This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Archive > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Jan 10th 2014

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
This is the buddy read for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

It will start on January 10th 2014

As everyone reads at different speeds, we ask that if you're going to talk about a specific point / plot (rather than your general feelings on the book) then please use spoiler tags.
You can do this by doing the following:
< spoiler > enter the spoiler text here < /spoiler >

message 2: by Annabel (new) - added it

Annabel (kirbyland1986) Looks good I am in

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I am in, I have thought of reading in for a long time, and hope to find a new motivation for it :)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5947 comments Mod
I'm hoping to join this one, but I'm not sure just yet. I'll let you know when it gets closer. :)

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments One of my all time favourite books. I'd love to re-read but not sure I'd be able to squeeze it in!

message 6: by Marielle (new) - added it

Marielle Book has been collecting dust on my shelve for sone time now, so I'm in!!

message 7: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Sajid | 195 comments its a pretty long book for me :) i am starting it early so i could cAtch up with u gys

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Well I am still in - a lot of reading in January though - and it is a long one.

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Well Rida are you the only one? I will plan to start on the 10th, just didn't know if anyone else is joining?

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I plan to start this book as well, but most probably at the beginning of the next week, so somewhere near 12th.

message 11: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Yeah Anima - it sure is a chunkster though. But I am ready. Unfortunately I do want you to know I am completely behind on The Dark Tower series - and don't even know when I will catch up. I have lost interest.

message 12: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Sarah wrote: "Well I am still in - a lot of reading in January though - and it is a long one."

I started it but left it after 4 chapters. my teachers have given too many assignments and presentations :( hate this

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Rida, I hear you, I have my exam session in three weeks time and huge amount of work to prepare properly, so I decided to start this book and have it on the go for next two weeks as my guilty pleasure to rest in between studying.

message 14: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Lol, Anima good luck with your exams. But I find this book a little boring at start. Magic stories have always repelled me. May be thats the eason for i

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Thank you, Rida. And good luck with your assignments :). I hope the book will get more gripping further on.

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments I love this book and have it on my kindle, but I just don't have time for a re-read. I'll be interested in all your thoughts though!

message 17: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments I heard it takes awhile to get into the book

message 18: by Rida (last edited Jan 08, 2014 03:16AM) (new) - added it

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Sarah wrote: "I heard it takes awhile to get into the book"

Then there's hope for me :)

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments That is true Sarah.

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Ok hope to start in a couple of days.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm in 15% and it has started to be gripping. I read it slowly though, so it can be a reason why I'm not that well immersed into the world of this story. Still, I'm really curious what happens next.

message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments I have read the first 50 pages. Hope to get some more reading time in tonight, then maybe over the weekend. I haven't read a chunkster like this for about a year - Les Mis and The Song of Ice and Fire series were about a year and a few months ago.

message 23: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Chapter 4
I found the meeting of Mr. Norrell and Mr. Drawlight quite amusing when they met him behind the bookshelves quietly reading a book.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Yes, that one was funny indeed, Sarah. Only I would like sometimes that Norrell would be a little less naive ;)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm in about 40% now. And I finally start to find the story fascinating and intriguing. My favourite so far is Lady Pole's story.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Jan 15, 2014 10:55PM) (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Yes - he is a recluse, and quite scholarly. I am being patient for things to pick up - I am curious for the Jonathan Strange character to appear. In one of the footnotes it said a paper/book was written by John Segundus about Strange. I assumed Segundus was to become Jonathan Strange at first.

The footnotes are unique - and I was wondering if they are real citations? But I kind of like them.

CHAPTER 5
The faeries in this book so far - their realm or whatever has reminded me of the faeries on True Blood, but I need to learn more. It seems like it might have a dark side and maybe Mr. Norrell doesn't like that kind of magic? Need to learn more. Also seems like he thinks his magic can help in England's war with France?

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Jan 15, 2014 11:10PM) (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Anima wrote: "I'm in about 40% now. And I finally start to find the story fascinating and intriguing. My favourite so far is Lady Pole's story."

Well you have made good progress - that long huh? - to get going? Well this book was best book of the year (2004) for The New York Times, long listed for The Booker Prize and shortlisted for The Hugo Award. Got a ton of rave reviews and I know both Karen and Cathie loved loved it. So I am excited.

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments Yes it did take me a while to get into it. It actually took me a few months to give it a proper go and then I just loved it. The footnotes I came to love too :)

message 29: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments Chapter 8
Ah oh. Mr. Norrell just raised the dead - I couldn't help but think of when Danny made a deal with Mag Dur to bring Drago back from the dead in Game of Thrones with her black magic. I have a bad feeling about this. And I think one of my fav characters so far is Mr. Lascelles - Mr Drawlight's friend) - he is so witty and I have found some of his comments quite humorous.