Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > How long

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have applied to be librarian here. How long does it generally take before they give yes or no?

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Shaw | 6 comments it took me about a week or less

message 3: by Gene (new)

Gene I am not sure if writers can be librarians. I think they cannot according to a GR policy.

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 28, 2013 11:47AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Evgeny wrote: "I am not sure if writers can be librarians. I think they cannot according to a GR policy."

I (just a gr member) think they can be. But, I don't think it is common practice as authors have almost all librarian rights over their own books (if they get an error message saying they have to be a librarian to do an edit of own book— it's either a bug or they are trying to do something against gr policy like changing published book cover ).

I suspect that, in addition to whether or not more librarians are currently needed, the reason an author gave on their application (like everyone else's) would be a big part of staff decision.

When I was a librarian, I ran across dozens of authors who were librarians. Always possible I missed a policy change.

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoeyork) | 40 comments I applied and never heard anything. I would like to be able to edit my own series, which I can't do as an author, and help other authors the way that librarian author friends have helped me in the past.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like the same thing Zoe. I need to replace and take down some of my works

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoeyork) | 40 comments I don't think librarians can actually take down books, that's only for a super-librarian, and only for certain reasons.

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:10PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I don't think published books are taken down or replaced. Occasionally a goofy edition with missing or incorrect data shows up that will be merged to the valid edition (meaning not pulled off a member's shelf and no ratings or reviews deleted.)

While waiting on your application approval, go ahead and post the edits you want made and a librarian will do for you. Not a bad idea to start reading through the librarians manual since required of all librarians. Editing series, for example, not as straightforward as it seems.

message 9: by Lorre (new)

Lorre | 77 comments Shani, books that were published can't be taken down, even if they are not sold anymore. It was sold at one time and people added that specific edition because that's the one they own.
If one of your books has new covers or it is a renewed edition, you create a new edition. In case it has the same isbn or asin, you add a librarian not in the edit section saying it is an alternative cover or revised copy for isbn... or asin...
You can also add this info in the description box.