard.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Soul Saver by Dineen A. Miller 9/22/13
If I had not won this book from a Christian Fiction Devourers group contest, I would never have thought to pick it up for two main reasons. One: one of the biggest plot devices is that the protagonist and her husband are in a "spiritually mismatched" marriage; i.e., she is saved, he is an atheist. Since I do not have such a problem, I wouldn't have supposed that I would get anything from that part of the storyline. Two: the book description screams thriller masquerading as a Christian novel, and I don't ever read thrillers because I have enough problem with fear without purposely inviting more into my life. However, I ended up enjoying the novel fairly well. It was unique, suspenseful without being frightening, and even though I couldn't relate to the struggles Lexi, the protagonist, went through, it was interesting seeing the author's portrayal of spiritual warfare through the use of a demon manifesting through a few different characters in the novel. Overall, this was a good read although it'll never be a favorite.

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I like that too. It's interesting to see how things have changed and what's there now. I also want to look for something mentioned in the book next time I have a chance.

Chuck wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I just finished "Consecrated Dust", a novel about the Civil War set in my hometown of Pittsburgh,PA. It also talked about an explosion that happened in Pittsburgh the same day as t..."

Colleen wrote: "I just finished "Consecrated Dust", a novel about the Civil War set in my hometown of Pittsburgh,PA. It also talked about an explosion that happened in Pittsburgh the same day as the Battle of Ant..."

message 39: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I finished "Animal Farm" as my banned book. I loved it. I couldn't believe that I read it in one day. It is interesting to think over the ideas presented in this book and how relavant it is still today. I could also see how it could ruffle people's feathers.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sushi for One? by Camy Tang 9/24/13
I enjoyed this book. It was written well, the characters are well developed and a lot of fun. It wasn't as funny as I expected based on others' reviews, but I did sympathize with Lex and her difficulties. It's a new favorite on my shelves for sure.

message 41: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Approaching the end of September and still so many books to read!
8. Read a debut book.
"Devil In A Blue Dress" by Walter Mosley
9. Your choice.

message 42: by Chuck (last edited Sep 26, 2013 04:43AM) (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading this afternoon "White Crosses" by Larry Watson - 4/5 stars. A bit slow in the beginning and about half ways through the story I just couldn't put it down!

Now reading "Devil In A Blue Dress" by Walter Mosley, his 1st work introducing us to Easy Rawlins.

"Los Angeles, 1948: Easy Rawlins is a black war veteran just fired from his job at a defense plant. Easy is drinking in a friend's bar, wondering how he'll meet his mortgage, when a white man in a linen suit walks in, offering good money if Easy will simply locate Miss Daphne Money, a blonde beauty known to frequent black jazz clubs.... "

message 43: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments The month is almost done with . . . Oh so many more books to read!
8. Read a debut book.
"Devil In A Blue Dress" by Walter Mosley
"The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach
9. Your choice.

message 44: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Just finished reading Walter Mosley's "Devil In A Blue Dress," Book 1 of the Easy Rawlins series.

Now reading "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach, the "One City, One Book" selected by community this year. This is a re-read for me.

"At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended.

Henry’s fight against self-doubt threatens to ruin his future. College president Guert Affenlight, a longtime bachelor, has fallen unexpectedly and helplessly in love. Owen Dunne, Henry’s gay roommate and teammate, becomes caught up in a dangerous affair. Mike Schwartz, the Harpooners’ team captain and Henry’ best friend, realizes he has guided Henry’s career at the expense of his own. And Pella Affenlight, Guert’s daughter, returns to Westish after escaping an ill-fated marriage, determined to start a new life.

As the season counts down to its climactic final game, these five are forced to confront their deepest hopes, anxieties, and secrets. In the process they forge new bonds, and help one another find their true paths. Written with boundless intelligence and filled with the tenderness of youth, The Art of Fielding is an expansive, warmhearted novel about ambition and its limits, about family and friendship and love, and about commitment—to oneself and to others."

message 45: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I finished reading "Pennsylvania Ghost Towns". Contrary to what the title might suggest, this book is about towns that used to exist in PA but are not there any more. It was interesting to learn the history of these places. Many of them were company towns so I learned I little about how life was when manufacturing ruled the day. Interesting book.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Peculiar Treasures (Katie Weldon, #1) by Robin Jones Gunn 9-27-13
Katie Weldon-athletic,competitive,spunky redhead-is also good friends with Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen, both of whom are title characters in two other series although many of the stories involve all three friends. Because this series begins when Katie is a senior at college and deals with more complex issues, I think it's better suited to high school seniors and older. At any rate, I really liked the novel and how Katie discovers that she is harboring unforgiveness and pain in her heart; her spiritual growth in the novel is intense, and I felt empathy for her as a character. This is a well-written and fun novel.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel On a Whim (Katie Weldon, #2) by Robin Jones Gunn 9-27-13
Katie Weldon-athletic, competitive, spunky redhead-is also good friends with Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen, both of whom are title characters in two other series although many of the stories involve all three friends. Because this series begins when Katie is a senior at college and deals with more complex issues, I think it's better suited to high school seniors and older. At any rate, I really liked the novel and how Katie discovers that she is harboring unforgiveness and pain in her heart; her spiritual growth in the novel is intense, and I felt empathy for her as a character. This is a well-written and fun novel.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Coming Attractions (Katie Weldon, #3) by Robin Jones Gunn 9-28-13
Katie Weldon-athletic, competitive, spunky redhead-is also good friends with Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen, both of whom are title characters in two other series although many of the stories involve all three friends. Because this series begins when Katie is a senior at college and deals with more complex issues, I think it's better suited to high school seniors and older. At any rate, I really liked the novel and how Katie discovers that she is harboring unforgiveness and pain in her heart; her spiritual growth in the novel is intense, and I felt empathy for her as a character. This is a well-written and fun novel.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Way of Grace (Miller's Creek #3) by Cathy Bryant 9-29-13
This was my first Kindle read with our new "used" (and free) Kindle, and even though it took me while to get used to the buttons and everything, it wasn't too bad. It didn't bother my eyes as I'd feared it might, and it's not heavy, which is nice.
Anyhow, this book started out a bit slowly, and I wasn't sure how I would take to the characters who seemed flat at first; however, the small (but blaring) grammatical and spelling errors aside, I ended up enjoying this book. Most of the characters did develop more complexity and had growth and change before the end. I also enjoyed the suspense of the story. The ending completely threw me, which was rather fun--surprises can be quite refreshing. Also, I had no idea it was the third in a series until the end, so it works well as a stand-alone novel.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, #1) by Kathleen Morgan 9-30-13
This was a well-written and emotionally-tugging suspenseful novel. I enjoyed the characters, especially the protagonist, Anne, who remained spiritually strong and loyal to her betrothed despite a lot of difficult circumstances.