Challenges, Challenges! discussion

Archives > War Brides - Bryan

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Barrios | 19 comments .

message 2: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Rock | 148 comments Mod
I'm actually going to read this one. Sorry for sucking in August - I blame George RR Martin and the flu (that took me out for 2 weeks).

message 3: by Francesca (new)

You guys are killing me with your historical fiction. Lol.

I am enjoying it though. It's a bit confusing with all the different characters. Makes me feel like I'm reading Downton Abbey.

message 4: by Francesca (new)

Is it just me or is every chapter about a different woman?? Maybe that's the point. Lol. The version Lyndsay gave me did not have a description.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Barrios | 19 comments I'm with you Amy! I am enjoying the book but I feel like I need a list of characters to keep up. I just want one of them to have a happy marriage or relationship at this point.

I actually don't usually read historical fiction but Lyndsay got me started!

message 6: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments MWAHAHA historical fiction for the win, lol...haven't started the book yet I'm finishing a book, but I'm so tired I can't read for more then a few minutes before passing out, lol

message 7: by Francesca (new)

I guess teaching does that to you. I wouldn't really know. :P

Yeah! Can someone please be happy in this damn book? Geez. I get it's the war, but come on, not everyone has to be completely miserable. This is why I don't like most historical fiction - it's depressing. Angela's Ashes, The Other Boleyn Girl ... I prefer pretending everything was happy all the time - lol.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Barrios | 19 comments I am with you Amy. I actually love psychological thrillers and sleuth type books - and then sometime romances when I want something super easy to read.
Just finished the book and the ending was sad but I did enjoy it. I am now onto my paid assassin books that I love as well. What I like best is to read about someone paying to have people they don't like killed. That is my evil side.

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Lol! That's awesome Lee. I've never read any paid assassin books - at least none that spring to mind.

I seem to be getting into the thick of the plot of War Brides now - thank god. At 57% it seems a bit late for it to be beginning. (I'm trying to be cryptic as Lyndsay has been the lazy one this month).

message 10: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments HAHA, I'm at like 24% now!! I would be catching up but John is obsessed with OUAT and we must watch at least one episode a night and I can only stay awake until around 10, lol.

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Haha - even with working you might catch up to me then. God damn you and your speediness. Although, in John's defense - OUAT is extremely important. I know I couldn't live without it! 20 days!!

How're you feeling about Alice Lyndsay? I feel so bad about that. I hope you know what I'm talking about, lol.

message 12: by Francesca (new)

I just finished it and I have to say I'm left unfulfilled by the ending. Disappointed in fact. About Frances - I didn't want that to be true.

Tell me when you finish lyndsay so I don't have to be so cryptic.

message 13: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments I'm a little over half way now. I feel bad for Alice, but she's also a little annoying. Must keep reading so we can fully discuss, lol

message 14: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments I'm not completely happy with the ending, although I am happy that the little girls lived.

PS I'm done now we can speak freely :)

message 15: by Francesca (new)

But Alice is only annoying in other people's perception of her. Don't you think? Like we rarely got to hear from Alice herself - we only heard other people's opinions of her.

And I really wanted Frances to be alive. Really, really badly. I'm telling myself she is at least. Haha.

message 16: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments I can't believe that you don't believe she's alive, clearly she had her baby and is still alive somewhere, just has amnesia and can't remember anything.

I liked that the twins survived I really wasn't expecting that.

message 17: by Francesca (new)

Me neither - maybe I'm naive, but I wanted them all to be together. Happily ever after and all that garbage. This is probably more realistic - but it's not what I wanted to read. Lol. I clearly need to read a romance novel or something.

message 18: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay Erin | 99 comments LOL, yes you do. I thought this would have a happy ending. I don't like how much was really unknown, the ending felt slapped together after such a long lead up to the actual story I feel like the author got to a point where she was like, ya....I'm done now and smushed together an ending.

message 19: by Francesca (new)

Lmao - that's totally it! I was left feeling completely unfulfilled by it. Gigantic time jump and then bam! one of them's dead - not cool.